Solid optic mount for AK - Shooting Sports Forum

AK Talk AK-47 and AK-74 talk. SKS talk has been moved!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2019, 07:26   #1

Solid optic mount for AK

Does anyone use the scoutscope.com mount that attaches at the rear sight location? Or know of a better option for a red dot?

I went through alot of research back when i picked up an sks and i started with a Williams rear aperature sight with a kns front crosshair. Later I decided to get a red dot and it was a chore because most mounting options on the sks are not reliable (dust cover type) without drilling in the receiver which I didnít want to do. I settled with the scoutscope mount because it was mounted on a solid part of the gun and didnít require removal to disassemble the gun. Being the sks and ak are similar at the rear sight design, I thought about going this route again. Any opinions or experiences with the ss mount on the AK? Btw mine is an Arsenal sam7r.
SEHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 17:45   #2

Anyways, I decided against optics for those interested. Looking at a rear aperture sight now. Appears Krebs, although expensive relatively speaking, is highly regarded. Wish it had windage adjustments but I guess that will need to be done by the front post sight. Also plan to get a KNS variety set of front posts to see what the eye gravitates toward the most.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:03   #3

Although I'm talking to myself, for future searchers of the same topic that stumble over this thread, after much research on more AK oriented forums I’ve discovered the RS Regulate mounting system is rivaled but unsurpassed. After seeing how sturdy and repeatable the mount was, I decided to get one. Will be using the 30mm red dot upper mount with an Aimpoint pro.

Old 11-17-2019, 07:30   #4

Originally Posted by SEHunter View Post
Although I'm talking to myself, for future searchers of the same topic that stumble over this thread, after much research on more AK oriented forums Iíve discovered the RS Regulate mounting system is rivaled but unsurpassed. After seeing how sturdy and repeatable the mount was, I decided to get one. Will be using the 30mm red dot upper mount with an Aimpoint pro.
Agreed, RS Regulate or if you don't have a side mount then go Ultimak.
MOTOROLANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 20:55   #5

Originally Posted by SEHunter View Post
Does anyone use the scoutscope.com mount that attaches at the rear sight location? Or know of a better option for a red dot?

I went through alot of research back when i picked up an sks and i started with a Williams rear aperature sight with a kns front crosshair. Later I decided to get a red dot and it was a chore because most mounting options on the sks are not reliable (dust cover type) without drilling in the receiver which I didn’t want to do. I settled with the scoutscope mount because it was mounted on a solid part of the gun and didn’t require removal to disassemble the gun. Being the sks and ak are similar at the rear sight design, I thought about going this route again. Any opinions or experiences with the ss mount on the AK? Btw mine is an Arsenal sam7r.
I have a AK scout mount I am not using sold my ak47 I think it is from scoutscope.com If you are interested I can dig it out tomorrow I still have the box. I think I have two mounting plates so you quickly swap out scopes and red dots and with the optic removed there is a backup iron sight. Is this what you are looking for.
Old 11-24-2019, 14:13   #6

Originally Posted by 51colt View Post
I have a AK scout mount I am not using sold my ak47 I think it is from scoutscope.com If you are interested I can dig it out tomorrow I still have the box. I think I have two mounting plates so you quickly swap out scopes and red dots and with the optic removed there is a backup iron sight. Is this what you are looking for.
I think so, except I decided to go back with an optic after seeing the rs Regulate product. Its not cheap but besides that, its solid as a rock as far as side mount receivers go.

I did a ton of research for that mount as I mentioned above for an SKS which has the same rear sight system as the AK. According to my research and experience, thereís nothing more solid that still allows field stripping without removal of the optic than the scoutscopes.com scout mount. Of course its a scout mount and not everyone likes optics that far away from their eye but with a red dot or super light scout scope, i think its the best in the market, certainly for an SKS, but the AK also. Again a big part of my criteria is being able to disassemble the gun without removing the optic. For those that dont care about that, the ultimak rail is probably a better option with more real estate for mounting options.