Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
based on your reload experience what is your primer of choice, standard - not magnum.
any brand is hard to find nowadays - a sure sign of price gouging - as Potterfield at Midway.
I haven't been to a gun show in 10 years maybe, I'm wondering if pistol primers - or for that matter rifle as well - are showing up on seller's tables?
seems years back I saw a video of primer flash tests done that showed Remington having a larger flash - anyone recall seeing such?
hoping to find SP to load +P ammo for my 2 9s, S&W 5904 and Marlin Camp gun for practice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
based on your reload experience what is your primer of choice, standard - not magnum.
any brand is hard to find nowadays - a sure sign of price gouging - as Potterfield at Midway.
I haven't been to a gun show in 10 years maybe, I'm wondering if pistol primers - or for that matter rifle as well - are showing up on seller's tables?
seems years back I saw a video of primer flash tests done that showed Remington having a larger flash - anyone recall seeing such?
hoping to find SP to load +P ammo for my 2 9s, S&W 5904 and Marlin Camp gun for practice.
I have bought federal, winchester, remington, cci, etc and I usually buy standard and I have had no issues with any of these primers...

I do not shoot match so I have no idea about the intricacies of this primer over that primer...at this point it is almost a mute point since primers are about as common as unicorn hoofs now.

·
Registered
8,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I traded some LP primers and some .45 bullets for 3 trays of Federal SP which are new to me, have in mind to load some 9mm +P loads using power pistol powder - the equivalent of unique - to shoot in my carbine. don't own a chrono but would be interested in knowing the fps.
loaded cci primers previously and the slugs sure come out with a 'crack' so moving fast.
maybe this thread will elicit response from experienced pistol loaders - 38, .357, .380, 9mm et al.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I traded some LP primers and some .45 bullets for 3 trays of Federal SP which are new to me, have in mind to load some 9mm +P loads using power pistol powder - the equivalent of unique - to shoot in my carbine. don't own a chrono but would be interested in knowing the fps.
loaded cci primers previously and the slugs sure come out with a 'crack' so moving fast.
maybe this thread will elicit response from experienced pistol loaders - 38, .357, .380, 9mm et al.
The best I recall, Unique is a pretty fast powder.

Check your loading data for the correct powder to get you the velocity target you seek. I would think you would want a slightly slower powder for the 9mm in a rifle.

I think powder would play a bigger factor than the primer...

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
620 Posts
I have had much better results with FEDERAL Primers . The greater percentage of reliable ignition is the most noticeable with Federal. Most of my pistols have trigger enhancements.
More consistent ignition is a big deal.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I’ve used more of the CCIs in the dark blue box than any other over 45 years of reloading. Started with silver Winchester primers but when they switched to the bronze finished primers I remember that I had problems so I switched to cci. But nowadays you reload with whatever you can find if you unfortunately run out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts