Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying some factory 30 rd mags for my mini 14. The reviews I have read are mixed yet the 20 rd mag reviews are all great. I have 5 20 rd mags and they all work great. Are the 20rd mags more reliable than the 30 rd mags ?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have no had a problem with my 30rd mags. I have also not heard anything bad about the factory mags. I do use my 20's more because that is what comes in a box and I don't fill them up more then 10 anyways at the range because of my problem of shooting to much if I do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reading 30 rd mag reviews on midway is why I asked the question. People are saying they get a loose fit with the 30 rd mags. The reviews only get 3 stars vs the 20 rd getting 5 stars.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have some 20's and also some 30's and I think that the 20's are easier to lock in. The 30's need a bit more "wiggle" and yes they seem loose. They all do work flawlessly. I was content with my 20's but my son bought some 30's as xmas gifts for me. I will probably use the 20's since the ammo comes 20/box like others here have said, but I do keep 2 of the 30's filled. Now if I could replace the ammo.........

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think there to big heavy and get in the way more than anything. The 20 round mags in my opinion are much better,and can be carried in just about any pocket. The rifle can be carried much easier with a smaller mag in it.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
All 38 of my factory 30's run flawlessly.
'Dang you got me beat on numbers!

Anyway, back in the old days I had 7x of the Ruger factory white box 30's and a couple of 20's. All worked well. Since I got back into it, I went with the Promag 30's and they have worked well overall too. Only problem there is that they don't always lock the bolt open on empty.

If you have the $$ buy the Ruger factory 30's you can't go wrong in my book.

Best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
169 Posts
Out of all my 30rders only 2 are factory so my experience may be a bit limited. I haven't had any type of Failure to Function with either but I will agree that they are a bit looser in the magwell than my Factory 20 and MUCH looser side-to-side than any of my 16 PMI 30s. I have noticed my Factory 30s have a very similar profile to my Triple K 40s in that respect, but surprisingly the TK 40s lock in more solidly front-to-back; no rocking at all unlike my Factory and PMI Mags. *186-Series Blued Mini-14 in Ruger Factory Folder*

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 26x Factory 30rd mags work flawlessly
My 14x Factory 20rd mags work flawlessly
My 8x Promag 20rd mags work flawlessly

My 2x Eagle 30rd mags SUCK

All tested running full auto through an AC-556

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
The 20's seem perfect. I have had an issue with the 30's being loose in the mag well and the bolt overriding the follower when empty instead of staying open. I would agree with the 20's getting a rating of 5 and the 30's a 3 (out of five). Also the comments about the 20's being better at the range is right on, the 10's being even better in that situation.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So as said, 20 is about the best mag size for the gun, but I still think it's nice to have a couple of 30s just for the sake of it. I like the factory mags even for the price they are just nice operating and looking. Good luck getting any though I still have a 3 month back order with Midway for some of both.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.