I have been given the high honor of.... - Shooting Sports Forum

General Chit Chat No politics or religion in this section!

Like Tree32Likes
  • 6 Post By JRedHorse
  • 3 Post By blamster
  • 1 Post By JRedHorse
  • 2 Post By Rockys Pop
  • 2 Post By JRedHorse
  • 2 Post By Rockys Pop
  • 2 Post By JRedHorse
  • 2 Post By blamster
  • 3 Post By Lone Gunman
  • 1 Post By cowboy117
  • 1 Post By blamster
  • 1 Post By Rockys Pop
  • 1 Post By 40nascar
  • 3 Post By Lone Gunman
  • 1 Post By Lone Gunman
  • 1 Post By Durango Ranger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2015, 13:16   #1

Thumbs up I have been given the high honor of....

When I was on a month long Native American Concert tour in the UK one of my guides/assistants and I became very good friends, so much so that we have gone to each others Countries 1/2 a dozen times to visit with one another in the 20 years since our friendship began.

He is arriving at the end of the month and when I asked what he would like to do while he is here he stated "Do you know anyone who has guns", "I have never fired a real firearm and I sure would like to", (The man is now 65) .

His dad had a shot gun for Pheasant hunting when he was a kid but his Dad never let him touch it.

We never talked about my love of firearms, I didn't bring it up because I knew his wife was against them and my guns were locked away when they would visit (She recently passed away) so now he wants to check "Shooting different guns" off his bucket list.

I informed him of what caliber firearms I had and if there were any not in my collection that he wished to shoot I could find him one.

I know I can get my hands on just about any type of civilian firearm out there because I belong to a range that has 3,200 members and my shooting Buddies will have what ever kind I may not have.

He was so excited about being able to go to a range and have some fun that his joy was contagious !

And his excitement drove home the point of how important it is that we fight for every inch of ground in the war between gun owners and gun grabbers.

FYI , Did you know there are only 73,870 Civilians in Scotland that have a firearms license....Holy Cow and we thought the USA was strict !!!

There are 213,574 registered guns in Scotland, this is not counting any of the Police / military.

I have also been asked by one of the Arch-Bishops of NH if I could arrange for him to shoot an AK47, so I will get both of them together and "Kill two birds with one stone as they say", I have a Range Buddy lined up for the AK shoot since I do not own one myself YET.

I love being given the opportunity to introduce new shooters to the world of firearms and I like to think that I am a Good ambassador when it comes to introducing virgin shooters to the sport.

I've probably been entrusted to introduce new shooters to the sport over 30 times so far and I can only recall 1 that didn't want to do it again and that was my Wife, so my track record is pretty darn good if you ask me.

I haven't told my Scottish Brother about a surprise that I have arranged for his first Range day.

A Tribal Brother owns a Barrett 50 cal and if my Scottish Buddy or the Arch-Bishop want to try it my Native Brother will be more than happy to put the men behind it, I am saving that surprise for last, knowing the Scotsman I will bet that he will want to try the 50 Cal. at least once, who wouldn't?

I want to take a pic of the Scotsman holding the 50 cal, then my wife is going to go to the photo studio after and have the pic mounted in a nice frame for him to take back to Scotland when he returns, it is going to be a great day and I know he will be telling all his Buds back in Scotland about his day at an American rifle range.

I just love sharing in their excitement and it reminds me of just how fortunate we are that we have the right to something that only the "Connected" are allowed to posses in other Countries, kind of sad in a way, here is a 65 year old man who has never shot a firearm in his life and has been wanting to, Wow!

I always do my very best with virgin shooters, they all learn gun safety 1st by me and then I let them "walk" their way up through the calibers starting with the 22lr and they stop at the one they feel is strong enough for them, I HATE when people think it is funny to hand a 12 gage to a first time shooter, it is rude and unsafe if you ask me.

And I have a little gift picked out for the Arch-Bishop on Range day, A little sterling silver AK47 pendant, he will get a kick out of that I am sure, he asked if I could get him behind one because when he was doing his religious work in Africa he was held for 8 hours at the bad end of an AK, once they realized that he was actually a Holy man and there to help the poor they let him and his party of relief workers go, Thank God!

He believes that if he can experience using one he might overcome some bad feelings about his encounter, I hope so!

If any one has any input on the things I should cover or pass along while with these men please feel free to help me out, Thanks!

I wanted to share this with my armed Brothers and Sisters here because to me, it is a High Honor to be asked to teach a skill that even I take for granted sometime and I am pleased that people trust me with such a big event for them.

I am no expert in anything but I am a darn good teacher of the basics.
SAFETY FIRST is my Motto!

Last edited by JRedHorse; 01-16-2015 at 17:56. Reason: Clarification of thought.
JRedHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 21:08   #2

I haven't fired an AK up to now, but my recommendations would be for a Garand or an SKS, both of which I know are poetry. Might also suggest an A-5 (variant) 12 gauge, which are "blasters" with some "zing". Everyone should have the experience of some pistol, but I think they are inherently so much more difficult, that, certainly initially, at least, they tend to be much more humbling than inspiring. Another good thing about autos is that they punish you so much less with the recoil. See that they persevere until they get "the grin"!
pappa44, JRedHorse and Rockys Pop like this.
Old 01-16-2015, 21:35   #3

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by blamster View Post
I haven't fired an AK up to now, but my recommendations would be for a Garand or an SKS, both of which I know are poetry. Might also suggest an A-5 (variant) 12 gauge, which are "blasters" with some "zing". Everyone should have the experience of some pistol, but I think they are inherently so much more difficult, that, certainly initially, at least, they tend to be much more humbling than inspiring. Another good thing about autos is that they punish you so much less with the recoil. See that they persevere until they get "the grin"!
Oh I will
pappa44 likes this.

Old 01-16-2015, 22:11   #4
Honor our Constitution !

Yes......at 65 lower recoil will be a must
pappa44 and JRedHorse like this.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:21   #5

Thumbs up I've got that part covered.

Originally Posted by Rockys Pop View Post
Yes......at 65 lower recoil will be a must
GOOD POINT!
I have a slip on Limb Saver brand recoil pad for him, I do not want to be responsible for sending him back to Scotland broken,
pappa44 and Rockys Pop like this.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:22   #6
Honor our Constitution !

Originally Posted by JRedHorse View Post
GOOD POINT!
I have a slip on Limb Saver brand recoil pad for him, I do not want to be responsible for sending him back to Scotland broken,
Exactly.........
Make it fun for him, and you'll likely send back a 65 yr old Rebel !!
pappa44 and JRedHorse like this.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:14   #7

I am always careful to let a new shooter pick his/her own caliber to start off and if I think they are starting TOO BIG I will have them work their way up to a caliber that they are comfortable with, we take at least 30 minutes before any shooting starts to educate them on gun safety and the weapons functions first and foremost !

There is something so satisfying about starting someone off with good solid basics and watching their joy when they realize that they now have a way of empowering themselves and being able to protect themselves and their loved ones.

I wish I could start more folks off but since the expense of the ammo they shoot and the photos and frames are my donations to their training, I am limited by my wallet on how many I can help,.

I never charge them for the ammo they shoot for the day but I do have them learn and help me with the break down and cleaning of the weapons they shoot after the range day, and this helps them understand better how certain firearms are put together and function.

If I were to hit the lottery I'd probably open a school for new shooters and I would hire the best in the industry to conduct courses on all aspects of the shooting sports and I would make it all free with the stipulation that they teach a future class on some aspect that they themselves have learned through the school, "Perpetual education system" I call it!

I always love taking a photograph of them holding their favorite loaner weapon with that big smile on their face, I have my Wife frame their pics and we send it to them as a gift and reminder of the day that they changed their lives for the better.

I have two more men lined up for March that have never shot a firearm and I always share in their journey of self discovery, Yup, it doesn't get any better than this my Armed Brothers and Sisters!!!
blamster and Rockys Pop like this.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:07   #8

That's very well put together! Does seem like there should be some/more places (CMP?) to do things like that! Good food for thought, when I might introduce someone. I introduced someone in the last several years. I think a big part of it is doing it soberly. We all know how intoxicating firearms can be! And sure helps if they have just a bit of common sense to begin with! I would try to balance seriousness/sobriety with a fair amount of ease/naturalness of manner. Wouldn't want to psych the person out too much with too much worries. I think a big part of it is they do allow them to get caught up in the excitement of it. Can't staunch that too much!
JRedHorse and Rockys Pop like this.
Old 01-18-2015, 14:48   #9
Draw, Varmint!

In recent years I've started requiring (most of) my students to memorize, 'Cooper's Four Basic Rules Of Firearm Safety' BEFORE I let them begin to handle guns.

JEFF COOPER’S FOUR BASIC RULES OF FIREARM SAFETY

1. The gun is ALWAYS loaded!

2. Never allow the muzzle to point at - or, even, so much as sweep across - ANYTHING you are unwilling to see destroyed!

3. Never put your finger inside the trigger guard until AFTER you have made a conscious decision to fire!

4. CLEARLY identify your target, the target's backstop, and what is beyond!

5. Finally, the frequently unstated fifth rule: NEVER play with a gun - Never!

Don’t embellish these rules. They are what they are for good reasons! In order for any firearm safety rule to become truly effective it must stop being just a rule, and become a PROFOUND PERSONAL HABIT, instead.

At a gathering like the one you're about to attend it's the relaxed casual atmosphere that you really have to be extra careful with. These men aren't gunmen in the same way that you, and I are. They don't have years of training, experience, and conditioned reflexes to fall back on in order to prevent a firearm accident from taking place. For your friends I might add a few precautions like:

6. Never point the muzzle anywhere except downrange at the targets.

7. Never turn around with a gun in your hands.

8. Never, for any reason, (like a jam or misfire) turn the muzzle to either side.

9. When you're finished shooting, put the safety back on; and always return the gun to the shooting bench with the: magazine out, action open, and breech-side showing.

10. Never handle or even touch a gun, ammunition, or load magazines while someone is down at the targets.

11. Always stand behind the shooter, and on his gun-hand side. No rapid, or prolonged continuous fire.

12. If you are an Instructor always make sure to stand on the student’s strong hand or, ‘gun’ side. ‘Why’? Because a novice shooter’s muzzle tends to break, or climb towards his support hand or, ‘weak’ side. (Which is where you don’t want to be!)

Notes:

A novice right-handed shooter will, also, tend to break shots towards the weakest part of his grasping hand: i.e., To his lefthand side. (Fired bullets will tend to hit the target at between 6:00 and 9:00 o’clock.)

On a public firing line never stand on the left-hand side of the line. ‘Why’? Because the first thing a right-handed jerk will do when his gun jams is to turn the muzzle of his loaded weapon towards the left-hand side of the line. (Where the other idiots are already standing!)
JRedHorse, blamster and Rockys Pop like this.

Last edited by Lone Gunman; 03-12-2019 at 02:54.
Lone Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 17:12   #10

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Excellent post!!!!
JRedHorse likes this.
Old 01-18-2015, 20:12   #11

Thumbs up Thanks mind if I copy this for Range day.

Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
In recent years I've started requiring (most of) my students to memorize, 'Cooper's Four Basic Rules Of Firearm Safety' BEFORE I let them begin to handle guns.

JEFF COOPERíS BASIC FOUR RULES OF FIREARM SAFETY

2. Never allow the muzzle to point at - or, even, so much as sweep across - ANYTHING you are unwilling to see destroyed!

3. Never put your finger inside the trigger guard until AFTER you have made a conscious decision to fire!

Donít embellish these rules. They are what they are for good reasons! In order for any firearm safety rule to become truly effective it must stop being just a rule, and become a PROFOUND PERSONAL HABIT, instead.

At a gathering like the one you're about to attend it's the relaxed casual atmosphere that you really have to be extra careful with. These men aren't gunmen in the same way that you, and I are. They don't have years of training, experience, and conditioned reflexes to fall back on in order to prevent a firearm accident from taking place. For your friends I might add a few precautions like:

5. Never point the muzzle, anywhere, except downrange at the targets.

6. Never turn around with a gun in your hands.

7. Never, for any reason, (like a jam or misfire) turn the muzzle to either side.

8. When you're finished shooting, put the safety back on; and always return the gun to the shooting bench with the: magazine out, action open, and breech-side showing.

9. Never handle or even touch a gun, or load magazines while someone is down at the targets.

10. Always stand behind the shooter, and on his gun-hand side. No rapid, or prolonged continuous fire.
Thanks, mind if I copy this to give to them on Range day? Great advice from all!
Old 01-18-2015, 21:14   #12

Oh, and the firearms should be referred to respectfully, in order to preserve the correct decorum. A high powered semi-auto rifle is properly termed a "blaster", whereas a SA carbine (e.g. SKS or AK) is a "rootin' tootin' pop gun"! An (SA) shotgun can be referred to as either a blaster, a shotty, a devastator, an organ grinder or a meat sweeper!

ha-ha! sorry! know that's in iffy taste!
JRedHorse likes this.
Old 01-18-2015, 21:35   #13

Thumbs up Shaking my head...LOL!

Originally Posted by blamster View Post
Oh, and the firearms should be referred to respectfully, in order to preserve the correct decorum. A high powered semi-auto rifle is properly termed a "blaster", whereas a SA carbine (e.g. SKS or AK) is a "rootin' tootin' pop gun"! An (SA) shotgun can be referred to as either a blaster, a shotty, a devastator, an organ grinder or a meat sweeper!

ha-ha! sorry! know that's in iffy taste!
That is funny though!
Old 01-19-2015, 00:48   #14
Honor our Constitution !

Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post

JEFF COOPERíS BASIC FOUR RULES OF FIREARM SAFETY

Donít embellish these rules. They are what they are for good reasons! In order for any firearm safety rule to become truly effective it must stop being just a rule, and become a PROFOUND PERSONAL HABIT, instead.

5. Never point the muzzle, anywhere, except downrange at the targets.

6. Never turn around with a gun in your hands.

7. Never, for any reason, (like a jam or misfire) turn the muzzle to either side.

8. When you're finished shooting, put the safety back on; and always return the gun to the shooting bench with the: magazine out, action open, and breech-side showing.

9. Never handle or even touch a gun, or load magazines while someone is down at the targets.

10. Always stand behind the shooter, and on his gun-hand side. No rapid, or prolonged continuous fire.
the 1st time I ever took my wife shooting (almost 29 yrs ago) she'd told me that she grew up shooting with her Dad and Brother, so I erroneously figured she knew about gun safety.
i'd set up a target on the side of an old quarry and handed her my 1851 Navy clone.
she nearly bullseyed the target (1st shot), then turns and discharges a round squarely between my feet.
at this point (luckily I wasn't wounded or dead) I realized that gun safety instruction can never be assumed or taken for granted.
JRedHorse likes this.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:36   #15

JRH,

If possible, I think from a historical point of view that you should hook up the Scottish fellow with a #4 Mark 1 enfield and let him take a few shots from the rifle that his countryman used to help win WW11. And if he can handle that recoil, of course I'm sure he'd want to also shoot that Mosin of yours.
JRedHorse likes this.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:55   #16
Draw, Varmint!

About two years ago, now, I was standing behind a public firing line watching everyone shoot. A large family group was there; and grandpa had (very thoughtfully) supplied the entire group with: guns, ammo, safety glasses, and ear muffs. (Which told me that the old man was seriously into guns!)

A tall very pretty young lady walked up to the bench, was handed a 1911 pattern pistol by one of her male admirers, and promptly aimed at the targets. Her first shot hit dead center! Delighted she spun around with that 1911 still in a two-handed firing grip, and pointed the muzzle of that fully charged pistol exactly at the middle of my face while she jumped up and down screaming, 'I got it!' 'I got it!'

Man - not to exaggerate, but - I saw my whole life flash before my eyes! That was the first time in my entire long life that I felt like I wanted to kill a beautiful young woman! (Usually, I have something else in mind!)

Fortunately for me one of her boyfriends saw what she was doing; and, very quietly, told her, 'not to move a muscle' as he gently reached underneath her arms and lifted her hands and that C-0 pistol up into the air! Then he put his hands on her shoulders, applied a little pressure, turned her around, and pointed the muzzle back at the targets!

What, the hell, was grandpa thinking? He knew, 'guns'. He had given everybody: a gun, ammo, safety glasses, and ear muffs; but, at the same time, he completely ignored telling anyone in the group a single word about GUN SAFETY!

That was it for me; I was completely done for the day. I immediately picked up my range bag, put it back into the trunk, and went home to see another genuinely attractive (but older) woman I, also, know.

Last edited by Lone Gunman; 01-19-2015 at 08:06.
Lone Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:33   #17
Draw, Varmint!

Originally Posted by JRedHorse View Post
Thanks, mind if I copy this to give to them on Range day? Great advice from all!
You're welcome to it!
JRedHorse likes this.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:39   #18
Banned

When I was Scotland and the English Border lands many did not obey the gun laws. I had an associate from London visit me in Wyoming. He was excited to be in the West. He grew up on American Cowboy movies.
One of the things he wanted to do was fire a lever action Winchester. We went down Stove Creek Canyon below my place with a Mdl. 92 .44-40 lever gun. The Brit fired one round stopped put the gun down and looked sky ward. He was expecting the "Black Police" choppers to appear. A product of socialism. I assured him no cops would respond. He had the time of his life pretending rocks were stage robbers.
JRedHorse likes this.
Durango Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote