Beretta 92fs - Shooting Sports Forum

Handgun Misc All handguns that don't fit elsewhere!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Augie
  • 4 Post By Lone Gunman
  • 1 Post By grumpy_old_man
  • 1 Post By Kevin
  • 1 Post By RJF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2016, 21:29   #1
Registered Member

Beretta 92fs

Hey guys, So i have been looking at handguns for when I turn 21, Just for target practice with and So far I have been highly interested in the beretta 92fs, any one care to put in there two sense on quality / reliability of one? how is the trigger pull on them usually ?
frenzy731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:26   #2
RJF

I have one I bought new in 1994. It's a pretty darn good pistol IMHO, but not designed to be a target pistol (it is accurate, though). It has been reliable and the quality is good. Depending on your size, they are a bit fat around the grips, but most double-stacks will be. They're certainly not lightweight! I had bad luck with non-Beretta mags, so I only use factory mags, which are plentiful and somewhat inexpensive - something to consider in your buying decision.

I haven't measured the trigger pull, but from the double-action point, it is a fairly long and strong pull - probably designed that way. But after the first shot, the pull is easy and responsive for a service pistol.

Knowing what I know now (my interests have changed and in my old age weight is a stronger consideration), I would probably go with a Bersa UC pro in 9mm or a Bersa Thunder Pro in 9mm - both fine firearms and relatively inexpensive, but harder to come by. The UC pro and Thunder Pro both run just under $400. The UC pro is small and light enough for CC should you want to do so, and to me the felt recoil was a little less than the 92FS. I own a Bersa Thunder .380 and it is a very nice pistol that is my EDC (also own it's little brother in .22), so I am familiar with Bersa and they tend to multiply. They also have a lifetime warranty - no questions asked. Don't discount them, but additional mags (when you can find them) will cost you! The Thunder Pro seems to be about the size of the 92FS.

I have a preference for traditional hammer-fired pistols and a distaste for striker-fired pistols, not all do. All in all, the 92FS is a good pistol but around $150 more expensive than the Bersas up-front.

At your point, I think the 92FS is probably a good choice. Plenty available, as are parts. Buy extra mags so that your shootn' time isn't eaten up with reloading!

Others will chime in. My response is limited to what I own and have fired.

Go to a gun store and see what feels right and, if possible, to a range where they rent out pistols and see how it (and others) feels and acts before you buy. Good luck!
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 16:43   #3

No to 92f, yes to Glock 17. Much lighter to shoot all day and just as accurate. Also think about a nice Ruger SP101 or S&W 686 .357 mag/.38 special revolvers with 4" barrel. Those 2 out of 3 should keep you interested for many years.
nickndfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2016, 17:08   #4
Matthew 5:9

1911 Commander clones rule !...........and are widely available in 9 mm if .45 acp is too heavy for you.
Old 01-25-2016, 18:01   #5
Registered Member

Wow, thanks everyone for the comments and input ! i got my hands on the 92fs and it let me down a bit, didnt enjoy how it felt in the hands. but i am still searching so i will definetly try all suggestions
frenzy731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 19:14   #6

Do you care if it's hammer or striker fired? I've got a Sig P226 9mm (hammer) that is 11 yrs old and never had a malfunction. FNS/X-9 pistols are also worth considering.

Glocks don't really appeal to me (grip angle, trigger, aesthetics), but Springfield XD's and HK VP9's are 2 other striker fired options that are very popular right now.

I don't know of any 1911-frame pistols in the $500-$800 price range (comparable to above options).
223Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 19:30   #7

I have a 92FS and like it,I have fairly good sized hands though. Rubio doesn't know what he is talking about!!!
RJF likes this.
Augie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:21   #8
Draw, Varmint!

The Beretta 92FS is an excellent choice for a first pistol. You'll never outgrow it; and it will never lose its usefulness. They're better built, now, than they used to be, and can be highly reliable. Before you buy it I'd suggest that you ask the dealer to disassemble the slide from the frame so you can look at the internals and get a better idea of the quality of the machining that went into the pistol. (No tool marks, metal burrs, or the like.)
Old 03-11-2016, 01:10   #9

this gun is a love / hate type name because they make so many variations of it, but have you handled any versions of the Tanfaglio (sp?) E.A.A. Witness?
some say they're junk.....some use them in target and IDPA competition.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:14   #10

Originally Posted by 223Gator View Post
I don't know of any 1911-frame pistols in the $500-$800 price range (comparable to above options).
Rock Island, Iver Johnson, Remington, Thompson (Auto Ordinance), American Classic, .....to name just a few.....

google fu is a great thing
Old 03-11-2016, 16:25   #11

M9 or Beretta 92FS is made to very high specs. Lone Gunman is right. The only issue I would point out is that the grips are not made for small hands, so make sure it is comfortable in your hand before buying. Aside from that, they work and work well in my experience.

Anyone buys a M9/92FS, just make sure to stock up on magazines. Never know when some politician will trigger another run on the things, or worse. Other than that, a couple spare trigger springs and recoil springs, and maybe a spare locking block should keep it running for a looooong time.

Best,
Grumpy
RJF likes this.
grumpy_old_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 14:36   #12
Administrator

Originally Posted by frenzy731 View Post
Hey guys, So i have been looking at handguns for when I turn 21, Just for target practice with and So far I have been highly interested in the beretta 92fs, any one care to put in there two sense on quality / reliability of one? how is the trigger pull on them usually ?
I bought one in 1989 and love it.

Functioned perfectly with all types of ammunition.
grumpy_old_man likes this.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 17:31   #13
RJF

I got my 92FS because - at the time - that was what the Army used and I wanted some commonality of parts and mags.

It is a fine shootin' iron and suited me at the time. Now, 25+ years later, I'm more into .380 and a smaller handgun for CC. It is a physical thing. But the FS still sits in my bedside table as the first/second choice to put down any home invaders stupid enough to come to a remote farm with plenty of warnings (dogs and nosy neighbors)) and clear fields of fire.
grumpy_old_man likes this.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:14   #14

for you 92 fans a heads up jg sales has 92s models used in good shape for 250 bucks.if you happen to need one.
curt mini14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 20:35   #15

Browning BDM 9mm is one fine pistol....I have had one since they came out...
snakeoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 14:38   #16

I love mine , it's a 92fs stainless. First pistol I bought. Word of caution , if you buy this pistol starting out , be prepared to go nowhere but up in your next selection which will be pricey. The quality is that good. I added the Hogue finger grip to mine and everyone that has shot it loves it. If you buy the military clips for it , they need to be modified with a little filing to load them into the pistol.
Z-man33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 18:44   #17
RJF

If it fits your physical profile, the 92FS is a wonderful pistol. I loved mine, but as my medical conditions transpired, it is a little bit more than I prefer for CC, and more for SD at the bedside table.