• 1 Post By Scorpion of Mars
  • 1 Post By BWM
  • 1 Post By coasrie
  • 1 Post By coasrie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2016, 03:19   #1
Registered Member

Smile Teaching in Europe:Why we can/should have guns

From Spokane, Washington, I'm teaching college classes in France now about guns in the United States.

I would be very grateful if you would answer this question so I can give my students real answers from real people who have guns and support them!

Questions: Why do you choose to have a gun? (collect, hunt, protection, etc.)

Thanks for all your help!
pnwman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:08   #2
RJF

First of all, welcome to the forum from Central Virginia!

I'm assuming you have already laid the foundation of our ability to even choose: 2A right.

You might want to expand on your question a bit to "have guns", and specify if you're asking about why we chose our first gun...

The reasons for choosing vary widely, and also change over time. I have firearms for personal protection (CCW), home defense, and for plinking. I don't hunt and seldom target shoot. I'm not a collector but do have some historical firearms I inherited.

My first firearm was for self protection. Over the years, I have bought two others for that specific purpose (a pistol and a shotgun) and my first firearm is now mostly for plinking - call it "shooting sport".

Good luck!
RJF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 14:56   #3

Location: Lo-Cal So. Cal. where the money is plastic & the people are too!
How about "Because I can?" Quite sufficient reason in & of itself, when so many people throughout the world are denied their most basic human right of self defense...

Old 02-23-2016, 15:40   #4

The government needs to have a healthy fear of its citizens. Imagine how soon Adolf Hitler would have died at the hands of an armed Jewry. Gun control is a precursor to tyrrany.
migyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 15:57   #5

The 2nd amendment is the balance of power between the government and the governed. This is something the French people should understand from their history..........if they're even taught it.
Old 02-23-2016, 18:53   #6
Operation:Mindcrime

All of the above.

Plus its how we gained our independence, and settle the land, and moved out west. There is no American Gun Culture. Guns are a part of American culture.
Jonjeo, BWM and RJF like this.

Theres a revolution calling you!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scorpion of Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 21:24   #7

Location: Lo-Cal So. Cal. where the money is plastic & the people are too!
Wink

Originally Posted by Scorpion of Mars View Post
All of the above.
There is no American Gun Culture. Guns are a part of American culture.
It may help to counter the inquiry "Why can't Japanese or European gun control function in the U.S?" with the observation that the U.S. is composed of the descendants of the people who weren't content to remain subjects, (whether for economic reasons or because they were already outlaws) & sought "sunnier climes" in which to pursue their fortunes, & prospered...

For instance, why does my last name end in "-x?" Because the enemy of my enemy is my friend, so one of my Scottish forebears with a surname ending the gaelic "-ogh" fled to France, where they gave it an "-aux" as the closest approximation, and then to America in due course it got chopped & lifted [& maybe nitrous?] and that "x" was left unchanged because by gum, that's a noticeable letter! [Luckier than many immigrants whose names were even more mangled by Ellis Island, I'm sure! ]
Old 02-23-2016, 23:25   #8

Dont forget fleeing religious persecution!

Old 02-25-2016, 17:59   #9

Yep! Welcome To This Excellent Forum ...

Welcome from SW Oregon USA. Kinda your old neck of the woods. About 43N, 123W. Sorta. Our extended family and close friends all own firearms for several reasons.

The first is that we have a great responsibility to protect our loved ones and ourselves. We have a situation in Josephine County OR. No law enforcement. Hardly any at all.

The second reason is that we have a responsibility as law abiding citizens to exercise our Constitutional duties and obligations as specifically written in the US Constitution.

This includes for us legal registered automatic weapons, short barreled rifles and sound suppressors along with the legal back ground checks and ongoing training.

The third major reason is that firearms, with a license, game tag and in hunting season legally puts very inexpensive tasty safe game meat on the tables. A economic need.

The hunting might not be understood in France or Europe. We live in one of the most beautiful and desirable sparsely populated areas in the Northern Hemisphere. Lucky.

For that matter, the legal ownership and use of automatic weapons might not be understood either. Again, duties and responsibilities of responsible US Citizenship.

Again, welcome aboard. All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply. This is the legal declaration that all of this NFA stuff is legal to own and use up here.

NFA stuff means the 1932 (1934) National Firearms Act which outlines in detail the legal procedures and back ground checks required to possess and use automatic weapons.

Last edited by HB of CJ; 03-25-2016 at 10:39. Reason: added dates
HB of CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:00   #10

Perhaps rather than asking Americans why gun ownership is a part of our culture, a more salient question for the European audience would be "in view of the many moral uses of firearms - self defense, hunting, etc, why don't you personally want one? Do you like relying on others for basic human needs like protection?"

I suspect the answer will reveal that the difference in attitudes towards private gun ownership mirrors the political divide between collectivism and individualism. Collectivists trust in others to take care of them, whereas individuals do not trust the collective to provide their basic needs.

Grumpy
HB of CJ and RJF like this.
grumpy_old_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:53   #11

Historically, it has worked so well in Europe
HB of CJ likes this.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:14   #12
BWM

Well I was raised in the country where we hunted coons and rabbits and birds we also used them to kill fox,s when they got in the chickens. that was in the 40 50 60 back then we did not have to think about are safety. Now are government has gone over board with some of it laws. So we the people have to protect are own from the thugs that has ran rapped in the country. It takes the law to long to get to you. So having guns is very important for my family and me. Thanks for the 2 it gives us the right to own are guns thanks GOD
HB of CJ likes this.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:46   #13

Think back to colonial times. Indian attacks, British gun grabbers, excessive taxation.....
HB of CJ likes this.
coasrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:52   #14

Also, check 1948[?] armed takeover of county [or city] government by returned WW2 veterans fed up with corruption....TN?
coastie
HB of CJ likes this.
coasrie is offline   Reply With Quote