Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'Anyone here ever taken a whitetail with the 7.62 x 39 inside of 100 yards. I hunt in deep timber and thickets in SE AR? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey Will Bear, I haven't shot a whitetail with a mini thirty, but I ran my ballistics program for the 7.62 x 39, and hunting with 125 gr to 150 gr bullets, you have 1200 to 1300 ft/lbs of energy at 100 yds. It is recommended you have at least 900 ft/lbs. So it looks good for 100 yds or so. Will, I don't mean to preach as we don't know what you know, but the FMJ, are fun ta plink with, but not a very good hunting round, they tend to make the deer run fast, and die slow.
Go get ya one, or if you were here in Louisiana, you can take 6 deer in a 2 month long season. Good hunting!;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

The 20" spread 8 point I took in 1994 was in Taylor, LA between Minden and Ruston.

I think you have a point and I will stay with my 30-30 for the short ranges and maybye get a Mini-14 or 30 for bustin' caps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can honestly say that this topic was beating a dead horse on gunbroker's forum. That same question has been asked over and over. And the answer has always been that the Mini-30, and SKS, and AK are sufficient for hunting whitetail deer.

Even some have claimed to use an AR, or Mini chambered for .223rem.

I haven't yet heard of anyone using a 5.45x39 on a deer yet, but am interested in any stories.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have taken wild boar with a mini 30 using 125 grain Nosler balistic tip projectiles, I will say that I put 4 rounds into a 210 Lb. pig with the desired result ( I dont know if one was enough) although some meat was destroyed by the explosive nature of the ballistic tip. The rifle was true on all 4 shots about a six inch group with my heart pounding on 3 the last was a leg shot. And no I was not aiming at the leg. I would say I was 80 yards away.

I have a friend who I have spent 3 successful trips afield, he only uses a remington bolt action 223 with incredible success. 3 California deer one shot each, all had to be terminated upon arrival, however none of them were gonna get away. Good shot placement and a cool head should do the trick, it works for him.

I still like a bolt action 30-06 for any game you dont wany to see suffer.:usa:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Last season i killed a 165 pound doe with my mini-30,
the shot was heart/lung and at about 70 yards. I was using federal 125 grain (soft point) rounds after the shot the deer
made a 30 yard circle and dropped dead as a door nail.
I use a bolt action 3006 for most all my deer hunting but when
i go into the thick stuff where the longest shot would be
under 100 yards i grab my mini-30 it does the job if you are a RESPONSIBLE hunter and know the limitations and is great fun to carry.good hunting my friend;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts