Gear loadout for a river camping trip - Shooting Sports Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevin
  • 1 Post By freesw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 12:22   #1
Administrator

Gear loadout for a river camping trip

To get ready for an upcoming camping trip I decided to do a load out list. List like this help you see what your pack contains, and hopefully spot missing items in the list.

For those of you looking at this list and wondering how I am going to pack off of this gear, the easy answer is “I am not going to pack it”. The camping trip is going to be on the banks of the Angelina River. This means the boat is going to be carrying the gear for me; all I have to do is load the boat up and go.

Pack – Large MOLLE pack with internal sleep system, 2 sustainment pouches on the MOLLE pack. I was going to take my large ALICE pack, but my sleeping bag, food, fleece liner and poncho liner filled up the pack. This means I am having to store a lot of my gear in the sustainment pouches on the MOLLE.

Tent – Wenzel Lone Tree Hiker Tent, this item is hit and miss and might be difficult to find

Tarp – 6Χ8 foot for tent ground cloth

Sleeping bag – Coleman Exponent Tasman X 32-Degree Hybrid Sleeping Bag

Sleeping bag liner – GI poncho liner and fleece sleeping bag

Sleeping pad – Coleman Max

Food:
4 Eversafe meals
4 packs Ramen noodles
5 pouches Mountain House freeze dried meals – granola with milk and blueberries, scrambled eggs with bacon, lasagna with meat sauce, beef stew and last but not least sweet & sour pork with rice.
3 – Power bars protein plus
4 – Granola bar
Various snacks
MSR alpine stowaway 775ml pot
Coleman max mixed fuel stove
Lighter
Fork and spoon
1 fuel canister

First aid kit

Change of clothes

Water filter – its a older Pur filter unit with a katadyn hiker replacement filter

Personal hygiene kit

Mossberg 590 with #4 shot and slugs. I plan on doing some hunting while on this camping trip.

3 Fishing poles

5 gallon bucket of trotline supplies

5 gallon bucket of noodles and various fishing supplies

My main tackle box – this is where I keep various fishing gear for everything from bass to perch fishing.

Schrade Extreme Survival knife SCHF9

Gerber Big Rock from Rocky National

Parachute hammock – for when I need to stretch out and relax. There is just something about being in a hammock as the wind blows through the trees.

Cold Steel heavy terrain chopper. I bought this machete back in the early 1990s, I do not think its in production anymore.

Small camping pillow – I guess I am starting to get old. Using my extra clothes or 2 quart canteen as a pillow is not as comfortable as it used to be. Years ago, I used to take my pants, fold them and up and put the pants into a spare shirt. It was not very comfortable 15 – 20 years ago, and its even more uncomfortable now.
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 18:00   #2

When I canoe camp in the Adirondack Mts, I bring a slightly bigger tent in case of bad weather. Helps being able to move around some if you're stuck inside a few hours. Since I'm over 50, found that a small pack-able cot is also pretty handy. Couple cases and a bottle of JD can keep the chill off and help you sleep when the coyotes are making a racket...lol
wolfspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:40   #3

flashlight

Last time I went canoing down the Guadalupe River we saw two water moccasins.
Snakebites: First aid - MayoClinic.com
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:59   #4

I'm a little late to this party, but I'll add one thing. I see that you said "a lighter". I'd want a backup fire starter. An extra lighter, a fire-steel, waterproof matches....something.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:49   #5
Administrator

Everything on the camping trip went great. I bought a 3 legged stool to keep my butt off the cold ground.

The coleman butane/propane mixed fuel stove did great at cooking noodles and boiling water for mountain house pouch meals.

For my sleeping bag I brought my US Army extreme cold weather sleeping bag and a poncho liner for sleeping bag liner. The temps on the first night dipped into the upper 20s. the sleeping bag got a little "cool", but not cold enough to bother me.

The Pur water filter with a katadyn hiker replacement filter worked great.

One of the flashlights I brought was a Maglight 3 cell D LED light. With that thing we could see all the way across the river.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:50   #6

I got one of those three leg stools for backpacking, use it all the time. The US extreme bags are so warm, like sleeping on a cloud when I bring my collapsible cot. Guy on AR15dotcom is selling the new modular military bags for $99 shipped.
WTS: USGI Gore-tex 4 piece Modular Sleep System 99$ SHIPPED - AR15.COM
wolfspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 17:10   #7

can't go wrong w/a few small bottles of tabasco sauce.
spare knife and spare spectacles if needed
gloves