Ammo purchasing in California - Shooting Sports Forum

Cal/Neva Gun Chat California and Nevada gun chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2015, 23:52   #1

Ammo purchasing in California

After the 1st of the year i am going to be stranded in California off and on for a few months. And will be spending quite some time a mile away from a shooting range. I was wanting to get in some range time; and my wife, who will be taking my place at times wants to learn to shoot. My question for any of you who still live there is, can i as a non resident purchase ammo in California? Primarily handgun ammo.
theycallmecrazyforshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 18:50   #2

Assuming you are obviously over 21 (for the handgun ammo) and not buying in the city of Los Angeles I highly doubt anybody will even ask for ID
whofarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 18:56   #3
Operation:Mindcrime

I am not making fun of the question, quite the contrary. We are known as being so messed up, no one knows what hides behind the iron curtain, aka, the Peoples Republik of Kalifornias border.

Theres a revolution calling you!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scorpion of Mars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2015, 19:04   #4

Funny thing is I was told by a buddy that a gun dealer in Arizona told him it was illegal to sell him ammo because he was from California. So I see the validity in the question.
Old 12-08-2015, 20:54   #5

Originally Posted by whofarted View Post
Funny thing is I was told by a buddy that a gun dealer in Arizona told him it was illegal to sell him ammo because he was from California. So I see the validity in the question.
Unbelievable

Old 12-09-2015, 13:19   #6

Assuming you are obviously over 21 (for the handgun ammo) and not buying in the city of Los Angeles I highly doubt anybody will even ask for ID
Just a few months shy of 65, so i at least have that covered.
So you don't think it will be a problem out in the High Desert?
Old 12-09-2015, 13:23   #7

Regardless of where you are you shouldnt have any problem.
Old 12-09-2015, 13:26   #8

Originally Posted by Scorpion of Mars View Post
I am not making fun of the question, quite the contrary. We are known as being so messed up, no one knows what hides behind the iron curtain, aka, the Peoples Republik of Kalifornias border.
Funny thing is i grew up in California. Spent about 35 years there. Moved to America in "89".
Recent study claims i now live in the 3rd most corrupt state in the union. I can get readily available cheap ammo, but our cowardly politicians cowtow to anything TSA, DHS, or any other alphabet with money wants them to do. So we have those drive by sniffers. Not sure i want to drive by them with several thousand rounds of ammo...
Old 12-09-2015, 13:28   #9

Regardless of where you are you shouldnt have any problem.
Thanks. I will give it a try. If it don't work i may be able to look up an old friend somewhere.
Old 12-09-2015, 13:28   #10

You do have to abide by our assault weapon laws including hi cap magazines. Neither can be "imported" into the state
Old 12-09-2015, 13:41   #11

Calguns.net links

Semi Auto Rifle Flow Chart
Handgun Flow Chart
Shotgun Flow Chart

CA.gov link
Transporting Firearms in California | State of California - Department of Justice - Kamala D. Harris Attorney General

Check these out to understand whats legal and whats not
Old 12-09-2015, 13:47   #12

Originally Posted by theycallmecrazyforshort View Post
Just a few months shy of 65, so i at least have that covered.
So you don't think it will be a problem out in the High Desert?
Thats my favorite spot!