• 1 Post By Rockys Pop
  • 1 Post By whofarted
  • 1 Post By Cypher
  • 2 Post By Ben Dover

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 14:54   #1
Child of the shadows

MYOB or Try Try To Educate?

A couple of years back I overheard a conversation at work in which a couple of reservists were telling another coworker that they would be happy to purchase any firearm for her at the Ft. Carson PX so she could avoid sales tax. At that point I stepped in and told them that what they were describing was a straw purchase and that they could wind up in serious trouble, I was promptly told to MYOFB and got myself out of the conversation.

I have also been told that if I was in possession of a handgun that wasn’t registered with the Colorado Springs Police Department I was in violation of Colorado law. The guy said it with absolute authority even after I explained to him that Colorado law specifically makes firearms registration illegal.

The same guy told me that I must obtain “special paper work” from CSPD to sell a handgun (this was years before the UBC law went into effect.)

I’ve also been told by a coworker (in strictest confidence) that she had an unregistered Glock that she bought at a gun show.

I’ve been told that Colorado law states that you may only carry a handgun in your vehicle if it is unloaded and in plain sight, this guy stuck to his story even after I printed off a copy of the relevant statute (CRS 18-12-204).

And last night I was told by a neighbor that a permit was required to even own a handgun in Colorado and that also long as you told someone first “I have a legally permitted pistol.” It’s OK to shoot someone to protect your property. I didn’t even waste my time trying to correct the guy.

Now, in retrospect I have to admit that in most of these cases I knew the person well enough that I should have known it was a lost cause before I ever opened my mouth but I have to ask is there a point where you just feel like it isn’t worth it to try to correct some of the miss information that’s out there?

Do ever hear another gun owner lay out a line of misinformation and just let it go? Or should we step in on stuff like that and correct miss conceptions? *

*By step in I don't mean interjecting yourself into a conversation between two complete strangers that has nothing to do with you anyway. I'm talking about someone you at least have some relationship with
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 14:24   #2

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
Know the laws of your state, so as to keep yourself above board. As far as others, you would be surprised at some of the tales that get considered as fact.
I tend not to interject, unless others ask specifically.
grumpy_old_man and RJF like this.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 16:12   #3

MYOB, you could be dragged into something unexpected.
nickndfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2017, 19:21   #4

yes, MYOBizz.
Herd Sniper likes this.
Old 06-12-2017, 19:55   #5

It depends upon the situation. I have done both.
Rockys Pop likes this.
whofarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:29   #6

Ask Joe Kenda....
Old 06-14-2017, 16:44   #7
Honor our Constitution !

most co-workers...I just let them ramble no matter how incorrectly.
friends...I point them to Bamacarry.com and request they look up the info themselves.

the old adage applies here as much as ever...."you can't fix stupid"
RJF likes this.
Old 06-15-2017, 22:06   #8

My company is small. Co-workers I usually educate... Gunshop/sporting goods employees and customers are the ones I have to walk away from. So much trash being spewed from both sides of the counter frustrates the crap out of me
grumpy_old_man likes this.

Last edited by whofarted; 06-16-2017 at 15:00.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:40   #9
Child of the shadows

As I stated in the OP this story is a year or two old and some things have changed.

The coworker who was being offered the deal is one of my best friends and asks me if she has a question the other two I haven't seen since.

Over the last couple of years my approach has changed dramatically. I've changed employers and my current coworkers don't even know I own guns. If the topic comes up I ignore it. I do not interject myself into their conversations
Herd Sniper likes this.
Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:54   #10
Glass Half-Full Member

I should probably MMOB, but I sense someone might have a confrontational attitude here, and it does not matter if you're discussing guns or cars or dog breeds. People should check themselves.... ask themselves, "Why am I having so many negative encounters with other human beings?" It may have nothing to do with firearms.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:12   #11

Purchasing anything at the BX/PX (AAFES) for someone who is not entitled to privileges is considered verboten and is punishable by the UCMJ. Adding a firearm to that would be not good. Of course a bona fide gift is excluded from the prohibition.

I am not even going to say anything about the straw purchase. Enough said already on that one.
dh1633pm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 19:33   #12

Originally Posted by Beck View Post
I should probably MMOB, but I sense someone might have a confrontational attitude here, and it does not matter if you're discussing guns or cars or dog breeds. People should check themselves.... ask themselves, "Why am I having so many negative encounters with other human beings?" It may have nothing to do with firearms.
I just assume its because people in general suck... but thats just me
Old 07-04-2018, 07:58   #13
Keeper of the records

Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.

― Mark Twain

Excellent advice from Mr. Clemens.
2rangers and Herd Sniper like this.