Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of interest to the Mini 30 owner, what bulk ammo are you seeing offered since slow joe has stopped the Russian ammo flow?
I split a case of Yugoslavia brass case berdan primed with a nephew years back it shot real good but mildly corrosive so wash down after range trip. I'd like to have a case of that stuff set back. Should have bought when available. Doubtful there will be like that in the future.

haven't seen anything mil-surplus in some time. I split a cas

·
Formerly "raf"
3,034 Posts
Since modifying my SKS with syn stock, forward Scout mount for RDS sight, and some other minor things, I don't shoot it much after sighting it in, and verifying 100% reliability.. Got over 2k Rds of 7.62x39, some of it in sealed cans, the rest of it in GI ammo cans with H2O absorbants in every can.

Saving $$ on shooting more-or-less similar rifles using .22RF, which ammo I have stocked-up in abundance. I bought the "similar" rifles, and configured them to mimic my major caliber rifles for just this purpose.

Blind man could see all this coming. No offense to the newcomers/young folks, but all us old-timers should have seen this coming, from past experiences.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately I was in long term convalescent late December '19 through May '20 and when I sort of 'came around' the panic was in full swing. I've likely got enough banked for short of zombie hoards but darn primers are in short supply.
Should have bought a spare case of the Yugo when it was available - or a case of the Chinese before Billary stopped it.

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
New, non-corrosive 7.62x39 is and will continue to be available from PPU and Igman.

There is still plenty of new production Russian, too, for now.

SGAmmo has the excellent (but corrosive) Yugo milsurp in stock now.

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,633 Posts
I wish there were sources for the old Yugo M-67 at reasonable prices. It's great stuff in every way but the corrosive primers. I have only a few boxes of 15 rounds each left, date stamped 1974.

I used to shoot it along with corrosive Chinese surplus in the very beginning when I first bought my Mini-30 and didn't know better. Thankfully I always did a full cleaning with Hoppes 9 and Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber after every range session. I finished each cleaning by dragging an oiled patch though the bore. I didn't know anything about using soapy water first after shooting corrosive ammo. Nonetheless, my 32-year-old Mini-30 bore is bright and shiny as a mirror. no pitting, no issues, and looks like it will probably last another 30 years.

I don't really recommend using corrosive ammo in a Mini, even if one does understand how important it is to break down the carbine and clean it properly. I let my Mini-30 sit for 3 days one time before cleaning after shooting some Yugo. In that short time light surface rust was already apparent at the bore. I grabbed my cleaning kit real quick and took care of it. No harm done, but I just don't feel comfortable with it anymore.

On the other hand, if you have some non corrosive Berdan primers and the time and patience to replace the corrosive primers, that'll work. I'm doing that right now with a half case of Chinese surplus copper washed steel case and steel core. Depriming Berdan primers is a pain in the Azores, but after that step, reloading is no more difficult than with Boxer primed cases.

I bought 5,000 Fort Smith Berdan primers made specifically for 7.62x39 on Gunbroker sometime back. I had a little buyer's remorse because 5,000 primers cost a lot of money even before we were paying too much for primers. Now I could sell them back for 5 times what I paid, but I won't... and I'm so over the buyer's remorse.

What I'd like to find is someone with a bunch of once-fired Yugo brass. I never see it anywhere. People will say Berdan cases are not reloadable, but what they really mean is that it's not Boxer brass. It is reloadable, but a little more time consuming.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think SGAmmo was the last place I saw full crates of surplus M67 Yugo.
All the m67 I ever bought was 90’s prod. in sealed crates packed in 20 round paper bundles. Except the last case I bought that was ‘80’s prod. on strippers. THAT case had a few duds and didn’t feel as hot, maybe age, maybe how it was stored.
Never bothered me to clean up after corrosive ammo but I can’t justify spending $600 on a crate of any surplus that may be iffy.
Global Ordinance is now carrying PPU brass case non-corrosive m67, $13/box. Not the cheapest but a good price for great loads. Although for hunting the PPU SP RN (soft point round nose) is a good load, comparable to 30-30 and cheaper.

·
Formerly "raf"
3,034 Posts
With new storage shed being constructed, I might have enough room to re-establish a re-loading bench. Been looking forward to this for some time. Can re-load a few hundred cases of 7.62x39, along with a lot more stuff, in different calibers. In the future, I'll be asking for info about reloading 7.62x39, as I am a newbie to that particular caliber.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
for general info I use windshield washer fluid - the winter mix has more alcohol added - to spray down after shooting the corrosive x39 ammo and also handy cleaner for black powder guns out camping when detail clean up isn't possible. cap and ball revolvers just heavily spray down, the bore also, then run wet swabs through. wipe dry and then lube. that's my favorite shooting. believe me the .44s are powerful. I load 220 gr cast Lee mold slugs over 30 grains 3F. there's no critter east of the Mississippi a solid hit with that won't put down. that's the '58 Remington replica. every bit a .357 mag or .45 Colt.
I'll try to post some x39 handload info in reloading section later on.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Marlin........Slo Joe's ban on the Russian steel isn't going into effect until 2023. I was at the LGS the other day and they had cases of freshly delivered x39mm Russian steel sitting on the floor. I asked the owner about it, also believing it had been banned. He told me the real deal.

People charging through the moon prices for the x39mm ammo now are gouging....period. Still available.

On that topic. Buy all the PPU or reloadable brass case stuff you can find. Very easy caliber to reload for. As mentioned above...Igman is some really nice stuff and reasonable. My buddy bought a couple hundred rounds for a trial test. Ended up buying two cases shortly after. Added bonus is it is reloadable.

Bepe

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes there are gougers selling during this 'panic'. that applies unfortunately to primers too.
should have seen it coming and 'hoarded' a box of SPPs now I have only a few trays on hand. scalpers selling primers and one is that fellow that runs one of the largest gun and related items sales in the USA.
glad I've got some LRPs and LPPs set back, enough for awhile anyways.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do have a supply of PMC brass case bought years back, no misfires but it's low powered compared to every other brand I've shot. upside is the hulls are good quality for reloads. so I need to plan a range trip to pop off 100 for the cases to load the good Hornady red-tip 123 gr with.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I do have a supply of PMC brass case bought years back, no misfires but it's low powered compared to every other brand I've shot. upside is the hulls are good quality for reloads. so I need to plan a range trip to pop off 100 for the cases to load the good Hornady red-tip 123 gr with.
Back in the 80's, when I purchased my first Mini 30 189 the PMC was pretty much the only brass x39mm available in my area. I shot a ton of it. Still have several hundred of the brass. The Igman appears to be available now. Very good stuff as I posted above.

I was in the LGS the other day and purchased 500 rounds of Sellier & Belliott Tactical. I tested a couple rounds in my Hornady Headspace Comparator and found that it is sized a couple thousands longer than any other factory ammo I have tested. Micrometer's to the same length that I size my reloads at, .001 headspace. I haven't shot any yet but am thinking that this stuff should be quite accurate. Rip off price was .60 a round. Don't know if it can be found cheaper.

The new strategy is......."Buy what you can, when you can".

Bepe

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah Bepe I would buy several dozen boxes if available around here to have 'set back', securely stored or for maybe a range trip. I'll have to adjust my sight for elevation to shoot the PMC for the good cases, but I have the correct powder(s) to load and bullets for and thankfully did buy a box of LRPs before the 'panic' began.
wish I could say same for SPPs as I load for 5 different cartridges requiring and 2 of are favorite guns to shoot - I have less than 4 trays of SP left, but powder, pills and cases good amount set back. wanting to practice with my EDC Makarov and my hide-out or back up Beretta .32acp. but holding off until I can get primers to reload fired hulls with more cast slugs. Usually run 100 rounds each pistol then 50 in my .357 or 9mm S&W 5903.
good luck finding SP primers reasonable price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
for general info I use windshield washer fluid - the winter mix has more alcohol added - to spray down after shooting the corrosive x39 ammo and also handy cleaner for black powder guns out camping when detail clean up isn't possible. cap and ball revolvers just heavily spray down, the bore also, then run wet swabs through. wipe dry and then lube. that's my favorite shooting. believe me the .44s are powerful. I load 220 gr cast Lee mold slugs over 30 grains 3F. there's no critter east of the Mississippi a solid hit with that won't put down. that's the '58 Remington replica. every bit a .357 mag or .45 Colt.
I'll try to post some x39 handload info in reloading section later on.
Windex, or similar glass cleaners have ammonia in them, and that kills, and cleans the corrosive residue from corrosive ammo, and black powder.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts