• 1 Post By Rockys Pop
  • 1 Post By chill1955
  • 1 Post By dh1633pm
  • 1 Post By chill1955

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2020, 17:34   #1

Arisaka Type 38

Hello boys.
I recently was given this rifle by my brother in law who was given this rifle by his brother a collector of militaria. Since I have had time on my hands I stripped and oiled a battle encrusted stock, shrapnel gouges a small split repair at the dove tail in the rear caused by another sharp pointed object. Then I moved to the metal that was all good with minor surface rust. Keep in mind the Japanese were the first to chrome line barrels (taken the Arisaka history class) it looked nice a sharp but not bright. So I ran a patch and it came out filthy. SO I continued, and continued, and continued literally running out of #9. SO I figured it's just dark but clear. Then an expedition to find ammo. Two boxes of 140 grain/2400 fps. Which would be a max load, but hey it's a Mauser. Took it out back to 50 yards shot 5 and went dam, this thing shoots! The next morning I examine the cases with my glasses on and and say uh oh, flat primers and they were a bit tough on extraction. So I go get a bore brush and some hevy duty copper solvent. OMG after about 3 hours over three days of letting it sit I finally have a shiny bore! Haven't shot it again yet but I will tomorrow. Hopefully I didn't clean the accuracy out of the barrel! Pictures to follow.
freesw and SMOGGUY like this.
Old 10-07-2020, 20:56   #2

Yeah, they were the strongest action of any rifle in WWII and not much beats them now for strength either. They are a hoot to shoot and usually fairly accurate.
chill1955 likes this.
Legion489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:19   #3

The stock on this thing is like a totem pole telling of many battles. This one was brought back by a Marine or Soldier with the emperors mark intact made at the Tokyo factory in 1939-1940. I wish the rifle could speak!
SMOGGUY likes this.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:59   #4

Well I have never experienced this before but apparently this rifle was NEVER cleaned, there is carbon embedded in the lands. I got all the copper out, now I'm left with carbon tree bark! Thus the over pressured signs on the cases. J-B Bore paste is on the way could not find it locally. I have never experienced such a bore mess.
SMOGGUY likes this.
Old 10-10-2020, 17:00   #5
Honor our Constitution !

may have to take drastic measures & either use a stainless brush, or a de-leading kit
chill1955 likes this.
Old 10-11-2020, 13:55   #6

I'll do what ever it takes bud! I won't keep a non shooter as a war relic. I 'm pretty sure the bore paste will do it. I wore the bronze brush out on the first layers. Daym.
Old 10-14-2020, 22:32   #7
Honor our Constitution !

do you have the bayonette & cleaning rod for it.....or is it the type 99 that those pieces are unicorns for?
been so long that I have honestly forgotten.
I preserved and glass cased one for a gentleman that his Dad had brought home as a trophy from Okinawa.....preserved it with the blood and strands of black hair still on it.
chill1955 likes this.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:12   #8

Originally Posted by Rockys Pop View Post
do you have the bayonette & cleaning rod for it.....or is it the type 99 that those pieces are unicorns for?
been so long that I have honestly forgotten.
I preserved and glass cased one for a gentleman that his Dad had brought home as a trophy from Okinawa.....preserved it with the blood and strands of black hair still on it.
Well RP using my JB bore polish I got yesterday and 3 more hours of meticulous scrubbing. Probably 100 patches and to scrub I used the patches over a .22 bronze brush I cleaned nearly 80 years of carbon out. This was brought back and put in a closet. Bayonet and cleaning rod intact. If the rain holds off, I'll get out there and test fire 3. Hopefully the overpressure signs are gone. I need some good light to get some photos of it. I used to be 5'10" Now I'm 5'9" lol but with bayonet it's taller than me! Wieldly to say the least.
Oh, you want a bore cleaned? Get some of that JB bore polish. Keep in mind I had worked that bore with solvents brush and swab and it wasn't touching the carbon bark I call it, embedded in the lands.
Rockys Pop likes this.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:09   #9

I had a Mauser K98 that had a sewer pipe bore. I used Wipe-Out in the bore but it didn't really take out everything. I then used some wire mesh wrapped around the jig, bore cleaner and a drill. That cleaned it out good. Now I can clearly see the rifling. I used JB Bore Polish to finish things up. We do need some pictures? Type 38's are build pretty stout.
Rockys Pop likes this.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 17:21   #10

Another 50 patches today with a lot of scrubbing. I'm thinking what is that brass scrubbing pad chore boy then I can use new pads but it is still producing black with heavy brushing then the patch comes out BLack. I sure hope this dam rifle is worth the trouble! Soaking in oil/J/B mix again.
Rockys Pop likes this.
Old Yesterday, 04:12   #11

I just picked up a Type 99 at a gun show this past weekend. I have some 7.7x58 ammo on the way and hope to shoot it this weekend. Between now and then I will spend some time trying to clean the bore. It looks to have some cosmoline type stuff in it, but overall it seems to be in pretty good shape for a last ditch rifle.
pukindog is offline   Reply With Quote