Perfect Union banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys I understand not wanting to shoot the Bear, Wolf ammo out of your rifle but it seems both have done a lot of improvements. I shot nothing but US made brass cased boxer primed ammo and my firing pin broke anyway (I am convinced it was a fluke and Ruger took care of me). I bought my Mini-14 because of it's reliability and durability. Do I want to shoot corrosive lacquered crap threw it? NO!! This is not the ammo I see from the Commies now days. Yes it is steel cased but the coating seems better and no more red sealant crap. I admit I checked it out. Fired 200 rounds not a single failure Wolf Black Box Berdan Primed non-corrosive. Guess I was proving to myself that the mini can eat anything. Oh ya what is wrong with Berdan primers?? Only thing I can find is they suck to reload. I wouldn't reload steel anyway so what gives?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Berdan primers are hard on firing pins. Mini's were never designed with berdan primed ammo in mind. I just checked a few boxes of Wolf .223, black box, WOLF in big red letters. It says, non corrosive, boxer primed. I shoot lots of it, also lots of the Herters from Cabela's which is re-branded Wolf 3.99 a box. It's not super accurate ammo but accurate enough for cheap practice ammo.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Berdan primers are hard on firing pins.
Why? no one has ever explained that to me. Not bashing just curious. I understand they suck to reload but thats the only thing that I understand besides someone saying they are hard on firing pins.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I don't know if I'll get this right, but I will give it a shot.

A boxer primer has its anvil in the primer and the flash hole in the case is in the center.

A Berdan primer has no anvil, the anvil is built into the center of the case primer pocket with two flash holes off to the sides.

I don't think any US made .223 or 5.56 ammo has ever been manufactured with berdan primers, though I could be wrong on that.

I do know that quite a few Mini 30's have had firing pin issues while shooting commie berdan primed 7.62x39.

All the .223 steel cased ammo I have shot has been boxer primed. I myself have not come across any that was berdan primed, and if I did I would not purchase it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay so the fact that the case is used as the anvil makes it a harder hit on the firing pin? Sorry just trying to get my facts straight what you have stated I understand but the fact that Berdan primed ammo is detrimental on firing pins I still don't get. I understand how the primers are different and how it would suck to reload Berdan primers in domestic cases. My only conclusion is Berdan Primers could be harder if the case primer pocket was hard. Then again there are very hard boxer primers as well. So which is worse a hard boxer primer or a soft berdan primer with a hard primer pocket? Don't boxer primers rely on the primer pocket for ignition? I dunno. All I know is I bought my Mini-14 as a reliable durable rifle made in the USA it should be able to shoot it as long as it is within tolerance of the caliber. I am not going to accept that it can't shoot commie made ammo just because it's commie and or Berdan primed, Berdan primers have been around for a long while as have corrosive primers. I usually will purchase any product for a higher price because it's made in the USA I'm just curious.

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
Im not knocking wolf or tula or any other steel cased ammo manufacturer but I will not shoot it. If I were in a situation where I had to that would be a diffrent story.I guess the main reason is im a reloader and I like to keep the brass. I know you can reload steel cased ammo that is boxer primed and even berdan primed but my understanding is that its harder to do. Im just not going to do it. I dont care if you guys shoot steel cased ammo exclusivly. thats fine with me and im not going to knock you for doing it. My preferance is brass.

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
in the mini 30 - mil spec comblock berdan primers seem to need more of a hard strike to pop - they seem to be "harder" I won't shoot wolf in my 30 because 1 out of three rounds is a dud on the first primer strike. I think this is to prevent slam fires in guns like the AK and SKS.

since mil spec comblock berdan primers "give" less - some say they can break firing pins.

however I do find that whatever primers are used in silver bear 7.62x39 go off perfect every time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
by no means have or will I shoot steel cased ammo exclusively just my piece of mind it will eat it and it did very well. Now I know in a pinch it will work just fine.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Remember, when the Mini was designed, we were still enemy's of the Evil Empire of the Soviet Union and we never expected to be on trading terms with them. The same with the Chinese. The Mini's were never intended to shoot Commie ammo. kwg

·
Registered
345 Posts
heads up on wolf ammo. some of the military classic was bedean primed and ALL of the wpa (wolf perormance ammo) is berdan primed. ther was wpa for 200 per 1k at the last show. almost bought it but luckily i read the box closer.

the ar guys seem to shoot berdan 223 ok. they are fortunate to be able to swap firing pins easily. that is one advantage to the ar platform.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone here besides me think that if shooting berdan primers would hurt the mini that Ruger would announce that with a statement?
CAUTION: NEVER SHOOT AMMUNITION USING BERDAN PRIMERS AS FIRING PIN FAILURE MAY RESULT. RUGER WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR REPAIRS.
I would expect the above statement if berdan primers would hurt the mini. There was no such statement with my new mini. Don't know about the older ones.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Does anyone here besides me think that if shooting berdan primers would hurt the mini that Ruger would announce that with a statement?
CAUTION: NEVER SHOOT AMMUNITION USING BERDAN PRIMERS AS FIRING PIN FAILURE MAY RESULT. RUGER WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR REPAIRS.
I would expect the above statement if berdan primers would hurt the mini. There was no such statement with my new mini. Don't know about the older ones.
OK here it is right out of the Ruger manual.

AMMUNITION
The RUGER® MINI-14® RANCH RIFLES are offered in two calibers: the
.223 Remington (5.56mm) cartridge and the 6.8mm Remington SPC cartridge.
The Target Model uses .223 Remington cartridges only.
RUGER® MINI THIRTY RIFLES are chambered for the 7.62 x 39mm
cartridge, and can use either standard U.S. military or factory loaded sporting
7.62 x 39mm cartridges manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice.
Do not attempt to use any other cartridges in this rifle, even though "7.62mm"
may appear in their names (i.e., 7.62 x 51mm NATO [.308 Winchester]; 7.62
Tokarev; 7.62 x 54 Rimmed Russian, etc.).
Always be careful to ensure you are using the correct
ammunition for your rifle. See "Ammunition Notice" & "Warning -
Ammunition," below.
USE ONLY FACTORY AMMUNITION LOADED
TO U.S. INDUSTRY STANDARDS

This part,

The Mini-14 Ranch and Mini Thirty Rifles are designed to use either standardized
U.S. military, or factory loaded sporting cartridges manufactured in accordance
with U.S. industry practice.

And this,

Since the US ammunition manufactures and the US. Military have never produced any Berdan primed .223 or 5.56 ammo its pretty clear BERDAN primed ammo is not made or loaded TO U.S. INDUSTRY STANDARDS.

Its in the Manuel in black and white, define it as you will and do what you want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK here it is right out of the Ruger manual.

AMMUNITION
The RUGER® MINI-14® RANCH RIFLES are offered in two calibers: the
.223 Remington (5.56mm) cartridge and the 6.8mm Remington SPC cartridge.
The Target Model uses .223 Remington cartridges only.
RUGER® MINI THIRTY RIFLES are chambered for the 7.62 x 39mm
cartridge, and can use either standard U.S. military or factory loaded sporting
7.62 x 39mm cartridges manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice.
Do not attempt to use any other cartridges in this rifle, even though "7.62mm"
may appear in their names (i.e., 7.62 x 51mm NATO [.308 Winchester]; 7.62
Tokarev; 7.62 x 54 Rimmed Russian, etc.).
Always be careful to ensure you are using the correct
ammunition for your rifle. See "Ammunition Notice" & "Warning -
Ammunition," below.

This part,

The Mini-14 Ranch and Mini Thirty Rifles are designed to use either standardized
U.S. military, or factory loaded sporting cartridges manufactured in accordance
with U.S. industry practice.

And this,

Since the US ammunition manufactures and the US. Military have never produced any Berdan primed .223 or 5.56 ammo its pretty clear BERDAN primed ammo is not made or loaded TO U.S. INDUSTRY STANDARDS.

Its in the Manuel in black and white, define it as you will and do what you want.
Jeff F you could very well be correct.

However I believe that Ruger is more likely referring to cartridge specifications for dimension and pressure. If primers were the issue why would they approve of using the harder primers found in U.S. military cartirdges? yes, I know they're boxer primed but they would still be harder than standard primers.

I see in your first post that you have used steel cased ammunition. Was this in a Ruger? How did that work out for you? Is this ammo made to US industry standards or US military standards? If so I wouldn't mind trying even though I wasn't aware of any steel cased US military ammo supply. Sounds economical.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I shoot steel cased boxer primed Russian ammo for practice in a couple different Mini 14's and a couple of AR's. I have shot thousands of rounds and not had any ammo related failures other then a few rounds that had a primer pressed in sideways. Those were caught on inspection and never loaded into a magazine.

I can't load practice ammo cheaper then I can buy Wolf or Herter's when its on sale + the time it takes to load it. Last time I bought Herter's it was 3.99 a box. I bought 50 boxes. Comes out to about .20 cents a round. Its not ammo I would use in a competition or shooting contest but its accurate enough to consistently bust clay pigeons set on the berm at 100 yards

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
If you use Wolf ammo you will be branded a communist and black listed, have a nice day.;)
In other words, it may just be propaganda....

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Mini 30's don't do well with steel case ammo. In general the eastern European 7.62 ammo is made with hard primers for use in machine guns (AKs predominately). Some of that wolf ammo is also shipped to other countries for military use. The American .223/5.56 was never designed for use with hard primers. I have never had a problem with wolf .223 in a mini. The issue is not berdan vs. boxer. It is the metallurgy of the primer construction in foriegn 7.62 ammo vs. .223/5.56. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts