Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in what kind of mods you have completed on your Mini. I have a Syn/ss 14 with about 1K rounds thru it. I have gapped the gas block and dremel polished the chamber mouth. I use PMI 30rd mags with good success. Muzzle brake is presently on order from Cheaperthandirt. Mine shoots about 3-4in at 100yds until it gets very hot. 2in at 50yds. I have owned AR15s over the years but prefer the Mini as IMO it is an improved M1 Carbine. Glad to find this forum as you can see I enjoy discussing the Mini.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've got a blued Mini-14 Ranch in a Butler Creek pistol grip stock with a double muzzle break, a Weigand Combat scope rail, and a Russian Kobra red dot sight ( it's currently used by the Russian special forces). I've got a bunch of no name 30rndrs that all feed flawlesly along with a few Ram-Line AR/ Mini-14 30rndrs that all work great also. I also have the Buffer Tech recoil reducer. Between the recoil reducer and the muzzle break my Mini has about as muckh recoil as a .22. She shoots 1" groups at 50yrds using Wolf 55grn fmj.:usa:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a blue ranch 14 with a laminated stock, bl/gry, a heavy 22" lothar walther barrel and trigger job by ARS, and a 4x12 leupold with target turrets

The other one is a ranch 30 with a 20" lothar walther barrel chambered in 6mmPPC, and a adjustable trigger by ARS, with a thumbhole camo laminate by wenig, and a 4x12 burris compact target scope

accuracy: the 14 will shoot about all 55 gr. factory loads into sub 1" with ones it likes going into around half that. the PPC will shoot a little better with the good stuff but its a reload proposition only
RR
:cannon: :rapid:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Bushwhack:

I bought it several years ago from Fed Ordnance (long gone), but I think someone else makes them now. Choate maybe?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bushwack, whats that rod under the barrel? Did you cut your barrel down yourself? If so what tool did you use; band saw,porta-band? :confused:

·
Registered
181 Posts
The rod under the barrel is the mount for the VersaPod bipod that I interchangeably use on my rifles. I had my Gunsmith cut the barrel to 15" and weld on the muzzle brake...:usa:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Codger, thanks for the info. Your gunsmith does some nice work. Did he TIG or MIG weld the muzzle break on? Have you noticed a change in accuracy since you cut the barrel? Sorry for all the questions, I am a certified structural welder (arc welding) and I do alot of TIG welding as part of my job. I am starting to get an itch to get into gunsmithing.:usa:

·
Registered
181 Posts
MM740:

I really don't know how he "welded" the muzzle brake, but his past work has never had problems. As far as accuracy goes, I haven't shot it yet - I'm waiting for the Armson OEG I ordered to arrive so I can zero both during the same trip to the range.:usa:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a standard, stainless mini-14 with a synthetic stock. With South African ammo, I normally shoot about 4" groups at 100 yards. I changed two things and now group 1-2" at 100 yards.

1. The muzzlebrake shrunk my groups in half. Just tried it today. Worth the money.

http://www.johnmasen.com/Merchant2/merchan...tegory_Code=RMA

2. The AO sights are much better iron sights

http://www.johnmasen.com/Merchant2/merchan...tegory_Code=RMA

$50 for a better rear apperture and thinner front sight. I was amazed how much of a difference the sights make. The factory sight is a joke.

It sure is a fun gun to shoot.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just mounted an Armson OEG on it, and it sure is a handy little tool. Still have to get around to sighting it in. I'll try to post an updated photo when I have a chance...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Originally posted by Grinch
Damn that is a cool mini. Where did you get that winged front sight?
It's the standard Choate flash hider/"muzzle brake" that I modified with a "real" muzzle brake for Kalifornia-legality.

-John

·
Registered
181 Posts
Bought at a local Gun Show last month. I believe it's made by Eagle Industries (?). Have another one on my heavy-barreled mini, they're really convenient and have a suede cheekpiece on the other side. Cost about $20. Both had cartidge loops on the outside of the pouch - which I removed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dude, that is the best mini-14 I have seen yet. What is the length of the barrel? I like keeping my weapons stock for value purposes, but damn, that is sweet! I am starting to itch really bad....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Don:

I told my gunsmith to cut the barrel to 16" and permanently attach the muzzle brake. When I got home I discovered the OAL of the barrel w/brake is 16". So I guess the barrel is about 15", but it looks so good I'm glad it turned out the way it did...

If I want velocity I'll shoot my other mini with a 20" barrel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you for the information.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts