Perfect Union banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Century gets alot of bad press. I have a Yugo folder and it has been 100%. I understand Century will stand behind their guns not like the high priced Lancaster or POS IO

·
Registered
99 Posts
sry .. took me a bit to get back to you .. .thats my baby ... its accurate as **** with good ammo I can make a quarter sized hole in a target at 75 yrds with 10 rounds ... I am bringing my camera to the range soon and will get a video posted of the saiga in action ... can pretty much hit the paper at 200-250 yrds every time ..

I had a good time building it too ;)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
sry .. took me a bit to get back to you .. .thats my baby ... its accurate as **** with good ammo I can make a quarter sized hole in a target at 75 yrds with 10 rounds ... I am bringing my camera to the range soon and will get a video posted of the saiga in action ... can pretty much hit the paper at 200-250 yrds every time ..

I had a good time building it too ;)
That's great! ;)

Yeah, I still say the Saiga line of rifles are probably the most underrated firearms out there. And, once the conversion has been done, you essentially wind-up with a brand new Russian-made AK-style rifle...and in your choice of calibers too.

Simply put, the Saiga .223 is an excellent choice for a "go-to" rifle in many different situations. And, it's fantastic that it shares the same cartridge as many other common firearms, such as the AR-15, Mini-14, and others.

Truth be told, if I had to grab a rifle in a SHTF situation, it would be a toss-up between my converted Saiga .223 and any other rifle I own.

Looking forward to seeing the pics from your range trip. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
You could buy many diffrent rifles than a century build. Like an FEG, TGI, or Saiga.

Which cost about the same and are properly made from new machined parts. Or you could go with the parts bin gun. Which is a mix of diffrent parts from diffrent places and that are not fitted properly.

My vote would be no.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I would only buy it if you can shoot it first.

I don't understand why WASR's have gone up in price so much, they are only a couple bills short of a NIB Arsenal... It's nonsense.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have CIA Romanian ak 47 for 9 years now and I love it guess I'm lucky
I'm not saying they are bad shooters. But if I'm going to shell out the cash I'd much rather have a brand new AK. Not a parts bin gun.

The build quality on other AK's out there are far better than the Century guns I've seen and shot.

But it is what it is. An AK.

The draco pistols from (imported by) Century are great lil guns. But then again, They aren't built by them either.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a pair of Saiga 7.62's that I converted myself...and a WASR 10/63. They all shoot fine, never a failure with any of them. And with bullet guides installed in the Saigas, they take old/new AK mags without a hitch. The WASR on the other hand, doesn't like Saiga mags at all.

The WASR though, is a great gun. It's straight, the wood on the forearm (it's a folder) is not plywood but is actual good stuff, and overall, I give it equal place to the Saigas.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I haven't spent much time around AKs just a brief exposure to a freind's Saiga 12 gauge. So here is my (probably dumb) question. How come everyone talks about converting the Saiga? In the ads, it looks like a perfectly serviceable rifle as imported.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think the Saiga is perfectly serviceable right out of the box....but there are areas where improvement can be an advantage.

Trigger: The Saiga is built for US importation, and has been altered. The trigger has been moved back, away from the magazine well, and is activated by a relay bar system. That adds roughness and some inevitable slop. Conversion puts a great trigger into the system. The improvement is immediately obvious.

Stock: The Saiga stock is a lightweight, plastic stock, and feels substandard. It is strong, but in the final analysis, it demeans the gun overall. In my opinion of course. There are many stocks and stock designs available, and conversion allows (more or less requires) one to go to a pistol grip design. This also allows one to shorten the gun, making it more readily concealable (folding stock, underfolder, etc.), or at any rate, taking up less space if need be.

Magazines: Import rules dictate that the Saiga NOT be able to take and use standard AK47 mags. To this end, they've altered the magwell. Conversion, by adding a bullet guide (not a major job by any means) will enable the Saiga to take those AK mags, which are cheaper to buy, and more readily available. On the other hand, I've used JB Weld to build up the lip on plastic TAPCO and SGM AK 47 magazines to work in the Saiga without the bullet guide. However, having converted my Saiga 7.62's, I have the option of using my built up plastic mags, and/or my much more common steel AK47 mags.

One might look upon the Saiga as a starting point, or platform, on which almost any version and design of AK47 can be built. Saigas being more common all the time, aftermarket parts and improvements for the Saiga are available from numerous outlets.

Thinking then about the Saiga, one might think a good business might be built, whereby one buys, converts, and then sells them. And that would be a good idea, for fact is, there are lots of businesses doing just that. I believe Century is one such business, although they're buying their guns from Romanian sources, and not from Russia, which is where the Saigas are made.

·
Semper Fi
3 Posts
Vote for a yes here. I have bought 3 with no defects what-so-ever. 2 Draco's and a PSL. The PSL was down right gorgeous. I did notice on all the guns I bought that the bolt carrier was a little tight to rack but once I shot a few rounds through it is loosened up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had two now have three,just bought an underfolder. Have had several friends shoot them and hunt hogs with them,now they are getting their own.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a century Wasr 10/63 that I have had horrible luck with. I few months back I picked up an AK 74 from a friend of mine and I am much more pleased with that. The ammo price for 5.45x39 cannot be beat. I thought about sending the wasr back to the factore because I am having some major magazine wobble problems. I tried a whole bunch of different mags, but I am just not satisfied. Instead of going through the hassle of sending the gun back, I am going to sell it back to the shop (at a loss) and buy some ammo for my other calibers. It also allows me to eliminate 7.62x39 from my ammo stash, which works out good because I am trying to somewhat consolidate my calibers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i have a WASR GP 10/63 from Century, its a great gun! mine has a triangle with arrow inside it on the trunnion, they are one of the best WASR's ever built.

mine is said to come form military parts which is better quality, i checked my WASR for any defective parts i found none. My Bolt ,Reciever and gas tube has matching numbers. :ph34r:
Mine has the same markings.

I went to 4 different gun shops before I found one I liked.

This is a great review on the WASR.

Firearm Review: Romanian AK-47 Variant, the WASR-10 - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

·
Sniper 173D Abn Brigade
101 Posts
Buying from any manufacturer is a gamble. Just look over the rifle or gun you intend to buy. If the sights are canted, workmanship rough and so on then do not buy it. If, however, you like the rifle and its structure looks good and solid then buy it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am a new poster here, but not new to CAI. I have both a WASR-10 and AK74 that I have been really happy with. It's possible I also just got lucky, but both guns work well. The 74 has been an absolute blast to shoot and a bargain, considering the low cost of not only the gun, but the ammo and mags as well.

a few pics..

·
Registered
285 Posts
I haven't spent much time around AKs just a brief exposure to a freind's Saiga 12 gauge. So here is my (probably dumb) question. How come everyone talks about converting the Saiga? In the ads, it looks like a perfectly serviceable rifle as imported.
For the price Saiga's are very decent guns right out of the box. Some people just like to tinker, no matter whether it's an AK, AR, Mini, or any other rifle. I had a Century WASR 10/63 and Tantal, "had" is the key word. However, I have kept my Saiga rifles. I have purchased Saigas for about the same price or not much more than the WASR 10/63 and in my opinion the Saigas, while not perfect, are twice the rifle in my limited experience.

I got lucky with the sights on my WASR, they were not canted and it was actually a decent shooter, however it was just a rough, loose, sloppy rifle. In other words it felt like a parts rifle. The Tantal was nice and tight like a Saiga, not a single problem with keyholing, but it had a canted sight which wasn't obivious or discovered until I tried to get my shots on paper with it. It was still two inches off center on paper when I ran out of windage adjustment. I guess I could have fixed the canted sight but I didnt care much for the underfolder stock myself so it went away as well. While I have seen some good Century builds, it just seems like more of a gamble with the Century builds as to whether you get a good build or a half-baked build.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts