Great rifle for the money - Shooting Sports Forum

AR-15 Talk AR-15 General Interest

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chill1955

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 16:23   #1
Registered Member

Great rifle for the money

I like this .223 Wylde. What should i load for it?

https://youtu.be/tXrNkH14TWc
Alaskan Ballistics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:15   #2

You'll have to experiment with it. But to be honest you were all over the bench moving around the bag, all hunkered down, a common mistake. Get some good rests under the rifle that are rock solid and high enough so that when you sit down your shoulder and the butt stock are at the same height. Then you can start actually grouping well enough to see what it likes to eat. At 5 degrees I'm n front of the fire place.
Old 02-20-2020, 16:36   #3

I have always said the wylde is like the 16 gauge, neither hay nor grass, somewhere in the middle. There is no need for the chambering. Here is another data point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvimkU_3xmQ

Old 02-21-2020, 11:19   #4

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
The wylde chamber has some great benefits to it. It has the accuracy of a tight, .223 rem chamber, but the ability to shoot hot 5.56mm rounds.
I'd say 95%+ competitors use it in their service rifles.
Mine put 18 of 20 rounds into less than 3" at 600yds. With the 2 called flyers, it was 1.1 MOA.
As far as loading, use the heaviest bullet the twist will stabilize, loaded to somewhere between .223 Rem and 5.56 MM pressures, and seat the bullet so it just fits the mag. Apply a light crimp with the LFCD, and it should shoot better than you can hold.
I know mine will.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:45   #5

You have a good rifle. We see the PSA offering on display. A Wylde chamber is no tighter or looser than the tolerances adhered to by the manufacturer is it? If I were loading for it I would neck size only maybe? I 'm not a competitor but the matches I watch don't have a lot of stainless barrels in them for another data point. You definitely have your combo figured out brother. That's some excellent shooting.
2rangers likes this.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:37   #6
BWM

I have 3 different chambers reg 223 & Wylde & MIL the 223 is the most accurate of the 3 my 223 is a Windham VEX-SS 20 in barrel 1:9 Armalite M-15A4-SPR 20 in Double lapped 1:9 Armalite M-15A4TBN 20 in match grade barrel 1:8 I have put in Timney triggers in all of them
Old 03-02-2020, 04:43   #7

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
Originally Posted by chill1955 View Post
You have a good rifle. We see the PSA offering on display. A Wylde chamber is no tighter or looser than the tolerances adhered to by the manufacturer is it? If I were loading for it I would neck size only maybe? I 'm not a competitor but the matches I watch don't have a lot of stainless barrels in them for another data point. You definitely have your combo figured out brother. That's some excellent shooting.
Thanks, Chill.
It took about 350 rounds before this barrel reached "good" shooting status, and so far it's maintaining it.
Since I'm loading for a service rifle AR, Neck sizing is out of the question. But my size die has been polished, and I only set the shoulder back about 1.5 thou.
I do use quite a bit of neck tension, and the neck ID after sizing is .218-.219".
I use boat tail bullets in it, and and seat them slowly and carefully.
As far as the wylde chambering, it's in the throat where it deviated from either 5.56 or .223 rem.
I forget the actual measurements, but for me it works, and I'm gonna stick with it until the barrel is shot out.
As far as stainless, I'm lazy.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote