Saiga skeletonized stocks - Shooting Sports Forum

AK Talk AK-47 and AK-74 talk. SKS talk has been moved!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2007, 00:59   #1

Saiga skeletonized stocks

Gilbert's Guns on Gunbroker is selling RAA skeletonized Russian Iz. factory made stocks that they say fit all unaltered Saiga rifles or shotguns. If that is true, and I replaced my Saiga Russian sporter stock with a Saiga factory skeletonized stock, wouldn't that be perfectly OK with the BATF? The imported rifle would still be ALL imported Russian ,with all Russian parts,with no American parts in or on the gun.
uncle jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:28   #2

Originally Posted by uncle jerky View Post
Gilbert's Guns on Gunbroker is selling RAA skeletonized Russian Iz. factory made stocks that they say fit all unaltered Saiga rifles or shotguns. If that is true, and I replaced my Saiga Russian sporter stock with a Saiga factory skeletonized stock, wouldn't that be perfectly OK with the BATF? The imported rifle would still be ALL imported Russian ,with all Russian parts,with no American parts in or on the gun.
Nope, you would be adding an evil feature (pistol grip), rendering the rifle unimportable, and taking it out of 922r compliance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BlenderWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:56   #3

Being as how it is a skeletonized stock that just happens to contain an area for your hand, I don't believe you have to worry. I have seen some of the factory Saiga guns with the skeltonized stock as standard equipment. A seperate and free standing pistol grip is a completely different question.

Old 06-20-2007, 23:18   #4

Originally Posted by punchie View Post
Being as how it is a skeletonized stock that just happens to contain an area for your hand, I don't believe you have to worry. I have seen some of the factory Saiga guns with the skeltonized stock as standard equipment. A seperate and free standing pistol grip is a completely different question.

I've also seen Izmash/Saiga offer their Saigas with the skeletonized stocks in place and also as an option. I guess i could buy one of the skel stocks,install it,go to the range,get arrested and ponder the correct answer from jail? Or,I could call the BATF? With all respect to Blenderwizard and punchie,anyone else can offer up their opinion?
Old 07-03-2007, 14:18   #5

sorry, for the long wait to reply i've been away from home for few weeks. get the skeleton stock, it does not interfer with 922 problems, it is still russian, and isn't classified(yet) as an evil pistol grip. change to a stand alone pistol grip then its got to be 5 or 'merican parts in or on the gun. i was over in kentucky and visited gilberts, saw the stock, called the batf(who's bringing chips?), and it is not an evil item(yet). the stock is more user friendly than the nef type. ya just have to drill out the two top screw holes. it seems pretty sturdy and gives the gun a good feel, if thats a good term. just my 2 cents. happy saiga days!!!!

just for kicks, get from tapco (1) muzzle break,(1)30 rd mag, (1) tapco galil style galil handguard and these can make up your 5 golden parts for 922r compliance. the mag follower, guide and base count as one each! all for the price of approx. $75.00 plus shipping. just go tapco.com get to compliance parts and allm of these items are USA marked.

Last edited by logistics; 07-03-2007 at 14:59. Reason: additional info
logistics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 15:21   #6

Originally Posted by logistics View Post
sorry, for the long wait to reply i've been away from home for few weeks. get the skeleton stock, it does not interfer with 922 problems, it is still russian, and isn't classified(yet) as an evil pistol grip. change to a stand alone pistol grip then its got to be 5 or 'merican parts in or on the gun. i was over in kentucky and visited gilberts, saw the stock, called the batf(who's bringing chips?), and it is not an evil item(yet). the stock is more user friendly than the nef type. ya just have to drill out the two top screw holes. it seems pretty sturdy and gives the gun a good feel, if thats a good term. just my 2 cents. happy saiga days!!!!

just for kicks, get from tapco (1) muzzle break,(1)30 rd mag, (1) tapco galil style galil handguard and these can make up your 5 golden parts for 922r compliance. the mag follower, guide and base count as one each! all for the price of approx. $75.00 plus shipping. just go tapco.com get to compliance parts and allm of these items are USA marked.

Thank you all for your input. I ordered one today from Gilberts. Does Gilberts have a nice/impressive shop/operation there in Kentucky?
Old 07-04-2007, 21:54   #7

from what i saw it was real nice. didn't get a grand tour, had the batf question on my mind and on the cell to them quite a bit over this stock. sorry, not a good indepth report. really nice people to talk to though. bought my skel stock there, fits really good. good luck!
Old 07-17-2007, 17:20   #8

Installed the skeletonized factorty stock on the Saiga x39.Had to drill the top 2 screws holes & the stock then slid in and tightened down nicely. I agree, the skele stock gives the Saiga a much better,balanced,controllable handling feel to it now. I also think it lightened the weight some and shortened the LOA of the rifle, as well as adding to the value and resale appeal.
Old 08-30-2007, 19:19   #9

sorry for yhe delayed reaction time, just been busy and the lifestyle of beef farming talks up too much shootin' and practice shootin'. i also like the angle of the grip for a lefty or myself a rightie. still have time locating spent shells, that darned animal can sling them a good distance. had some gravel for project delivered and the driver wanted to see the saiga. he got all ordering info, and said he had a norinco sks but, it wasn't as nice nor as cheap. good shootin to ya!
Old 11-18-2007, 08:45   #10
rat

Hey there!
I've got three questions. In this discussion, from the beginning - it wasn't clear to me whether the Saiga(s) referred to were either rifles, shotguns, or both; so asking specifically...

1. Are the Saiga made skeleton buttstocks currently for sale from Gilbert's Guns legal to have on an otherwise unmodified Saiga 12 or Saiga 20 shotgun without further necessary modifications for 922 compliance?

2. In addition, what about changing the front handguard to an aftermarket lower front handguard (U.S. made) using a bracket from Dinzagarms. Could this also be done without adding compliance parts?

3. Lastly, are there any 922 compliance issues relating to modifying front & rear sights on Saiga shotguns?

Thanks in advance!
rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:54   #11

I'm no expert, but adding the buttstock is legal because they are imported and come on some saigas. Once you start adding any U.S. part like the handguard or sights you have to add the rest to become 922 compliant. Not 100% sure if shotguns fall under 922.
V-Max is offline   Reply With Quote