Shooting at 50 yards - Shooting Sports Forum

Handgun Misc All handguns that don't fit elsewhere!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By hottarod
  • 1 Post By pat701
  • 1 Post By hottarod
  • 1 Post By hottarod
  • 1 Post By James T. Kirk
  • 2 Post By hottarod
  • 1 Post By James T. Kirk
  • 1 Post By M1Hound
  • 1 Post By DDDWho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2017, 22:00   #1

Shooting at 50 yards

I had the range to myself this afternoon so I decided to try my 45acp Remington R1 enhanced and my .22 Ruger Mark 3. Both are super accurate guns that can shoot better than I can shoot them.

Uh, sadly not too great. For one thing, I could almost see the target, LOL. It was mostly a blur so I tried to hit the center of the blur.

My 45 was high and left. At the 10 and 15 yard pistol targets I couldn't see it but the distance greatly amplified the sight error. I adjusted my 45 at home so I will have to try it again.

I managed to actually hit the splatter dot(small) target several times with my Ruger Mark 3. Still, it was a bit right and high so I adjusted the sight on it too.

I was shooting using my range bag for a rest. I would like to be able to hit pretty consistently inside a 5 inch circle at 50 yards with these. If I ever get my CZ 75 I will want to shoot it out at 50 yards and hit pretty consistently also. I have some seriously thick round metal plate so I am going to weld myself up a gong on a stand so I know if I hit it or not.

My range prohibits short gun shooters from using the rifle range. They are concerned that the noob's that can't point the gun straight will be sending rounds off or up in every which direction. Every one of my shots hit the berm so I don't think this rule should apply to people that actually know how to shoot a hand gun although I am by no means any kind of an expert shooter.

The owner said that he felt comfortable with me shooting hand gun on the 50 yard berm, rifle side so I'm all good.

Last edited by hottarod; 05-31-2017 at 12:57.
hottarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 14:21   #2

Have a Sig P227 on a good day i can hit a 10" steel gong 3 out of 10 try's, on a good day. At 62 i now have few good days.
BengalBacker likes this.
pat701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 17:53   #3

you're just gettin' old and contrary.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:58   #4

Finally got my CZ and its weird.

It shoots dead on at 7 yards or so, goes 3 inches high at 15 which is like a 6'oclock hold and then 2 1/2 inches high at 25. I didn't put up a target which I should have but went over to the 50 yard rifle range just to see what I could do. The CZ looks to be about dead on at 50 yards. The only way I could be consistent with it was to shoot sitting and using my range bag as a rest. I'm going to make up my metal gong target and see if I can ring it.

I don't really want to have to swap out my night sights for a different set of night sights on the CZ so I think I will just cope with it. The CZ's are not adjustable.

Oddly enough at least to me, the bullet drop on the 9mm 115 and 45 acp 230 look to be almost the same out to 50 yards. I think I will re-adjust my 1911 sight so that it is about 2 inches high at 25 yards like the CZ and it should come down to zero or close at 50.

The only other hand gun I have is my Ruger Mark 3 target and I think I will leave it like it is because I was hitting the small splatter dot target at 50 yards with it the way it is with high velocity ammo.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. The CZ is an amazing weapon and so far, completely flawless.
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
Old 07-05-2017, 00:50   #5

Well, I have no idea why but it settled down to a 0 at 25 yards now. I've shot it a few times to make sure it won't keep going south and it is good.

I really, really, really like this gun, like really, LOL.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:46   #6

Tell ya what, 50 yards with regular iron sights on a pistol is no easy task. I made a video of my Beretta 92FS, and me "trying" to hit an 8inch gong at 50 yards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cENRGQdp6Fw
The iron sights completely covered the target when I was aiming. Good luck with your endeavor.
Old 07-15-2017, 16:26   #7

Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
Tell ya what, 50 yards with regular iron sights on a pistol is no easy task. I made a video of my Beretta 92FS, and me "trying" to hit an 8inch gong at 50 yards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cENRGQdp6Fw
The iron sights completely covered the target when I was aiming. Good luck with your endeavor.
That was a great video. It looked like you were hitting around 50 percent or so which on an 8 inch plate at 50 yards is pretty darn good.

It would have been interesting to see where your misses where too. Even your misses would probably have passed for self defence at that range.

I have some 1/2" steel round plate varying from 10 to 18 inches and I'm going to make those into a rack or hanger of some sort that I can shoot out at 50 for hand gun.

I did find some 10X leupold binoculars at a great price and I think 10 x will work for spotting out to 100 yards including .22. Variable 6 to 20 or so would be nice but I couldn't justify the extra cost right now.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:20   #8

Originally Posted by hottarod View Post
That was a great video. It looked like you were hitting around 50 percent or so which on an 8 inch plate at 50 yards is pretty darn good.

It would have been interesting to see where your misses where too. Even your misses would probably have passed for self defence at that range.

I have some 1/2" steel round plate varying from 10 to 18 inches and I'm going to make those into a rack or hanger of some sort that I can shoot out at 50 for hand gun.

I did find some 10X leupold binoculars at a great price and I think 10 x will work for spotting out to 100 yards including .22. Variable 6 to 20 or so would be nice but I couldn't justify the extra cost right now.
I would say I hit as much as I missed. A 12inch gong would have given a better sight picture as the 8inch disappeared in the sights, but it was pretty darn fun though. I say get the binoculars, any time you can get anything Leupold at a good price is worth justifying
Old 09-12-2017, 14:12   #9

You bring up an interesting point. I once was a member at a club that had rules that are meant to keep those still learning from presenting a dangerous situation to other shooters. This club has a qualification, both shooting and firearms handling, whereby a shooter earns the right to practice assorted disciplines on various ranges, making for a satisfactory day at the range for all. I have not heard of there ever being any shooting accidents as a result of this practice.
M1Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:11   #10

I have hit a ground hog at 35 yards with a Ruger 22/45 with red dot sight. Took 5 tries.

I have shot at and barely missed another ground hog at 40 yards with a Taurus 85 snub nose revolver. What made the shots noteworthy was I only missed him by a few (4-5) inches.