Vets, what guns did you use while in the service? - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Guns Guns Guns Miscellaneous firearms forum

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2015, 12:04   #26
Banned

Originally Posted by star View Post
Actually no I won’t. My words pretty well speak for themselves.

No uniform I once wore, medals I received, or positions I held will change them, or make them more or less valuable.

You can take notice or not.

JAFJ (just a fact jack!)
I some how find it hard to "Humble Myself" before your Eminence.

Words Sir Star, do not speak louder than deeds.

It is a Man's Actions which speak volumes of his character. JMHO Please Note.
A/J/S/USNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:18   #27

I didn't use, but helped schedule their use:

Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM)
Joint Standoff Weapon (JSOW)
GBU-10 Paveway 2000 lbs
GBU-12 Paveway 500 lbs
GBU-15
EGBU-15
GBU-24 Paveway III
GBU-28
AGM-154 JSOW
AGM-158 JASSM

And a few others that I promised I wouldn't mention. I could gotten one or another wrong. This doesn't include air to air or the usual assortment of airborne guns.
A/J/S/USNRet likes this.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 13:24   #28
Forum Vendor

American Issued Weapons Used:
M16 (obvious)
M4 (obvious)
M9 (Beretta M9; Mil-spec Beretta 92FS)
M249 SAW (5.56 NATO belt-fed Squad Automatic Weapon)
M240B (7.62×51mm NATO medium belt-fed machine gun)
Mk46 Mod 0 (lighter M249 SAW variant; 5.56 NATO belt-fed light machine gun)
Mk48 Mod 0 (7.62×51mm NATO version of the Mk 46 Mod 0)
M14EBR-RI (M14 Enhanced Battle Rifle - Rock Island)
M107 (Barrett M82 semi-auto .50 Cal sniper rifle)
M2 (Browning .50 Cal Machine gun)
M67 Frag (Grenade)
M203 (under-barrel single shot 40mm grenade launcher)
Mk19 (40mm automatic grenade launcher)
M18 Claymore (Mine)
SMAW-D (Shoulder-Launched Multipurpose Assault Weapon - Disposable; AKA M141 Bunker Defeat Munition)
M136 AT4 (Anti-Tank weapon)
M72 LAW (Light Anti-Tank Weapon)
M202 FLASH (FLame Assault SHoulder Weapon)
M500 (Mossberg 500 Shotgun)

Foreign Weapons Used:
SVD (Dragunov sniper rifle - 7.62x54mmR)
AK47 (Obvious)
Ak74 (Obvious)
PKM (7.62x54mmR belt-fed "Kalashnikov's Machine-gun Modernized")
RPG 7 (Rocket Propelled Grenade)
GP-25 (Basically a Russian muzzle loaded M203)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_48_machine_gun
dh1633pm and A/J/S/USNRet like this.
Viper 1-26 INF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2015, 13:45   #29
Banned

Like I said you can take my words or not.

{In my experience those who have been there do not generally speak of it.

It is something they did not who they are, and the more you did the more you wish you were never there.

Nor do they think their actions give them more voice, that would just be against the democratic principles they were fighting for. }

Right?

We are on a firearms forum, we discuss shooting and firearms along with some Political and General News. Whenever discussion drift's into the "Real World Use" of such firearms Generalities of Combat Experience will be Stated.Unfortunately, the more years you have spent in Combat, the more diverse and varied those experiences will be.

You ask me to humble myself to you by explaining what right I have to call you on your BS.

No, I don't ask or insinuate that you Humble yourself in any way. I believe I responded without any requirements. I wonder what makes you think you have the Right to tell anyone you have never meet that they are full of BS! I am inquisitive as to what you have done that you determined you have such a right? I know what I have done, and I haven't earned such a right, so I offered you an opportunity to explain such magisterial empowerment in the privacy of a PM.

I won't.

We get it.

You need external validation for your service.

You spend time on “the two way range”

So Fk’ing what lots of men did.

They treated you like $h!t coming back from yours.

I was not alive, but I am still sorry for that.

Please note.

You are now old.

You should perhaps focus putting things in order with the time you have left in this world. And not waste it bloviating on the internet.

JMHO
As to the finally of your rant, completely off base, but it appears that the underlined gem would be a good recommendation for your self reflection.

Try this timeline, RSSZ-Dayton Peace Accord. Then I began another Public Service Career. So unless you are prepubescent? You were in fact alive while I served and Returned, so a little internet BEANO should help out with your keyboard FLATULENCE!
Old 06-15-2015, 14:38   #30
Banned

Sure sounds like a contradiction to me.

I wanted to bow out, you asked for my opinion, now you want to tell me you don't want to hear it. I know woman have the right to change their minds here in the South, figure out which it is you request star!

As to post 44, real Warriors would discuss such things offline. Nice try!

How much time did you spend on the Nha Be Sea Float?

Last edited by A/J/S/USNRet; 06-15-2015 at 15:38. Reason: Keyboard Warrior Questions
Old 06-15-2015, 20:39   #31

M1 CARBINE - good weapon but range limit at around 150yds.
M1 GARAND - handpicked for me by the gun locker P.O. and checked over. my favorite and good out to 300 yds I practiced off the con fairly often. shot better than many marines M16. resisted trade offers for months, in false hope one of the jarheads would offer a M1a1 - no luck. with little time left I traded for a late model stick mag thompson. picked up skill with it shooting off a padded rest. not much beyond 50 yds. also had a 1911, real colt. took it apart and sent it back home piece at a time telling gunny lost it overboard during a dust-up. my marlin .45 carbine uses same magazines. mecgars are best IMO.
another westpac tour was ahead for me mid- '71 but thats another mostly sad story.

welcome back to the world to all vets - lets try to keep ourselves ready for the fireworks that will surely pop out here and maybe sooner than letter.
I was on an LCU, an LBT (transports the LCU is larger) a towed arty barge (tough duty 30 days to hack) and a monitor that was basically an uparmored LBT fitted with belt fed M60s sides, twin .50 front in a tub and a single .50 rear with pair of 81mms mortars. and a large flamethrower in front too. quite fearsome piece of boat. was used to go up and down just generally raising he ll and take calls to pick up seal and lrrp teams to haul out to sea float. I came down with back-break fever (terrible suffering) and got sent back to japan, then subic, guam then to diego NHS. from where I was sent east to virginia for training. a billet opened on a DLG heading around SA I requested assignement and got the gravy cruise- litterally.
star and A/J/S/USNRet like this.
Old 06-15-2015, 21:19   #32
Banned

I have wasted enough time with this.
Yes you did! And not a single post that had a thing to do with the Original Question. Drove the post count up quite a bit though didn't you.

Durango, as far as I know every SV still in use has provisions for the Little S&W Six Shot M&P 38. It may end up being the longest serving pistol in the Arsenal.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:08   #33
RJF

M1 Garand - JROTC - but in a military school, so more than just parades.
M14 - SROTC - same military school, also more than just parades
1975-1981 - M16A1 as assigned weapon
1975-1979 with 2/1 Infantry (9th ID, Ft Lewis, WA) - weapons we (the Bn) had to qual on and maintain (was the Bn Maint Officer for a while, and later, the Support Platoon Leader):
M60
M2
90mm Recoilless Rifle
106mm Recoilless Rifle
81mm Mortar
4.2" Mortar
LAW
M79 and M203
While there, had to transition from the 106mm RR to the TOW
While there, got fielded the Dragon (got to keep our 90mm RR for a year or so as an exception)
**non-gun, but a REAL PITA: 23 GamaGoats**

1979-1981 (Special Troops Bn for 3rd COSCOM, Frankfurt):
Assigned weapon - M16A1
Unit weapons:
M60
M2
M203

1981-1982 (Company Commander in same Bn): Assigned weapon - 1911
Unit weapons - same as above.

1983-1990 (various non-combat units/schools): no assigned weapon.
1990-1991 (First Gulf War): Assigned weapon: M9
1991-1997 (non-combat units, (93-97 in the Pentagon)): no assigned weapon

Uniforms, BTW, spanned the range of heavily-starched cotton fatigues (which lasted about two minutes at Ft Lewis) to polyester fatigues to BDUs to DCUs.

It was a fun go of it!
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:09   #34

Hey I did 30 years in the Air Force. Never was shot at, never shot at anything. Only time I ever carried a rifle was when we did a funeral. I did carry a loaded revolver when we took rifles off base. I did present many a flag.

Worked in many an AOC. We helped schedule missions each day when an operation was in progress. If I needed a rifle to protect myself we were already in a world of hurt. There are so many of you out there from every service that put your lives on the line time and time again. Can't say enough about that. 1 day or 30000 is enough for me.

We needed those who face the enemy eye to eye and those who made sure that support was overhead when needed or supplies were dropped or just available.

In that way, a supply truck becomes a weapon as much as the M-4 or the cook who makes sure you get fed.

Don't worry about USN. He's a good man. Viper 1-26 INF - if the shtf I am coming to live at your house.

I told my son, do your duty and then come home. Don't feel guilty afterwards that your not there any longer or about what you may or may not have done. If I click a pull down on a computer program that assigns a F16 to a mission with a certain ordinance, does that make me guilty of who that ordinance may have killed or injured? I don't sign the ATO, some general does. I don't drop the bomb, some pilot did. I don't own the plane, some NCO does. Bottom line if you put on the uniform, your a wheel in the cog and are a weapon.

I fired myself.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 15:26   #35
Banned

I Apologize to all Members of this Forum. Two well respected and well known Individuals have pulled their Post's from this Thread upon Sending and Receiving PM's with Me. I am obviously a Menace to the General Society and more Infuriating under the cover of Private Conversation. I would hope those that I have Driven Off would reconsider, as I Personally feel that their Input is well worth the time they spent offering it to US. Not about the past, Please reengage with the current or future. I understand that I am Gruff and Verbose, would you see past it and forgive my Weakness?
Scorpion of Mars likes this.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:18   #36
RJF

Originally Posted by A/J/S/USNRet View Post
I understand that I am Gruff and Verbose, would you see past it and forgive my Weakness?
A/J/S: Of course! Was considering referring to you as "Captain Sunshine". Verbose is fine - it helps articulate where you're coming from when you post.

Our opinions and viewpoints are shaped by our experiences (hopefully), and all of us here have experiences that vary greatly in both depth and breadth. Some are great, some not so much. That is what makes this forum so valuable to its readers and posters.

Some like/agree, some dislike/disagree. As with most posts in the non-political and general chit-chat forums - those where we're interested in rifles (in particular the Mini-14/Mini-30 forum), there is both a wealth of knowledge and a hunger for for it. If we dislike what is posted, we should just move on to the next one rather than get into the personal attacks that are pretty prevalent in the political and general chit-chat forums.

If the topic is combat related, I'll defer to those who have truly experienced it and soak in their knowledge where applicable. If we don't get those opinions and knowledge, we'll never have the chance to decide if it is applicable or not. If the thread is discussing combat preparation and someone's post could get someone killed, then it is probably right to chime in with a BS flag. Just don't make it personal and we're (almost) all fine. But I think most of the threads in this forum are based on curiosity and our mutual love/hate relationship with Bill Ruger's Minis, and not combat (discarding the shtf concerns).

I value the sacrifices you and other vets (and your families) have made - and continue to make - in the service of our country. Would hate to miss out on hearing of them from time to time.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 14:22   #37

ain't we all? (ex-service members in foreign wars)
freesw and A/J/S/USNRet like this.
Old 06-17-2015, 17:53   #38

Get the sand out of your pussys. Check out the op's question.
Why argue?
Vietnam, July 70-July71.
Issued a M16 but had a M79 as well.
A SEAL camp was across the dirt road from my radio shack (radioman) and they had
the Stoners.
The big advantage of the Stoner was the 5.56 capacity.
They had boxes or drums that held 150 rounds.
On full auto, a couple 65's, a couple M16's, a 60, a couple Claymores and maybe a
LAWS and a M79 or two was pretty powerful for taking out some VC by surprise.
I had four 20 round mags for my M16. That was it.
I remember firing on full auto and thought it was awesome.
Today... not so much.
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
STEINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 18:34   #39
Banned

I almost fell in Love (Okay, it was just Lust) with a Split Tail Radio-Person in Indochina.
But I have to come clean about one semi-unrelated Fact:

Those that have served (No matter how long or how short) and came back 10 and 10,(even if perforated a bit here and there) We got to resume normal (?) Civilian life when We were done. Those that were Severely injured (Handicapped) THEY STILL SERVE everyday day they exist. It States "SERVICE RELATED" on their VA Cards, and they are always considered as "ACTIVE DUTY". I for one will never forget THEIR SACRIFICE.

So to answer your question star, those that leave their Body parts on the Battlefield Serve everyday of Their Lives, Their Service never ends and they Trump all those that came Home and resumed a (Normal?) Civilian Life irregardless of how long they Served. Just My Not To Humble Opinion.
dh1633pm, pappa44, cncfan and 1 others like this.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:11   #40

Talking Here's what I think !

Did this thread get off subject !

Want to thank Star , as he doesn't post much anymore !

I realize that at times we wonder if that person really did that ?

This thread is about the weapons that one had used ( issue 0r not ) , let's keep it that way and leave the hero stories for another thread .

I find that most combat veterans very rarity bring up their combat experience and just want to live very normal lives .
freesw and Marlin 45 carbine like this.
Old 07-02-2015, 18:19   #41

I qualified on M16, M60, M2 and 1911 45 but ended up carrying the 1911 45 and the Ithaca 37.
Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:52   #42
hostilenativelibertarian.

Location: Oragun-still clinging to my religion,guns,and sour mash!Livin near the most godless American city.
Gosh fellas-you're makin me feel my age(sorta).When I served it must have been with Magellan!
03a3 springfield-in basic(friggin boat anchor without bullets)
m-14
m16a1-three prong-then bird cage
m-60,god she was a pretty young thing
ma-duece in an m48 -got to play with jar heads like crap spewer
3.5 rocket launcher-so I could take out the m-48
m-79(could'nt hit my azz with either hand)
s&w m&p38 mod 10
car15-froggy issue(they borrowed me a couple times for "camp cook")first time I fired the thing-it took 3 days for the swelling to go down-I wanted to take it to a motel!!!!
STONER-lots of fire-if you got it to run.I still love the 60!
I did get to see a laws-just once!
Got to shoot 203s-after military-believe it or not!
Some Seabees got to do more than mow yards and trim hedges!
A/J/S/USNRet likes this.
The voices in my head say they don't like you!

Last edited by magnomark; 07-04-2015 at 09:56. Reason: more info
magnomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 13:49   #43

Garand -M1
BAR-M1918A1
Thompson - M1928A1 & Submachinegun M1
Carbine - M1 (And whatever the designation was for the ones with adj. sights)
MG- M1919A4
M1911A1
Riot shotguns - Win. Mod 12 and Ithaca M37

........................Same ones used during WWII by my father's generation.

Oh, and although it's not "Small Arms" - 3"/50 Rapid Fire Twin Mount (around 75MM high velocity multi purpose round). Crew of 12.
Garrett likes this.
hoplophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:52   #44

Ar 15 sp1 & m61 20mm
104RFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 16:24   #45

Cool

Well, I'll first list what I was issued over the years (never used any of them in combat) and then what I used (mostly in combat) at one time or the other.
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine
M14
M16A1
M1911A1

XM177E2 (CAR 15)
Browning Hi-Power
M1919A4
M 60
M79
57mm Recoiless
60mm mortar

I also had, in RVN, but never used in combat - M1A1 Thompson, M16 suppressor, suppressed Swedish K, SKS, AK 47/AKM (both solid and folding stock), RPD light MG.
Sarge
Old 08-06-2015, 09:03   #46

M1 Carbine-30 cal.....in country....instead of 45 cal. pistol.
snakeoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 15:50   #47
rWt

M14
m16a1
rWt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 13:23   #48

M9, m16a2, m203, m4, m60, m249, m240b.
snyper762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 18:28   #49

Analog Volt-Ohm meter.
(USAF, of course)