171st Birthday of the Rimfire Primed Cartridge - Shooting Sports Forum

General Chit Chat No politics or religion in this section!

Like Tree20Likes
  • 4 Post By Rockys Pop
  • 5 Post By Parnelli
  • 5 Post By GAMEOVER
  • 3 Post By Rockys Pop
  • 1 Post By ammodotcom
  • 2 Post By ammodotcom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2020, 22:10   #1
Ammo.com

171st Birthday of the Rimfire Primed Cartridge

Louis Flobert came up with the brilliant idea of tucking a lead ball into a percussion cap, thus inventing the rimfire primed cartridge. He patented his concept in France on July 21st, 1849. We actually did a whole rundown on the 22 Long cartridge that followed soon after on our site.

I've always had a soft spot for the 22 LR. This is almost certainly because it's the first cartridge I ever fired, which I'm sure is the same for a lot of people on here. But are there any exceptions to this rule? Are there any madmen on here who shot a 44 Mag when they were still in short pants?
ammodotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 00:52   #2
Honor our Constitution !

I was 6 yrs old (1969) when Dad took me to his "shooting spot" in the woods with his 20 yr old Springfield bolt action 12 gauge and a gallon bottle of red dyed water.
He put the bottle on the old tree laying across the berm, aimed, and BOOM......then he turned to me & said "REMEMBER SON....THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS TO THINGS YOU SHOOT".
Then he gave me the 1969 version of the "gun safety" rundown......set another bottle on the tree & handed ME the shotgun.
I had to hold the stock under my arm with his knee against the butt....i'll never forget him laughing and cursing simultaneously from the gun nearly knocking me down & the sudden pain in his knee from being a dumbass....lol......LOVE YOU DAD, MISS YOU LOTS !!
We spent a decade shooting almost every weekend...mostly Black Powder because it was cheap back then. And still shot together through my adulthood.
I had him out shooting Flintlock rifles at 82 yrs old just a few months before I lost him.....he was always a HUGE influence in my shooting life & was the main person that prodded me into Gunsmithing.
Old 07-28-2020, 14:29   #3

I worked with my grandfather in the woods, mostly surveying out his property. One day while chaining distance down a dirt road we came upon a skunk meandering around an intersection. Grandpa pulled out his Colt Woodsman that he always kept holstered under his arm, chambered a round, and drew down on the skunk. As if he had an epiphany he suddenly stopped, turned, and handed the pistol to me saying it was ready to go and all I had to do was aim and squeeze the trigger.

I drew down on the skunk (I had shot rifles, but never a pistol) and popped him, dropping him instantly. We walked up to it and grandpa said great shot, you hit it in the head and it didn't even get a chance to spray!

One of the few times I was ever able to impress my grandfather.

Old 07-28-2020, 16:55   #4
Suck it Leftists!

My Dad was the most frugal person I have ever known. We only hunted small game and the only gun he owned and used was a double barrel Stevens 12 ga. When he retired he spent most all of his time raising corns and beans on leased land and cutting wood both of which he sold even though he didn't need the money. My Mom said he was returning to his roots as an Appalachian farmer. I knew he was seeing a lot of critters like groundhogs, skunks, racoons, and such when he was out but I also knew he was too frugal to buy a rifle. By then I had a good job so one Christmas I bought him a new Remington Speedmaster Autoloading .22 rifle. When he opened it on Christmas day I could see tears in his eyes. From then on everywhere he went in his truck that rifle was in the rear window gun rack. After Dad passed away my Mom told me that he once said that rifle was the best Christmas present he had ever received. I've got the rifle back now with wear marks from where it rested in his truck gun rack all those years and I would not sell it for any amount of money.
Old 07-28-2020, 23:50   #5
Honor our Constitution !

On the Christmas theme.......7-8 years later (making me 13-14) we were Christmassing with my Aunt & Uncle that managed a "fish camp" for an elderly man named Chestnutt....

Mom had saved her S&H Green Stamps & got Dad a brand new H&R pump 20 gauge and my Uncle had gotten him several boxes of shells.

After unwrapping gifts we were sitting in the livingroom, Dad walked into the kitchen for a cup of coffee (kitchen faced a HUGE lake) walked back into the LR, loaded the shottie and went outside w/o a word.

We were wondering what was up, when BOOM Dad had fired the gun.

By the time us "men folk" could get outside, there stands Dad, soaked to his armpits, holding up the biggest GOOSE i've ever seen !!

Dad proudly proclaimed....." GOOSE FOR CHRISTMAS DINNER !!!" to which my Uncle replied...." Dammit Chuck, you done shot one of Mr Chestnutts PET GEESE.....come around to the barn QUICK"

We had Goose for dinner & luckily the Chestnutts were out of town.......

Me & a cpl girl Cousins are all that's left of those family gatherings.......but the memories are precious & i'll always smile when I think of them.
jumpluff, Parnelli and GAMEOVER like this.
Old 07-29-2020, 00:46   #6
Ammo.com

LOL, the perfect crime.
Parnelli likes this.
Old 07-29-2020, 00:48   #7
Ammo.com

That's a beautiful memory. I too have a 22 I wouldn't sell for all the money in the world – my grandfather's Ruger Standard, with the sights still painted white the way he left it.
jumpluff and Parnelli like this.