• 2 Post By imarangemaster
  • 2 Post By imarangemaster
  • 1 Post By imarangemaster
  • 1 Post By imarangemaster
  • 1 Post By chill1955

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2018, 21:26   #1

Midway AR Stoner 7.62x39 AR15 kit sale!

I've been selling off much my collection for health/financial reasons, and I parted with my Mini-14 and Mini-30. The Mini-14 didn't bother me, as I have my light weight STAG-15 AR-15 featureless 5.56 6.25 lb. M4gery build with a 2x7 tactical scope I hated selling the Mini-30, though. I really like the 7.62x39 round, especially my 123 Nosler hand loads.

I opted on getting a 7.62x39 upper for my AR15. At 66 and on retirement mode, I am not a brand snob. Midway USA had complete AR Stoner uppers in 7.62x39 for $399.00 with BCG and charging handle. I figured I would pick one up to use with the AR lower I kept. Well, by the time I finally got around to ordering, they had a mondo good sale going, and I got the entire 7.62x39 AR Stoner build kit for $359! That inspired me to trade some +p 9mm I had to my buddy at the gunshop for another lower (another STAG-15) for this build.

I built the 7.62x39 carbine, replacing the stock and handguard with Magpul MOE stuff I had. Since I am in Commiefornia, I used a Sparrow Dynamics featureless grip, replaced the flash hider with a compact Tridelta comp, and pinned the stock to make it "fixed." I topped it off with Bushnell TRS-32 red dot I had in the cabinet, and picked up a couple ASC stainless steel 10 rounders.

I took it to the range today to sight her in. I fed it 100 rounds EACH of my Nosler 123 grain Varmagedon .310" brass cased handloads with 24.5 grains of 4198, and Tulammo Ulyanovsk 8M3 134 HPs steel case. All 200 rounds fired without a single failure.

First I did a battle sight with the TRS-32 at 25 yards where I confirmed both my handloads and the 8M3 had approximately the same POA/POI. I then put 10 rounds rapid fire into a 1.5" circle at 25 yards with the Tulammo. After that I began shooting clay pigeons at 100 yards, and finally assorted baseball and softball sized targets at 200 yards, still using the TRS-32. It was dead nuts on!

You all can spend the high dollar to drink the fancy weapon Kool-Aid, but my $450 7.62x39 AR Stoner/STAG15 build is good enough for me.I'd rather spend the money on the Grandkids and my wife! It will do as my ranch/home defense carbine and even whack the coyotes prowling our acreage out to 200 yards.

sandog and smbob like this.
imarangemaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 22:24   #2

Only problem I have had with my Stoner from Midway was the dust cover would pop open if you jarred the rifle. Thing shoots dead on have lots of rounds thru it with no problems at all. The upper cost 299.00 a few years back on sale. I have people at the range say the thing is a good looking and shooting weapon, till I tell them what it is and what I payed for it then the snob comes out. Apparently if it does not cost over 1500.00
it's not worth having. From the research I have done the Midway Stoner brand is made by Bear Creek Arsenal which I understand makes barrels for a lot of different companies, including their own brand.
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 22:57   #3

I have to laugh at "Brand Snobs". They obviously have a lot of excess cash. I have a mutt M4gery build (Stag lower, PSA upper,Colt M16 BCG, and a JSE 1/7 M4 barrel phosphate and chrome lined) that cost under $400 to build, but will do MOA with MK262 MOD1 77 grain OTMs. My $450 total AR Stoner on a Stag lower breaks clay pigeons at 100 yards with the TRS-32 red dot. Either of these will be terminally effective on varmints, Goblins, Zombie, Trogladites, Trolls, and Raving Insurrectionists!

Old 08-24-2018, 14:05   #4

I Went out into the woods with the AR Stoner 7.62x39 and did another 100 rounds of Tulammo 8M3. Function was flawless. Even though I had 100% reliability out of the box, this time I had replaced the hammer spring with a Wolff heavy one, and the firing pin with an enhanced 7.62x39 one from Black Rifle Armory.

Much better firing pin indentations in the steel case, but it wasn't locking the bolt open after the last round about 50% of the time now. I think the extra power hammer spring is slowing it a little. It is noticeably stiffer when pulling the charging handle to the rear to cycle the action. The bolt was going back far enough to cycle, but not always enough to go behind the bolt stop. Since I have the enhanced Firing Pin, I will try it with a standard hammer spring again.

I tried two different ASC 10 rounders and three different ASC stainless 20 rounders and they were all flawless. I REALLY like the feel and handling with the 20 rounders. The ASC 30 rounder, however, did not like the steel cased. In the past, they have worked with brass case ammo, though. A 30 round 7.62x39 magazines on a 6.25 pound AR15 Carbine is like a Thompson "C" drum on a 1928 Tommy Gun. Really cool firepower, but too heavy and ungainly to be practical.
sandog and smbob like this.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 08-24-2018 at 14:54.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:33   #5

Sounds like you're having fun, Ima !
I have to admit that featureless pistol grip sure is funky looking. I feel for you guys in Commiefornia. It looks like it would be awkward, but why the liberals think things like that will make the carbine less lethal is beyond me.
I saw a guys signature line on another forum that said " I try to see things from a liberal's point of view, but can't seem to get my head up my ass that far".

I'm saddened that you had to part with your Mini-30, but understand the financial thing.
I'm still in great health at 61 except for this weird allergy thing that doctor's haven't been able to figure out, gets so bad at times that my eyes are dripping buckets of tears and I can't work because everything is so blurry. Makes it hard to see when shooting too. Cortisones like Prednisone and Kenalog shots help a lot, but weaken your immune system, thin your skin and bones, etc. A cut on my arm takes a long time to heal as it is.

My Palmetto AR in x39 is fun to shoot, and the PA 3x prism really extends the range of the old x39.
I know what you mean about finding the right hammer spring weight. My PSA came with a 12 lb.! trigger that was gritty and as creepy as Chester the Molester.
I had already ordered a Velocity trigger from Midway that was supposed to be optimized for steel case ammo, but it was a week out, so I decided to improve the GI trigger I had.

I stoned the engagement surfaces and put in a JP reduced spring kit that said their springs with GI trigger and hammer would produce a 4 1/2 to 5 pound pull.
I put the gauge on it and it was now 3 1/2 pounds, and would not even set off brass cased stuff like PPU and my handloads with Winchester primers, much less steel case stuff.

I then put a standard hammer spring in (I think the one that came with it and produced a 12 lb. pull was an extra heavy one) but with the standard hammer spring used with the very light trigger and disconnector spring, the trigger was not resetting every time.

My 4lb. Velocity steel case drop in trigger arrived, and once installed, now reads a touch under 6 pounds. It is so crisp and such little travel and overtravel though, that it feels really good, and I figure the extra weight will ensure it will set off anything I put through it.

It has an "enhanced" firing pin, and has been 100% with everything.
With the Mini's and stock firing pins, I do get an occasional round of Red Army that won't ignite the first time, like 1 out of 100.
But that's better than 14 to 18 out of 100 with regular Tula that won't go off.

If there is a SHTF event and a case of Tula happens to be around, I'll slip in my longer fitted pin.
Yep, those 30 rounders in x39 sure are long. I still plan on getting a 75 round drum though, just because I can ! I will probably run 20 round P mags 99% of the time though.
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:52   #6

I think a heavier hammer spring is fine when used with an enhanced/longer firing pin, but not necessary. Many guys, especially with Mini-30's, seem to think that just a heavier hammer spring will solve their ignition problems.
Just a extra power hammer spring will impart more energy on the pin, but the pin can't "stretch" and go further into the primer no matter how hard you hit it.

Primers in Russian ammo, most being made to the specs of their military ammo, are probably a bit harder, to reduce the chance of a slam fire.
Kinda like the Mil Spec primers that CCI sells, the #34 and#41.
Or a Federal/Lake City or CCI magnum primer, a harder cup than say, a W-W primer.
I had a slam fire in my AR-10 a few years ago using W-W primers.

I thought Winchester primers were on the hard side, but apparently back in the 90's Winchester changed the cup material and now are considered some of the softest.
I switched to CCI magnums for the AR-10 loads, but W-W primers are still what I use for everything else.

Tula seems to be the deepest set primers of all, as they are the most difficult for the Mini to set off.
A firing pin with more protrusion is needed to reach that primer and give a good indentation in it, but to many guys, the solution is just to try to smack a standard pin harder.
Without a longer "enhanced" pin, all they are doing is putting more stress on a pin that is too short to begin with.
My thoughts on the matter, anyway.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:04   #7

I think you are right. I pulled the heavy hammer spring and replaced it with the original. Fired a Tulammo round and the primer indent was the same as with the Heavier one. The enhanced firing pin is the key. I haven't shot any brass cased since I put the longer firing pin in, but I don't think it will perforate the primers, especially with the standard hammer spring.

I had to order some of those Hornady Z-Max bullets from Midway USA. The Noslers have that square shoulder in front of the crimping groove, and don't fit into the lede area of the chamber. I had to reset the Noslers in front of the crimp groove, but that compresses the load slightly, and even with the LEE factory crimp die compressing the crimp into the bullet, it doesn't alway stay.

I had 400 rounds still loaded, after I reset and fired the 100 when I first got it. I have pulled 100, saving the primer and powder. Still have another 300 to go. Loading will be easy, though, as the cases are already primed. I'll just pull the de-capper to to resize the necks back prior to loading.
sandog likes this.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 08-25-2018 at 11:23.
Old 08-25-2018, 16:52   #8

Ima.. you went featureless over fixed. Whats your reasoning?
whofarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 20:14   #9

Originally Posted by whofarted View Post
Ima.. you went featureless over fixed. Whats your reasoning?
I have an LEO exemption for high cap magazines, I can possess them. Even without it, 10 rounders that drop free change easily. An SKS chest pouch full of 10 rounders gives good firepower when you have featureless with a standard mag release. I had my M4 registered as an AW, but made it featureless and deregistered it.
Old 08-26-2018, 17:25   #10

Standard capacity mags.. totally get it.
whofarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:40   #11

Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
I think you are right. I pulled the heavy hammer spring and replaced it with the original. Fired a Tulammo round and the primer indent was the same as with the Heavier one. The enhanced firing pin is the key.
^^^^THIS^^^^
A heavier hammer spring makes NO difference except for being more stressful on your stock firing pin.
The enhanced/longer pin is the way to go.
Without a new pin that has more protrusion, a heavier hammer spring is just pissing into the wind.
A pin that will reach those deeper seated primers is what works, not a heavier hammer smack.
Old 08-28-2018, 13:24   #12

AR Stoner (which is Bear Creek armory rebranded) has a bad rep at times for quality and accuracy. In My research, however, I found most negative reviews were based on hearsay, or 'I knew someone who knew someone...' etc. Very few (if any) bad reviews were from actual owners. My experience has certainly been good. It is much the same as the Mini-14/30. The bad reviews are hearsay.

With my 7.62x39 AR Stoner/BCA, I break clay pigeons at 100 yards using Tulammo 8m3 using a Bushnell TRS-32 red dot., and hit a grapefruit at 200 yards using the same red dot and ammo. Not necessarily MOA, but Minute of Zombie/Goblin/Troll/Raving Insurrectionist/Boogieman. My Nosler 7.62x39 handloads did a one hole cloverleaf 1/4" center to center at 25 yards with the same AR Stoner/BCA barrel and same red dot.

MY Cheap $139 JSE complete 16" M4 phosphate/chrome lined 1/7" 5.56 barrel assembly gives MOA with MK262 MOD1 77s, using a 2x6 tactical no-name $139.00 scope.

As a rule with AR15 platforms, name does necessarily determine accuracy and or quality or lack of it (EXCEPT FOR BLACKTHORNE JUNK!). There are a very few actual manufacturers of the major components (barrels, BCGs, and lower and upper forgings), who sell them to everyone and their brother who puts their name on it.
chill1955 likes this.
Old 09-05-2018, 17:02   #13

Update: Went to the range to check function and accuracy of my new load: 24.5 grains IMR 4198, WLR primer, and a 123 grain Hornady Z-Max bullet in assorted brass cases. The Z-Max has a thicker jacket than the Nosler Varmagedon, which might do for coyote, but would probably be too light for mountain lion or two legged varmints. I also switched from the Magpul furniture to some light weight retro CAR-15 furniture to save 13 oz. 100 rounds, with zero malfunctions. I use a 25 yard POA = POI for roughly a 200 yard zero.

25 yard (red dot is 1") 30 rounds, rapid fire - about 3 shots a minute, at 25 yards off hand, using a Busnell 1X TRS-32 red dot, co-witnessed with BUIS. The red circle in the middle of the target was 1". I also broke clay pigeons at100 yards from a casual rest, and hit a 6" pine cone at 200 yards.

500 rounds of whoop @ss!

The 7.62x39 with CAR-15 retro furniture

I absolutely love this little7.62x39 Carbine. It has replaced my 5.56 build (with MK 262 MOD1) for my ranch.home defensive carbine. The 5.56 with MK262 MOD1 with its 2x6 scope will do the longer range stuff. On the ranch, 125 yards is about the tops for a shot.
Old 09-05-2018, 20:25   #14

Personally, I don't care for 30 rounders in either an AR15 or Mini-30 in 7.62x39, but 20 rounders are perfect. The 7.62x39 30s are too long and catch on things. I know from personal experience the ASC 20 round 7.62x39 AR15 mags functioned 100% with both Tulammo 8M3 124 HPs, and both Nosler 123 and Hornady 123 reloads.

In fact even on my 5,56 AR, I prefer 20s. Back when I used AR15s or Mini-14s as LEO patrol carbines, I almost always used 20s in the weapon.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 09-05-2018 at 22:31.
Old 09-12-2018, 16:06   #15

Ah the beauty of the AR platform. Toss a new upper on top and you have a new rifle. Black Magic
imarangemaster likes this.
Old 09-20-2018, 14:48   #16

My pair of ARs: My 7.62x39 on the bottom and my 5.56 on the top.. California "Featureless" legal, with pinned stock, Sparrow Dynamics non-pistol grip, and muzzle brakes.

Old 11-18-2020, 19:40   #17

Just read this thread.
Glad to see your 7.62x39 is running good.
I just ordered this BCA upper, so same company as your AR stoner.
Can't wait to get it, hope it does as well as yours.
Attached Thumbnails
Midway AR Stoner 7.62x39 AR15 kit sale!-319-rt_1.jpg