Perfect Union banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Century seems to get lots of negative press. I personally would avoid it, especially given the high prices today. Back in the late 90's i picked up a norinco mak-90 with the thumbhole stock for less than 300 dollars, which is really what an ak should cost. i just got an izhmash, which i honestly dont know much about at this point, for 400. Anything over 500-600 dollars with very high potential to suck would probably have been a bad decision. What did you drop on the mini?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I payed $500 before tax. It kind of hurt to pay that much but I was looking at the prices of other used Minis that were going a lot higher for worse condition, at other gun shops and even gun broker. I look back to 2006 when i was thinking about picking up a new model at the time for $500. I felt that I couldn't justify paying that much then, I laugh at myself now, while trying kick my own rear. But really what hooked me was the condition of the stock and receiver for a vintage rifle. I just couldn't walk away and not take it home. I did come across another 196 model that was as good to almost new condition for $550. But I want something that I can scope without mounting it to the side of the receiver.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't follow the pro's and con's of the AK world. Seems like everyone and their brother makes one or builds one. I was surprised to see here that the Century imported/built one had such a bad reputation. From pictures it would appear that the Yugoslavian M70AB with wood furniture is a beauty. I assume that Century imports parts and builds theses rather than these being ALL Yugo built?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Correct. The barrels are by Green Mountain and the receivers by a company in Minnesota, IIRC. Also, a couple years ago the wood furniture sources dried up, so they switched to the black polymer, which I also believe is American made. The triggers are by Tapco.

I've heard rumors (but no confirmation) that Century doesn't even build these, but that some other outfit does and Century just brands and distributes them. But these are only rumors, probably because the quality of the Yugo's is much more consistent than most Century builds.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i have a WASR GP 10/63 from Century, its a great gun! mine has a triangle with arrow inside it on the trunnion, they are one of the best WASR's ever built.

mine is said to come form military parts which is better quality, i checked my WASR for any defective parts i found none. My Bolt ,Reciever and gas tube has matching numbers. :ph34r:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I got pretty lucky with my Century. I got it 6 months before the election. I grabbed up quite a few firearms at the time. It is a Yugo underfolder. Accuracy is really good for an AK.

Looks exactly the same as the Classic pictured above.

·
Registered
34 Posts
century

I have an older cetme, a sterling, yugo m72 and 2 vz-58's, they all are perfect function wise. One of the vz's has kinda crappy finish, like they ran out of the stuff they normally use and painted it black on the sight block. As far as shooting wise and function no complaints at all, the sterling is dead nuts accurate, shoots 2-3" groups rapid fire at 25 yards and under 4 moa at 100 slow fire all 10 shot groups. the cetme is great as long as you dont feed it that steel cased crap which breaks the extractor spring. vz-58 run without a hiccup and are darn accurate enough for what I bought them for. The m72 hasn't had that many rounds through it yet but digested everything I fed it fine and shoots better then I expected groups 3-5" at 100

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a century Yugo underfolder. Bought it from AIM surplus. $505 total with shipping and transfer, came with 2 30 rounders, bayonet, and grenade launcher. Front sight is canted a little bit but function wise so far over 500(only had it about 3 months) rounds of which close to 200 have been bump fired and not a hitch yet.

Century will fix anything that is wrong with it but I'll do it myself as I don't want to be without my "Letti" for a couple of weeks. Plus I plan on adding the quad rail handguards and a burris fast fire so the sight issue is moot to me anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have a WASR GP 10/63 from Century, its a great gun! mine has a triangle with arrow inside it on the trunnion, they are one of the best WASR's ever built.

mine is said to come form military parts which is better quality, i checked my WASR for any defective parts i found none. My Bolt ,Reciever and gas tube has matching numbers. :ph34r:
Mine carries the same markings as yours and I have been told the same story, demilled military rifles and they (century)made a special effort during the release of these guns to address ALL of the issues. They need to buy more sandpaper and move the blind guy off the "quality control" line;).BUT I would buy self inspected Century Arms product without hesitation......

AND since nobody will tell me what "WASR" stands for or means:angry:

I have to assume it means:
W=we
A=are using up all the
S= sandpaper, cuz there aint no toilet paper in the
R=restroom:D

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I think that some of the Century WASRs had the problem with the gas tube being misaligned but other than that... they are great guns ... although my saiga .223 is much more accurate... I love my 10/63

WASR, SAIGA, 10/22
Impartial,

I'm really diggin' that Saiga .223 rifle of yours!

Can you provide some specs and/or range report on just that bad-boy? Also, what magazine are you using for it?

Nice job! :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have two, standard minor problems with the first one,fixed in an hour. They feed everything,go bang everytime ,hit center mass at 100yd . What's not to like.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts