'44 LE No4Mk1* into a PScout Rifle! - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Curios and Relics C&R, collecting vintage firearms, etc.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 14:36   #26

Ain't hindsight a wonderful thing! I bought No4 Mk2 Enfield's brand new in the mummy wrap for $75-85 bucks apiece. Could of gotten them even cheaper buying them by the crate at Traders gun store in Oakland.

Same with most other military surplus arms, Sks, Mauser rifles, Ak's and 35 dollar Mosin Nagant's. Those in the wrap Enfield's are going for $600+ these days with a premium for the serial numbers in the Irish contact range
Old 09-16-2012, 14:31   #27
absit injuria verbis

Enfield Range Report 9.16.12

Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
...I bought No4 Mk2 Enfield's brand new in the mummy wrap for $75-85 bucks apiece....Those in the wrap Enfield's are going for $600+ these days....
At $75-85 I'd buy a few and enjoy cleaning them. I recently saw an in-the-wrap Enfield on backpage.com. You are correct about their current pricing. It has been sold, too

Took the Enfield back out to BA again, only for about an hour before I popped my first case head. Kind of surprised because this is once-reloaded, neck-sized only brass. Might be in need of a headspace check. Lame.
Attached Thumbnails
'44 LE No4Mk1* into a PScout Rifle!-ba9.16.12enfieldred100yrd.jpg   '44 LE No4Mk1* into a PScout Rifle!-ba9.16.12enfieldred50-5rnd.jpg   '44 LE No4Mk1* into a PScout Rifle!-ba9.16.12enfieldred50yrd-10rnd.jpg   '44 LE No4Mk1* into a PScout Rifle!-enfieldstripper-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Capt. Killingfield; 09-16-2012 at 15:18.
Capt. Killingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 21:48   #28

Looks like its shooting pretty good. Curious, what # bolt head do you have? When I started shooting Enfields one of the first things I bought was a broken case extractor. Its been used quite a few times.

Old 09-16-2012, 23:58   #29
absit injuria verbis

Looks like its shooting pretty good. Curious, what # bolt head do you have? When I started shooting Enfields one of the first things I bought was a broken case extractor. Its been used quite a few times.
Thanks Jeff, I'm not too disappointed in the rifle. I myself could do a little better in the accuracy department. It has a #2 bolt head. I've read that #3's are hard to find. I'll have to do some research on case extractors tomorrow...i'm out repoin' again, been running nights last couple of weeks
Old 09-17-2012, 04:41   #30

You can probably find another # 2 thats longer then what you have, they varied quite a bit. You really need to measure and see where your at. One thing you don't want to do is get the head space to tight. If its to tight you will wear the locking lug on the bolt. I like the Okie gauges because you don't have to disassemble the bolt and pull the firing pin to use them. Okie Headspace Gauges
Old 09-17-2012, 15:02   #31
absit injuria verbis

A Danger of Range Brass

You can probably find another # 2 thats longer then what you have, they varied quite a bit. You really need to measure and see where your at....
Thanks for the link. I took a pic of how I would measure the bolt head. Is this correct?

A thought has just come to mind. The last time I had gone to the range, two weeks ago, a fellow Enfield enthusiast with an English accent at the bench next to mine had picked up some range brass in front of our benches. He was nice enough to hand them to me, knowing I was new to the Enfield game, and could use the expensive brass.

They were Sellier & Bellot casings fired from a rifle of unknown headspace. Realizing that chamberings differ between these old rifles, I FL-sized the S&B's, hoping I could then fire-form them and 'make 'em mine'. At the time I noticed that the necks of these casings were more 'rounded', ie, the transition from case wall to neck wall had a smoother transition. I think this was a major clue.

Anyways, in the picture, the 3 casings on the left are Remington once-fired, and the 3 casings on the right are S&B once-fired. Notice the unmistakable case-stretch mark on the S&Bs. I'm taking apart the remaing S&B loads and trashing the brass. They must've been fired in an Enfield with excessive headspace, rendered unreloadable. Hence the shooter leaving them in the dirt. The FL-sizing didn't help either...

I'm hoping I may still be ok here, as long as the case extractor I ordered works.
Thanks much for your time Jeff F.
Attached Thumbnails
'44 LE No4Mk1* into a PScout Rifle!-boltheadmeasure.jpg   '44 LE No4Mk1* into a PScout Rifle!-s-btorncasehead.jpg  
Old 09-17-2012, 17:38   #32

Yes, thats the way you measure them. S&B brass is hard and pretty brittle. I have to anneal the necks on my S&B brass or they split after only 1 or 2 reloads. Heres a chart I found over at Surplus Rifles forum with bolt head sizes, theres a lot of overlap. If the bolt closes on a .067 and not on a .074 gauge the rifle is correctly head spaced.
Attached Thumbnails
'44 LE No4Mk1* into a PScout Rifle!-boltheads.jpg  
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
Old 09-19-2012, 19:15   #33
absit injuria verbis

Thanks for the chart Jeff. I'll see what happens on my next outing, using only my Remington brass. Currently waiting on my stuck case extractor to get shipped to me. I hope it works as advertised.
Old 09-26-2012, 18:02   #34
absit injuria verbis

Tonight, I finally gave in to the urge to inlet the original sporterized wood stock on the Enfield. I grabbed a dremel, my stock, and an old tube of lipstick from my sister, and went to work. It took me almost exactly two hours, whittling away little bit at a time.
I'll have to weigh it, but it's definitely heavier. I like it much better; it feels like a real rifle now. The synthetic stock was nice and light, with good contours, but it just felt too 'hollow' for me. We'll see how my shoulder accepts the change.

Last edited by Capt. Killingfield; 04-09-2013 at 00:49.
Capt. Killingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:33   #35

It's been a very long time since this project was mentioned. It's like it just died on the vine. Having completed my No4 Mk1 Scout Rifle not too long ago, I'm wondering how this one turned out...
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
daddyusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 21:57   #36
absit injuria verbis

Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
It's been a very long time since this project was mentioned. It's like it just died on the vine. Having completed my No4 Mk1 Scout Rifle not too long ago, I'm wondering how this one turned out...
Hey 'Max...thanks for your interest! It has been quite a while. I still have the rifle. Don't shoot it too often, since the last few years kind of "programmed" me to conserve ammo. I'm sure the shelves have been refilled with gunpowder, but I haven't gone to check.
I have all of the reloading dies I need to keep her fed, have about 100 rounds with 5 loaded stripper clips, so I'm happy. Happy enough with her that I've moved on to making my other firearms nicer, like my 1969 Ruger Standard and my 1972 Model 71 Beretta Jaguar.
Do you have a build thread on your rifle?
Attached Thumbnails
'44 LE No4Mk1* into a PScout Rifle!-cymera_20190328_225048_1585630551384.jpg   '44 LE No4Mk1* into a PScout Rifle!-cymera_20150627_022104_1585630663051.jpg  
Old 03-30-2020, 22:06   #37

https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/bolt...out-rifle.html
daddyusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote