Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a question for everyone. :) I have the chance to pick up a Century Arms Synthetic stock AK-47. Now, I know that they have the grand title of :beer:"Drunken Monkies":beer: but I want to know if I should drop 1/2 K :blink:eek:n an AK? Should I go for it or just walk away? I already own a MAK but I want something to Mod and just shoot. You can rave, vent or even b**ch. I just want peoples thoughts. I personally feel that the prices is a little high but considering the political/run on the market, its not a surprise.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Everyone will tell you that Century quality is hit or miss and it's usually a miss. With that in mind, I have gotten lucky with the two Century's that I have/had and both function well and are accurate enough for yours truely. I have a Centrury SAR-3 AK and recently sold a Century CETME. I was happy with both but have heard enough horror stories that if I was not able to personally examine the actual firearm I was buying, I'd steer clear before buying another one from them.

Just my .02 worth

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2 of the Yugo Century AK's, one folding one fixed. Both were done right, but I got to hand pick the one's I wanted-it helps to be good friends with the dealer, he even cleaned them up. I agree tho, unless you can inspect the rifle, steer clear.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I know my aes-10b rpk was a good one despite a little bit of metal shavings left here and there but like evryone else said long as you can look it over for canted gas sight blocks and the rest of the ak checklist youl be fine.

G

·
I got a century wasr-10 a year ago and i've got no complaints. I think I will put syth furniture on it though. The sights are kind of rough, but its an ak.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
What type of AK is it?

If it's synthetic stock, my guess is it's a Yugo (M70AB). At that price, it's a steal! They were in the $500 range two years ago, and now are in the $1,000 range; because, as I understand, they're no longer being made (the parts either ran out or were prevented from further import . . . but I'm not sure).

Century did get it right with this model. New, American-made (by Green Mountain) barrels, Tapco trigger assemblies, and built like tanks. Two caveats:
1. the new barrels are not chromed. That said, unless you shoot corrosive ammo, this shouldn't be a problem . . . the Mini's barrel isn't chromed, either.
2. Yugo's are a bit different, so that some parts aren't interchangeable with the standard AK models (IIRC, the foregrips, the gas tube, and maybe others).

If it's a WASR, it's like what was said above: hit or miss. However, even a monkied-up one tends to be fixable with a little elbow grease, but that assumes a good barrel (and there's no way to tell unless you can inspect it).

·
Registered
39 Posts
got a Century Romanian WASR 10/63. Chrome lined barrel, Tapco trigger, pretty nice gun and shoots well also has plain old wood stock

·
Registered
34,512 Posts
What type of AK is it?

If it's synthetic stock, my guess is it's a Yugo (M70AB). At that price, it's a steal! They were in the $500 range two years ago, and now are in the $1,000 range
Classic has them right now at $700, but that's sight-unseen.

Many current Century AKs with synthetic stock are the GP1975, which classic also has at the moment ($600)

Being able to obtain any of these in person definitely has its advantages though ...

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Thanks, Free! Do you know when these showed up?

I hadn't seen Yugo's on Classic (or anywhere else) for so long, I'd stopped looking. I'm not in the market anymore, but have been curious about whether they're still available (the prices I'd seen on the on-line classifieds were all around $1000, and no regular sellers had had them). Nice to see new stock coming into the market.

Sight-unseen is always risky, but with newly (and American!) made barrels (and new receivers on those 1975 GP's), the risk is minimized, especially with AK's.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I passed them up. I was able to look at them all and each one had some kind of problem/issue. I could not justify buying one, plus I already own a MAK90 that works like a charm. I did though pick up a used Mini14 181 series with wooden hand guard. It just arrived in the store and the condition was very impressive, I would give it a A+ with very little wear and less bolt wear then my new Tactical Mini after 300 rounds. I will post some picks a little later after I give my finals and do the grading.

·
Registered
64 Posts
gp75's are garbage
How so?

Mine has been nothing but great, no malfunctions, front sight and gas block are not canted, and it shoots great. The only thing I didn't care for was the furniture but that has been replaced, I got it back in october from a local dealer for $435 which seems like a fair price.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hell, if I saw it for $435 I would have taken it home. I just came across a Romanian with the the same front end furniture as Boonies rifle but it had OD green Tapco butt stock, OD vertical front grip and a Bird cage flash hider. It also had the import scribble all over the receiver. The Dealer was selling it used for $699. Deal or no Deal? The stock looked a little worn but other then that looked fine. No play and only came with one Chines 30rd mag.

Pass or buy? I personally am leaning away because I have the AR/Mini fever. :p

·
Registered
34,512 Posts
I'm going to suggest 'pass,' because I think the market for AKs has plateaued. Personally, if I wanted an AK right now, I'd buy this WASR 10/63 from AIM for $499. Of course that includes shipping and FFL transfer, but the WASR 10/63s get pretty good reviews.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Romanian_GP-WASR_10_63_7.62x39_Rifle.html

Obviously I wouldn't rely on the mags that come with those.

Beginning last year, WASR 10/63s sold "new," e.g. from AIM, tend to be assembled from de-milled "G" Civil Guard rifles. They do use the dimple-less Century receiver, which though not as good as Nodak Spud, are perfectly functional. Same with the barrel, which will be chromed. Green Mountain barrels are very good but aren't chromed. These demilled military 10/63s can be identified by the triangle with or without arrow on the front trunion.

Most reviewers I've read really like their 10/63s.

·
Registered
34,512 Posts
I did though pick up a used Mini14 181 series with wooden hand guard. It just arrived in the store and the condition was very impressive, I would give it a A+ with very little wear and less bolt wear then my new Tactical Mini after 300 rounds.
Nice find! I suppose the synthetic hand guards might be slightly better for dissipating heat but the difference is probably negligible. Even so, the wood just looks better. Trade out the plastic buttplate and voila, an all-wood-and-steel no-plastic-to-be-found Mini. No reason to do so, but I've seen metal buttplates available online. Anyway, it's great to get one of those early models in such good condition.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am very happy in finding 181 mini. It has very little wear on the barrel. Looks like the previous owner had a muzzle break and even a strut. The wear is very minimal and I had to look very closely to see the line marks. The receiver is very clean as well. The wood has some little dings on the butt stock and one little scope ring mark on the hand guard. It looks like scoped rifle might have fallen against it in the safe. Other then that it is mint. It came with a 4x20 Scope, but I have not shot it yet to see if it stays on zero. I do want to put a Accu-Strut and a muzzle break to give it the M14 look. I will try to take some photos soon.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts