New AK47 Rear Sight - Shooting Sports Forum

AK Talk AK-47 and AK-74 talk. SKS talk has been moved!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cobrafreak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 06:22   #1

New AK47 Rear Sight

I finally figured out how to have a really good rear adjustable sight on my Saiga 7.62x39. I got a surplus HK G3 rear turret sight and a Texas Weapons Systems picatiny dust cover and grafted them together. Works with the stock front AK sight.

GrapeDrink likes this.
cobrafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:26   #2

Looks great. Neat idea. How long did it take to get it to work with the front sight? What tools are needed? Is the sight adjustable for windage & elevation?

TG
Old 06-22-2012, 10:08   #3

I got a surplus HK G3 rear turret sight and a Texas Weapons Systems picatiny dust cover and grafted them together. Works with the stock front AK sight. Basically, the Texas Weapon Systems billet machined dust cover with picitany rail is an awesome scope/electronic sight/iron sight platform. Very stable and returns to zero every time. Swings open like a hinge on the former front sight block without any tools. TWS offers a static peep sight that bolts to the rear of the rail , but it is non- adjustable. If you veer off you zeroed distance you must use " Kentucky Windqge". I got a surplus Hekler and Kosh G3 rear millitary turret sight. With markings from 100-400 meters on it. You just turn the tub and you have 3 peeps plus one open V sight I assume is for close quarters/low light/full auto sighting. To fit I needed to file off two of the rail guides and half of the last section. Took about an hour. Then I drilled and tapped a hole for the mounting/windage adjustment Allen screw. Fits nice and tight and sighting is fantastically easy now. Accuracy has gone up above 50% of what the rifle once was capable of. AK rifles are inaccurate due to really lousy sights. Now it is fixed.

Yes, it's adjustable for windage and elevation. You need an allen to adjust the windage however so you can lock it down after you move it, but an allen fits in the butt stock. It is almost the same height as the stock sight so it work right off the bat with the front sight after a re-zero. I had to screw up the front sight slightly, but it's within specs still. You need a course and fine file, a drill with bit and a tap to make the mounting hole.

Old 06-22-2012, 15:38   #4

Thanks for the tips. I used to have a TWS rail but got rid of it because of the rear sight not being adjustable, and I didn't want optics. Now I am kicking myself for selling it!

TG
Old 06-23-2012, 10:03   #5

Originally Posted by G8trfan View Post
Cobrafreak:

That is ingenious!! I drank the "Kalashni-cool-aid" and it is my favorite intermediate rifle platform, and I'm always looking for ways to make them more user friendly. Could you take a close-up broad side pic of the sight and one looking down top dead center, so I can better see the elevation of the filing work?

BTW is that a california Arsenal? I have a converted saiga, polish UF, Norinco Chicom akm, and most recently an Arsenal SLR 107f.

Thanks,
G8tr

This is a Saiga 7.62x39 conversion that I did myself. I live in CA so this is CA compliant and is "featureless" so I can drop magazines without a bullet button. The grip is a Monsterman brand. It is very comfortable. If I leave the State I may leave it on as I really like using the AK and my AR with the Monsterman grip. Especially when shooting prone. It's that good. As you can see from the photos the last two rail nubs are filed all the way off and the last section at the end is filed so it fits the slot in the sight. This slot is what the sight rides on for windage adjustment and it is what needs to be drilled and tapped to mount the sight to the rail. Windage adjustment is done by loosening the allen and moving the sight left or right, or you can just adjust windage with the front AK sight with the C-clamp AK windage tool. I usually just zero the rifle and windage initially on a windless day and leave it there after. Notice the offset of the mounting allen bolt? This is normal and the way it is supposed to be. The original HK sight mount had a provision for a screw windage adjustment on the right side of this sight in addition to the locking allen, but I'm not THAT talented, LOL. The Texas Weapons System rail works great for this mod because it is SO low. I think if you welded the HK sight to the stock dust cover it would be too high. Oh, the hole that is tapped is drilled all the way through the rail with the bolt stopping flush with the inside of the dust cover. There is a lot of aluminum for the bolt to grab on to. Use Loctite blue on the threads so the bolt doesn't back out on it's own. You will need to take a ball and spring detent stop from an old AR windage or elevation mechanism to work on this sight. It's the same part and interchangeable. The sight radius distance now is 21.5" long now. This number is why the rifle is so much more accurate now. Cheers.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:09   #6

You may want to protect this idea and then approach TWS with it for some extra income...

TG
Old 06-26-2012, 10:42   #7

This is an awesome idea! I was strongly considering the TWS Dog Leg, now I am just about sold on it.

Do you think you could co-witness a red dot with the G3 sight on that rail?
NJ2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 20:08   #8

Originally Posted by NJ2ATX View Post
This is an awesome idea! I was strongly considering the TWS Dog Leg, now I am just about sold on it.

Do you think you could co-witness a red dot with the G3 sight on that rail?
Co-witnessing is not a problem with my above set-up. My red-dot is kind of tallish and made for an AR rifle to co witness and it still can co-witness on the lower side of the optic. If you use an extra low mini red dot you will be near the center.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:11   #9

Really great idea, thanks for sharing.
davidjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:56   #10
(*.:.*)

Less precise than Texas Weapon Systems + H&K sight - although it can be fitted to be almost as precise with a little work* - but quite a bit cheaper.

AK Top cover with HK sight and rail [AK-A-19] - $75.00 : AK Parts kits, Superb Products

* - Works very well as a sight, but if you plan to mount an optic on the rail I'd go with the one from Texas Weapon Systems - unless you plan to use a very light mini red dot or reflex optic. YMMV.
cma g21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:40   #11
VDMA VIDEOS

Nice! Thanks for posting this.

I hate the stock rear sight on my WASR.

Check out my guns and shooting channel on YouTube:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Amsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:42   #12
VDMA VIDEOS

Can somebody explain something to me? I just checked out the AK Top Cover HK sight and read this:

The rail is attached to an AK top cover with two pems.

What are pems? And does this mean I need to do something more than just pop it on in place of my other cover.

Check out my guns and shooting channel on YouTube:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Amsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:51   #13
(*.:.*)

Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
...What are pems? ...
I think they mean these:

PennEngineering: PEM Fasteners

Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
...And does this mean I need to do something more than just pop it on in place of my other cover.
You should be able to just replace your current dust cover with one of these.

The tolerances on AK's being what they are, there are things you can do to tighten up the fit - if needed.

Again, I wouldn't use this - or any dust cover only mount - for any optic heavier than a mini red dot or small reflex optic. YMMV.

The Texas Weapons Systems - and similar mounts - that are also secured using the rear sight assembly, can likely handle heavier optics.
cma g21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 19:30   #14
Registered Member

Does someone have better pictures of this. I am trying to do the same thing
GrapeDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 16:00   #15

The best weapon, how I like it
COBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:44   #16

I really consider it's a perfect gun!
Legitimnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:43   #17

The best in the world!
AndersonJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:00   #18

Most widely used maybe but the "best?" Don't think so.
Jonjeo is offline   Reply With Quote