Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I'm one of the new kids on the block with a 182-series vanilla Mini-14. I bought it new back in the distant past, later traded it off to a relative and like a bad penny it came back a few months ago. Aside from the addition of an early-model Choate front sight / muzzle brake combo it was pretty much as I remembered it.

My initial intent was to replace the rear sights with the Tech-Sights RR200. Pretty easy job if you've got three hands.

Not a bad looking unit - head and shoulders above the original. Next up was going to be shortening the barrel, crowning and lapping the muzzle and then re-installing the Choate muzzle brake. Then the SHTF up in Connecticut.

Given the latest round of "ugly gun" hysteria I concluded that I ought to hold off on re-installing the Choate unit. Looking around for an alternative M14-style front sight I couldn't find a simple mount without a flash supressor or muzzle brake that works with the early Mini's pencil-thin barrel. Fellow member Brobee was making a repro GB-style mount a few years back but that unit was for the larger diameter barrels plus it had an "evil" bayonet lug. Nothing to do but carve one out of mild steel on my own based upon Brobee's efforts and detailed posts.

Since I'm a self-taught hobbyist the process took way longer than it would take an experienced machinist but I'm pretty happy with the results. Here it is in the white slipped onto the barrel but not yet attached....

And from the front.... The sight is an M1A National Match unit from Brownells. The blade may need to be shortened but I won't know by how much until I get to the range.

While I was at it I shortened the barrel to 16.5", crowning and lapping it while I had it chucked in the lathe. I'll post a final picture once I permanently fix the mount to the barrel and clean up the bluing. I wouldn't have dared to attempt any of this, by the way, were it not for the wealth of information that all of you have shared so freely. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Looks awesome.I am just about finished doing something very similar. Got to love the sight options and windage adjustment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mini5277 - Saw your post, very nice. I thought about threading the end of my barrel for a Smith Enterprises muzzle brake but given my luck in predicting the future I didn't want to risk having even one potentially troublesome feature.

·
Registered
157 Posts
you could always have it permanently attached. It's not a flash hider,but doubt there will be any new legislation that would affect cosmetic appearances.I guess it depends on where you live nowadays.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
That's awesome. You could make some dough with that.
I would love to have a thinner sight on my 30 tact, especially one that can be switched out with a tritium.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's awesome. You could make some dough with that.
I would love to have a thinner sight on my 30 tact, especially one that can be switched out with a tritium.
Thanks, but I'm not ready to jump into the trade. Doing them one at a time the way that I did would net me about $.50 per hour. It would be sweet, however, to see someone that's already in the business pick this up and run with it as an addition to their existing product line.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Thanks, but I'm not ready to jump into the trade. Doing them one at a time the way that I did would net me about $.50 per hour. It would be sweet, however, to see someone that's already in the business pick this up and run with it as an addition to their existing product line.
For at least the last 3 years, XS has been threatening to make an M14/M1A style front sight for Mini-14s. Every time I call them (I check in about once a year) they're "almost ready."

I give up. :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finished Product

Here's a picture of the finished product. I stuck the front sight into place with Loctite 620. After the Loctite set I drilled through the dimple and pinned the sight with a 3/32 roll pin. It appears to be pretty solid.

Not the best picture but you get the idea - Plain Jane except for the Ultimak mount and the shorter barrel. Pretty innocuous, which is the point of the whole drill. With a little luck I may make it to the range next week to see if the shorter barrel and the Ultimak have improved what I remember as pie-pan sized groups at 100 yards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.