Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets say that your looking at 2 rifles to buy:

Rifle A cost around $1,200, has a solid reputation, great quality and comes with a lifetime warranty.

Rifle B cost around $500, has hit and miss quality, and comes with a 1 year warranty.

Would you rather buy the less expensive rifle, and have whatever might be wrong fixed in the first year.

Or would you rather buy the more expensive rifle that has good quality and a lifetime warranty?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I've long enjoyed the firearms hobby through acquiring better quality firearms. Buying firearms that require adjustments and fixing in order to work as advertised is like buying new tires that require patching before they will hold air.

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts
I've been screwed both ways ! :ph34r:
+1 but the chances of pain is less with the high quality item. Seems kind of a big gap tho, I think there are a number of lower cost quality rifles between 1200 and 500. Could we narrow it down a bit?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lets say that your looking at 2 rifles to buy:

Rifle A cost around $1,200, has a solid reputation, great quality and comes with a lifetime warranty.

Rifle B cost around $500, has hit and miss quality, and comes with a 1 year warranty.

Would you rather buy the less expensive rifle, and have whatever might be wrong fixed in the first year.

Or would you rather buy the more expensive rifle that has good quality and a lifetime warranty?
It depends on the purpose of the purchase. If it's for fun, range only use and/or plinking, the $500 gun makes more sense, but, if it's for home defense or emergency situations, well, in that case, would you trust your life to a hit and miss gun?

·
Tracker
178 Posts
I believe you get what you pay for. But I would like an inexpensive Rifle to tinker with.
XR750

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would never buy a rifle of questionable quality, even if I had to pay $1200.
Fortunately there are a lot of good rifles out there to be had under $500.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I have always bought quality firearms... They are almost always the best.

However, I have bought cheaper firearms if there was a purpose in mind. I sometimes will buy a less expensive, or used firearm and modify it, to suit my purposes.

For instance I will buy every FN Mauser action I see, to build a special purpose firearms with.

For instance a friend of mine is on a SWAT team locally. He has a Remington 700 in .308 issued to him. I've shot this firearm and it really shoots great. This is also a very expensive firearm.

I don't like the Remington extractor though. Remington centerfire rifles need the Remington extractor removed and replaced with a Sako extractor.

I build a .308 rifle on an FN action with a douglas premium barrel, and a McMillan stock, that shoots identical to his Swat rifle for $1500.00. That is at least a thousand dollars less than his rifle cost.

I just had my rifle modified to add the ability to use M-14 20 round magazines in it. He now likes my rifle much better than the one, that is issued to him.

Bill

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
A little known fact !

I would buy the best I could afford.
I buy more often than not , closer to one dollar than a million dollars ! :lol:

I believe that there are plenty of good rifles at the $500 price tag ! :rolleyes:

Just my three cents ! :unsure:

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
So whens the shotgun get here again?

I want one of them 7.62 bullpups, but we know how thats gonna work out.
who knows if im gonna be able to afford to pay off the shotgun when it finally comes out..i might even have to cash out my deposit...as for the 7.62... u can get a bullet button for just about everthing

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would look for 2 good used guns that has been taken care of for 600.00 and buy 2 of them that way you can 2 different caliber. == GOOD LUCK ==

1 - 20 of 37 Posts