My first AK is a Mini Draco pistol. Railed to the max. - Shooting Sports Forum

AK Talk AK-47 and AK-74 talk. SKS talk has been moved!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Machine
  • 1 Post By Machine
  • 1 Post By MOTOROLANUT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2015, 13:20   #1
Dump'n out 556!

My first AK is a Mini Draco pistol. Railed to the max.

I've had this build floating around in my head for a while and I finally put it together. I am very pleased with the result, especially on the budget.

Here the specs.

2014 mini-draco pistol, Front sight is cut off, factory A2 flash hider
Full size ATG M70 Ak Yugo Rail. Modified to clear rear of piston tube and sight block. Trimmed for even fit, and drilled to use the factory hotdog bun screw. Has no front sight, but Im working on something
TWS dogleg 2 rear cover, slightly trimmed at front for fit. Works very well and fits tight as a drum. Has no rear sight; working on that too. I'm trying to adapt a BUIS set to the gun.
$25 dollar red/green dot sight. Haven't shot it yet, so I cant attest to how it holds zero, but it feels solid and the reticule is crisp on all settings
Cheap Amazon grip, Magpul AFG and rail covers
Tapco 20rd Mag. Got a couple Magpul and Tapco 30rd mags too.

Total cost of project, less than $800

I would also like to ad a QD sling socket at the rear, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Have yet to shoot it, just got 1000rds of Tulammo from LuckyGunner. Going to take it out on Wed hopefully.

Attached Thumbnails
My first AK is a Mini Draco pistol. Railed to the max.-1.jpg   My first AK is a Mini Draco pistol. Railed to the max.-2.jpg   My first AK is a Mini Draco pistol. Railed to the max.-3.jpg   My first AK is a Mini Draco pistol. Railed to the max.-4.jpg   My first AK is a Mini Draco pistol. Railed to the max.-5.jpg  
Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 14:27   #2
Operation:Mindcrime

Very cool.

BTW: needs more pic rails

Theres a revolution calling you!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scorpion of Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:38   #3

I like it. For some reason, the 20-round magazine looks really good; even better than the 30-round. With the AFG, it is much more compact than others I have seen.

I want to eventually get a mount with a red/green dot sight on my AKMS that replaces the regular dust cover. Something that can co-witness with the irons.
Robin185 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2015, 10:02   #4
Operation:Mindcrime

The Bushnell TRS-25 is light, $90, very durable, small, has great battery life, and is really lite. Would go nicely on the baby dragon or whatever.

Theres a revolution calling you!

Scorpion of Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:25   #5

Man, that looks good! I love the look of the 20 round mags, they just seem to balance out the overall look. I'd love to have one of those with a Sig brace.
gunslinger71973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:46   #6
Dump'n out 556!

I have a couple of linked 30rd mags, looks pretty cool but is heavy as ****. This gun is legal for carry here is MN.

Im not a fan of the Sig brace. But I would consider a SBR on it with a Galil style folder eventually. A stubby vertical grip would also be nice. I'm also in the process of building a 10.5 AR, and a SBR is that things future also.
gunslinger71973 likes this.
Old 04-12-2015, 15:21   #7

Yeah, don't really like he Sig brace's looks, but it would make it a fun little gun! I bet it shoots a helluva fireball in low light.
gunslinger71973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 20:42   #8
Dump'n out 556!

Took it out to the Range. Ran like a champ. A few stove pipes and misfeeds in the first 50 or so rounds, then another 200 without issue. Except for the charging handle flying down range (needs some locktite), it ran like a champ.

AND! the 25$ Amazon Red/Green dot sight was almost spot on right out of the box and held zero even after a couple of mag dumps. A couple of clicks to the right and it was dead on. Definitely worth the money.

I also had an interesting idea, which would add even more rail. I want to add about 1in of Picatinny, vertically, to the rear of the receiver. I got the idea from the new SIG MPX and MCX. They have a vertical rail at the rear of the receiver to attach various stocks quickly. The MCX has a particullary cool folder; and in the meantime, I could use the rail to mount a QD socket for my sling.

Like this

Attached Thumbnails
My first AK is a Mini Draco pistol. Railed to the max.-rear-rail-idea-1-small-.jpg   My first AK is a Mini Draco pistol. Railed to the max.-rear-rail-idea-2-small-.jpg   My first AK is a Mini Draco pistol. Railed to the max.-rear-rail-idea-3.jpg  
Old 04-12-2015, 20:56   #9
Dump'n out 556!

Here's what I'm thinking for a QD socket to go over it.

American Defense MFG, LLC | Browse | Front Sling Mounts | Rail Mount QD Socket Black
Old 05-02-2015, 15:04   #10
Dump'n out 556!

Fitted a 1.5 in 3 slot aluminum rail on the back of the receiver. Has one bolt and epoxy holding it on. Also fitted a GEAR QD socket on it, a Daniel Defence QD socket on the left rail, and a $7 Amazon pistol laser on the right rail.

The slings work surprisingly well on both a single at the rear, or a two point. I am looking forward to shooting it with a sling. Maybe tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails
My first AK is a Mini Draco pistol. Railed to the max.-rear-rail-1.jpg   My first AK is a Mini Draco pistol. Railed to the max.-rear-rail-2.jpg   My first AK is a Mini Draco pistol. Railed to the max.-rear-rail-3.jpg   My first AK is a Mini Draco pistol. Railed to the max.-rear-rail-4.jpg  
Old 05-05-2015, 16:47   #11

Well done. Very nice. On the QD, I installed one on the side using a Mid-West industries MI-SPQD AK47 stock mounted QD. Midwest Industries

I just drilled and tapped the side of the receiver behind the trigger group and screwed it to the side. You could do the same thing on the rear as well.

Looks like you already have a solution, but that is how I did it.

BTW- The red dot won't last you too long. Look at Primary Arms Micro Red Dot sights.

And the charging handle that flew off, well, you probably continue to have problems with that piece. Good luck.
ScottsBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:18   #12
Registered Member

Hand guard?

Pleas post pics of inside of handguard to see what was removed to make this fit you Mini Draco looks amazing. Mirroring mine off you setup.
tatahed69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:57   #13

Sweet Draco congrats
silvermane_1 likes this.
MOTOROLANUT is offline   Reply With Quote