cold smoked cheese - Shooting Sports Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By nickelplate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2020, 08:56   #1

cold smoked cheese

Did this in a Weber kettle a while back when the morning temps were cool enough. No hot coals, no gas flames, just the A-MAZE-N smoke tube filled with Apple pellets and slivers of mountain mahogany. Placed the tube on the bottom coal grate as far away as possible from the cheeses above. Since this was my first attempt I used less expensive flavors, Tillamook sharp and mild cheddar, swiss and monterey jack. The evening before the smoke I unwrapped the cheeses, put them on a plate and let them sit out on the kitchen counter over night to dry out a bit, a technique that allows the smoke to adhere better. Smoke times vary from internet writeups so I went with an average of two hours and kept the internal temperature below 90 degrees and more favorably just between 80/85 degrees.
Here's the hard part: They HAVE to age for two weeks in the fridge to allow the exterior smoke coating to penetrate into the cheese. This really works because when slicing you can actually see a slight darkened interior smoke ring around the circumference.
I read that if you can't resist the urge to taste test immediately after the smoke, just go lick the inside of the Weber's lid as it will taste the same as the cheese!
The verdict? OMG, what a delicious flavor-well worth the very little effort it took to produce.
So with one successful smoke done, I followed up with another. This time with more pricier selections. Gouda, mozzarella, gruyere and colby jack as seen in the photo. The cheeses are actually a little darker than the photo.
Can hardly wait for the coming cool fall weather to cold smoke another batch or six.
Attached Thumbnails
cold smoked cheese-after.jpg  
Momo and SMOGGUY like this.
nickelplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 20:45   #2

Now you’re talking, I love cheeses and always keep a couple in the fridge to snack from. I know what my next ‘toy’ is going to be.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:12   #3

Originally Posted by Momo View Post
Now you’re talking, I love cheeses and always keep a couple in the fridge to snack from. I know what my next ‘toy’ is going to be.
I bought it at Lowe's, I see there are a couple of them in Missouri or order on line from them or see the full selection at http://amazenproducts.com. Mine is the expandable 7" to 12" tube.
Be sure to get wood smoke pellets, not wood stove (for heat) pellets. Out here in California, Lowe's and Home Depot have 30lb bags in their BBQ sections but Walmart has them in smaller 20lb bags. As a first time smoker I went with the smaller bags just in case I didn't like the outcome.
This past cherry season my wife brought home a flat of cherries most of which I freeze but this year I also pitted and dried a bunch of them then chopped into smaller pieces then made a blend of mostly apple with an infusion of mountain mahogany and those dried cherries. Did a small test smoke and like the aroma but have yet to use it in the BBQ.

Last edited by nickelplate; 06-21-2020 at 16:13.
nickelplate is offline   Reply With Quote