Building a Lee Enfield No 4 Mk1 Scout Rifle - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2020, 06:49   #26

daddy, you have inspired me! That is a sharp build. I like it, especially the short piece of stock between the bbl bands. Nice woodwork. A three way mashup between a milsurp Lee Enfield, a sporter buttstock and a scout bbl. Wonder how that ‘look’ would look on a 1903 Springfield action? Might be what I do to my next victim. Bubba the bubba so to speak.
Baltimoreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 13:27   #27

Range day. Only had one brand of ammo to test, PPU 180 gr SPBT. I used some old M16 25 m zero targets. Not a stellar performance, but not too bad. Kinda unsure if I should tinker with the fit of the stock as it hits the barrel. I wasn't shooting very well today. Somehow, I managed to get the same size groups at 50 yds, and at 100... Just under 3".

daddyusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 00:45   #28
Honor our Constitution !

how's your crown?

might want to refit the forend, but the .303 Enfield was never meant to be a MOA gun.....more MOdeer chest.

Edit: that's actually good shooting from a .303 !!
I wouldn't be afraid to show that off!

Was the bullseye your 1st shot?
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:05   #29

I don't know what one was the first shot. Didn't look till after all 5. I was leaving, and had a clean target left at the 50 yd line I didn't take down. Then the speakers gave the two minute warning till cease fire so I shot at it, went down, snapped the photo, and took the targets down. Turned out to be one of the better groups... lol. Group is 2.75" from the outside of the bullet holes. I'm actually pretty damn happy. That zero target just looks like a piece of white paper through the 2.5 power scout scope...
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:18   #30

Today was a nice day for an outside photo shoot. Took it down in the back 40 to my favorite rock.

Old 03-15-2020, 21:05   #31

turned out great. She's a shooter. Hows the headspace? Check the fired cases put one next to a new factory round and see how much the case has stretched. 303 is headspaced at the rim and can have a really long chamber. The cases don't last long if you full length size them. Neck sized fire formed cases are your friend. Lee makes 185grain bullet mold for 303. You can use the same mold for 7.62x54R. You can cast them out of wheel weights and tumble lube them with Lee Alox. No need to size them for Sub-sonic loads are a blast to shoot plus you don't need gas checks. No sound or recoil. I use 6-7 grains of Bullseye or Red Dot powder for 303 or 54R.

Cast Bullet Loads for Military Rifles - Article
Old 03-16-2020, 14:03   #32

There are plenty of people preserving guns like that for the sake of history. It's good to see someone making it into something useful as opposed to a safe queen. And a good job too.
There are plenty of safe queens around, I've got a few myself I only drag out once in a while for a few rounds a the range.
pukindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 14:43   #33

Enjoyable reading, I don't own one of the mail surp rifles but wish I had grabbed one of the 6.5 Swedes when available.
The link to the handloads is welcome. Nowhere have I read that shooting reduced powder cast slug loads in modern bolt guns is VERBOTEN!!
Old 04-02-2020, 18:22   #34

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
Originally Posted by 51colt View Post
turned out great. She's a shooter. Hows the headspace? Check the fired cases put one next to a new factory round and see how much the case has stretched. 303 is headspaced at the rim and can have a really long chamber. The cases don't last long if you full length size them. Neck sized fire formed cases are your friend. Lee makes 185grain bullet mold for 303. You can use the same mold for 7.62x54R. You can cast them out of wheel weights and tumble lube them with Lee Alox. No need to size them for Sub-sonic loads are a blast to shoot plus you don't need gas checks. No sound or recoil. I use 6-7 grains of Bullseye or Red Dot powder for 303 or 54R.

Cast Bullet Loads for Military Rifles - Article
I found an easy way to measure actual headspace on these rifles. Use a piece of plastigage over the case head, close bolt, and allow it to squish. Compare squished plastigage to package markings. Add clearance measured by plastigage to actual rim thickness, and you have actual headspace measurement.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:07   #35

My #4 is way out of spec. What I did is I put an o-ring next to the rim then fire formed the cases for cast bullets. I smoked some cases to check them I am getting a good fit now. The plan for my #4 was to cut it down to 20 inches but I wanted to figure what I am going to do with the bedding first?

Old 04-03-2020, 11:16   #36

Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
Range day. Only had one brand of ammo to test, PPU 180 gr SPBT. I used some old M16 25 m zero targets. Not a stellar performance, but not too bad. Kinda unsure if I should tinker with the fit of the stock as it hits the barrel. I wasn't shooting very well today. Somehow, I managed to get the same size groups at 50 yds, and at 100... Just under 3".

If it was my rifle I would leave it alone. That factory ammo does not come close to fitting your chamber. If you neck size you've fired cases and work up a good load I think you will be very happy.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:39   #37

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
Originally Posted by 51colt View Post
If it was my rifle I would leave it alone. That factory ammo does not come close to fitting your chamber. If you neck size you've fired cases and work up a good load I think you will be very happy.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^
Hell, I only partially neck size cases for mine. Granted, those cases now go with that rifle only, but I was able to cut groups in half!
The lee collet neck sizing die, with a washer slipped over the case and laying on the shell holder, causes it to only size a portion of the neck.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 16:56   #38
absit injuria verbis

Today was a nice day for an outside photo shoot. Took it down in the back 40 to my favorite rock.

What a gorgeous rifle! That is an heirloom piece I'd be proud to pass down. I bet it feels real good in the hands. You let anyone with a store-bought bolt-gun run that bolt and watch their eyes light up!
My dad has a Remington 700bdl with what feels like a 20lb trigger. When he fired my Scout for the first time, he had an accidental discharge because my trigger was so light. I had to remind him it was "battle proven" lol.
As someone who has Sporterized and Scouted his own No4Mk1*, I too hold more value in something I can shoot and enjoy, rather than stare at.
If you're not handloading now I would really suggest getting the dies and doing it, you won't be sorry.
What kind of scope is that?
The best advise I can offer that I haven't read mentioned, is to get a CASE EXTRACTOR! I am sure you're aware of case-head separation. Nothing worse than a range-day ruined by a stuck case after 3 rounds 😦
Anyways, your rifle is gorgeous, and I am jealous 👍
2rangers and daddyusmaximus like this.
Old 07-24-2020, 18:55   #39

Originally Posted by Capt. Killingfield View Post
What a gorgeous rifle! That is an heirloom piece I'd be proud to pass down. I bet it feels real good in the hands. You let anyone with a store-bought bolt-gun run that bolt and watch their eyes light up!
My dad has a Remington 700bdl with what feels like a 20lb trigger. When he fired my Scout for the first time, he had an accidental discharge because my trigger was so light. I had to remind him it was "battle proven" lol.
As someone who has Sporterized and Scouted his own No4Mk1*, I too hold more value in something I can shoot and enjoy, rather than stare at.
If you're not handloading now I would really suggest getting the dies and doing it, you won't be sorry.
What kind of scope is that?
The best advise I can offer that I haven't read mentioned, is to get a CASE EXTRACTOR! I am sure you're aware of case-head separation. Nothing worse than a range-day ruined by a stuck case after 3 rounds 😦
Anyways, your rifle is gorgeous, and I am jealous 👍
Thanks. The scope on it in the photo is a Leupold scout scope. It's 2.45 fixed power. Very nice piece of glass, but it's no longer on there. I was moving stuff around about a week or so back, and decided to put it on the Spanish Mouser. This Lee Enfield now sports a Sig Romeo 5 red dot. It can still be used in the scout role if needed, but now also in a defensive role. Having sold my only .308 carbine and am without a .308 battle rifle. This fills that gap... and quite nicely. I second what you say about the smooth trigger. This one is one of the best I own. Don't know if all Lee Enfields are like that or if it just wore in nicely over 75+ years, but it's perfect. Neither of my 2 Mausers were anywhere close... One ended up with a Timney...

2rangers and Rockys Pop like this.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:01   #40

By the way, I built our barstool golf hole in keeping with a military theme, us being not a normal bar, but a veterans center...

However, not wanting to waste an M38A1 front clip, I used one from a CJ-5.
They are exactly the same. I have a M170 (CJ 6) Windshield on my CJ5.

As far as your Enfield build goes I think you done good. The History buffs make me puke as I have 2 #4 Mk1's and both were Sporterized by Parker Hale who did literally thousands of them after the War in the 50's and 60's.

Just think of how much history they trashed,,, Oh,,, and that was British History too boot !!! And it was trashed by A British Company!!! Mortal Sin! Heresy !!!

When it comes to mass produced Military arms the only rare ones are specials which were limited runs or ones that are New in Box and never fired.

Beyond that they are all Shooters.

Here's a pic of my #4 Mk1 Parker Hale Standard Sporter $200 that I made into a L39 replica.

Here's a pic of the Redfield Olympic Rear sight I adapted to it.

Here's a pic of my Parker Hale Deluxe Sporter $175 that I am redoing. It has been rebored to .35-303 !~ OMG he changed the caliber to a Wildcat? Death by Bonga!!!

None of these guns have any collectors value whatsoever ! And Besides that they are my guns and I'll do what I please with them and any one who cares can pound sand!

I hope you feel the same way as that a is the only correct way to feel .

This is a Free Country!

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Building a Lee Enfield No 4 Mk1 Scout Rifle-100463790.jpg   Building a Lee Enfield No 4 Mk1 Scout Rifle-100463826.jpg   Building a Lee Enfield No 4 Mk1 Scout Rifle-100463957.jpg  
2rangers and daddyusmaximus like this.
Old 07-31-2020, 22:28   #41

Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

Here's a pic of the Redfield Olympic Rear sight I adapted to it.

Thanks so much for posting that. I have bad memory from a TBI, but that reminded me... I have an old Redfield sight I took off a Remington 513 when I had a scope put on it.
Old 08-01-2020, 13:25   #42

It is a simple adapter plate I made that uses the Ejector screw and a screw thru the left rear sight boss to hold it.

I can make them for any Receiver Sight that attaches to the left side of the gun with a flat surface.

Here's a pic of the one I made for the Redfield Olympic. Redfield Olympics are around <$100 on Ebay. A Parker Hale Target Sight like used on an L39 is more like $400 and this one is actually a way better and more accurate sight.

Here's one showing a Standard Redfield or Lyman Receiver Sight Mounted to the gun. The adapter plates were available from Redfield in the 60's, Hens Teeth now, but easily made. You also have to make a longer Ejector Screw out of an 8-36 bolt. Good luck finding an 8-36 bolt as they are just about non existent nowadays. 8-32's are the Common #8 screw now. FYI the hole in the receiver is 8-35 !!!, and leave it to the British to do something weird like that!

Simple thing to make. I just adapted it to various uses. I also have a design that incorporates a small section of Pic Rail on top so a Red Dot Sight can be adapted.

Incidentally my L39 Replica is a 1.5 MOA gun with that sight on it. Not so much with the Stock Ladder Sight, which is not adjustable for windage.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Building a Lee Enfield No 4 Mk1 Scout Rifle-access-j.jpg   Building a Lee Enfield No 4 Mk1 Scout Rifle-100463865.jpg  
Old 08-01-2020, 13:52   #43

Capt. Killingfield; On your reloading of the .303 British round,, the hot tip is to only Neck Size the cases.

Virtually all #4 Rifles have longer shoulders in the chambers which since the case headspaces on the rim allows the gun to chamber any round loaded anywhere in the Empire. The shoulder lengths do vary from country to country.

If you set the shoulder back once or twice it makes the case separate just in front of the Extractor groove, thus requiring the case removal tool.

Here's a pic of a factory loaded round and a reloaded case fired in my gun.

You can easily see the difference. I recommend a Lee Collet Neck Sizing Die as is squeezes the case neck down on a mandrel instead of shoving it into a sizing hole. This works the brass much less.

I have cases that have been loaded 5-7 times with full power loads with no signs of failing. That "sign" would be a shiny ring around the base of the case. You can easily see that,,, and not fire that round and avoid the need for the extraction tool in the first place.

These three rounds were loaded with 150, 174 and 215 gr bullets to full power and you can see these were previously fired in my gun.

You can also see this tray full of previously fired cases and then the one in the last pic is a Cast Boolit Lyman 314299 and that batch of cases have been loaded many times as they are low power loads. I shot my career best Short Range Silhouette Score of 32/40 with that gun and those Cast Boolit Rounds.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Building a Lee Enfield No 4 Mk1 Scout Rifle-100463791-1.jpg   Building a Lee Enfield No 4 Mk1 Scout Rifle-100464003.jpg   Building a Lee Enfield No 4 Mk1 Scout Rifle-100463844.jpg   Building a Lee Enfield No 4 Mk1 Scout Rifle-100463842.jpg  
Old 08-06-2020, 00:38   #44
Honor our Constitution !

Alright...that's enough !!
next payday i'm beginning the hunt for an Ishapore #1 Mk3 carbine in .308.....I know they're out there, but will likely co$t a bit.........