Perfect Union banner

Gun barrel technology

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  grumpy_old_man 
#1 ·
Interesting article on the manufacturing processes involved in making the really big high pressure gun barrels. This involves either compressing inner layers of the gun barrel by shrinking outer layers onto them ("built up gun") or achieving the same goal by compressing the inner layer hydraulically in stages ("autofrettege").

GUN-BARL-CONSTRUCTION-1

Its a good read. I picked up a lot on how and why the big guns are made the way they are. Also tidbits like the barrel liners have to be drilled out to recondition the gun. Never knew that.

Best,
Grumpy

#3 ·
Thanks for your service.

Biggest gun in US service right now is probably 6.1" (155mm), but I could be wrong. Largest naval gun is 5" currently.

The really big guns have always fascinated me, but unfortunately my wallet is too barren to get into that sort of thing. Still, it makes interesting reading and filled in some blanks about why the really big guns have such peculiar barrel construction.

Best,
Grumpy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.