Perfect Union banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
I've been giving some thought to installing a set of the XS Sighting Systems "Big Dot" sights on a Springfield xd45. Has anyone had ANY experience (good/bad) with these sights? Thanks in advance for your imput!
Cheers, Stevo

·
Draw, Varmint!
778 Posts
Are you still thinking? (Probably not, huh, but somebody else might like to know.)

The, 'Big Dot' sight is strictly a close range sight. Used inside 10 - 12 yards it'll help you to pick up the target quickly; but, you're still going to have trouble placing your shots with precision. IMO, Trijicon, AmeriGlo, or even Tru-Glo, 'TFO' sights are better ways to go

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had my second cataract surgery last Dec. They f--ked it up. (I now have double vision.) Hope that some new specs. will help-only time will tell. Am now thinking ALOT more about the XS Big Dot sights for my edc gun and a Trijicon RMR on my field gun (both are XD45s-a 4" compact and a 5" tactical). So I am still wondering if anyone has tried any of these items yet and, if so, how did they work out? Thanks for your imput.
Cheers, Stevo

·
Registered
75 Posts
I installed them on my Kimber Ultra Carry II. Like stated they are geared for quick sight alignment at closer ranges. I think with practice you could become somewhat more accurate with it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Shot a set of these sights on a 9mm something or other gun at the range a month or so back. The owner was pretty proud of them until he couldn't hit what he was aiming at. They LOOK awesome. They perform meh.

Apparently the gunsmith that put them on had a hard time lining them up when installed as well, they were 3" right @ 5yds when we shot it braced on the bench. The things were that bad that we resorted to it just to figure out what the deal was. We drifted them over and finally got it hitting within 10" @ 15yds with a little regularity but nothing ever solid.

I have been looking at the Advantage Tactical set as an alternative. I'm hoping somebody shows up at the range with them installed before I spend the money :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
It took me about 2 magazines before I had it figured out. If I where to purchase them now I would opt for the smaller size front sight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have them on Two pistols. The first set was bought two or three years ago and after first range trip quickly removed...

A friend talked me into re installing and giving it some time. They are a vast difference for someone like me... a bullseye shooter. I put them back on and shot a bunch with them over about a three month times span. Shooting plates and IDPA my times increased even tho I felt my accuracy declined. Precision accuracy is worse, speed is way up and overall for what they offer they do what I like for a defensive handgun. That's was a G23, they are still on this pistol.

A few months back I had a student call me up looking for some refresher drills with a new carry gun he had bought. Its a Shield 40. Now I have shot many M&P pistols but somehow, never a shield... I bought my own 40 three days after shooting his. I LOVE THIS THING! So as a carry piece I decided on another set of BigD's.
This gun is not as accurate as the G23 it has replaced, but its accurate enough. I can shoot 2" at 7 yards very fast. I can keep 5 - 6.5" at 25 yards if I pay attention. Before the Big D's the gun was shooting nice round 4" 25 yard and 1" 7 yard groups. Its not gonna win me any trophy's, but I can hit and consistently hit accurately pretty fast at defensive ranges and that's what I require form this gun and its sites.

So if you get them, give them and yourself some time to acclimate, they are not what your likely used to.

CW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts