Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that its ok to use wolf ammo in my mini 14 and I have also read that using the steel case ammo can damage the firing pin. Does anyone no the deal on this one?

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
The 223/5.56 Steel cased Wolf is Boxer primed not the hard Berdan primed ammo as in the 7.62x39. If it feeds and fires you should be fine.

·
Registered
345 Posts
i am approaching 1000 rounds of steel cased tula/uly in my 581 series mini 14
with zero failures. at 20 cents a round it is almost as cheap as reloading and you don't have to walk to the next county to pick up your brass. just make sure you get the boxer primed stuff.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There's nothing wrong with it. I just passed the 600 round mark with steel cased ammo in my 181 series mini, only 1 failure too feed (which is, in fact, the only failure of any kind from my mini :) ), but I think it was from an underloaded round. just make sure you clean the chamber reeealy well to get the bits of lacquer out.

·
Registered
345 Posts
i will admit i broke the gun in on brass ammo but the tula was no dirtier than the gun show reloads that i bought. santa brought me a otis cleaning kit and the small chamber cleaning cable works wonders.

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
I dont really care for it. I will not shoot it unless I have to, but if you want to shoot it thats fine. Like others have said it is dirty so be ready to clean your rifle.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Haven't noticed it being dirtier than brass, but I did have a situation, that, yet again, had me questioning whether it was worth the cheap price or not. Click here

EDIT: Just realized I'm guilty, again, of confusing Wolf with TulAmmo. Though they are both russian steel cased....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Shot some wolf match that was very accurate. Regular wolf is cheap and shoots decent. Not my favorate because other stuff is more accurate, and my buddy always gets the cheap remington so I "help" him shoot that. Have only had my mini for a year and a half, and only shot about 500 round so far, but it has ate anything and everything I put in it, no problems.
Also don't shoot much wolf because the closes place for my to buy ammo is a Farm and Fleet, and they don't carry that brand. So I just shoot Winchester white box 5.56 or that Remington green box

·
Registered
200 Posts
i wouldnt use steel cased ammo in a mini, why? cuz it aint chrome lined which is better for steel cased ammo. steel cased ammo will wear out the chamber cuz the mini chamber isnt chrome lined.

·
Registered
345 Posts
i am not an expert in metalurgy but the way it was explained to me is that it is a softer grade of steel. its not a tool grade seel that will cut into the chamber anymore than brass.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Try a search. This subject comes up like clockwork every week or so....
I don't shoot steel cased ammo in anything but commie milsurps. They're made for it. Different chambering tolerances.
Steel cases do not expand/contract properly as brass does. That's why you can't reload them...
This can lead to excessive carbon buildup and sticking cases. So I've read...

Not to keep beating this dead horse, but I just don't get it. You can buy brass-cased ammo for nearly the same price as steel. So Why???

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not to keep beating this dead horse, but I just don't get it. You can buy brass-cased ammo for nearly the same price as steel. So Why???
where are you getting new production, brass cased .223 for 4 bucks a box? personally, if i'm shooting to reload, i use m193s i get for 38-45 cents a pop. if im just plinking, i like that i don't feel obligated to pick up the steel, especially with how far my mini throws them...

·
Registered
338 Posts
where are you getting new production, brass cased .223 for 4 bucks a box? personally, if i'm shooting to reload, i use m193s i get for 38-45 cents a pop. if im just plinking, i like that i don't feel obligated to pick up the steel, especially with how far my mini throws them...
I said nearly the same price.
Wolf is $5/box (I've never seen $4):
Ammo | Rifle | 223 Remington | Wolf Ammunition - Natchez Shooters Supplies

Federal is $6/box:
Federal 223 Rem 55 gr FMJ American Eagle 1000/box - Natchez Shooters Supplies

I just don't get the mindset of guys that think nothing of spending $500-$1000 on a firearm, then try to find the absolute cheapest sh** they can to send down the barrel. If I find I can't afford to buy ammo because of a $1 price difference, I'll find another hobby.

Sorry, just my opinion. I shoot steel case all day long in my AK or other eastern milsurps that were designed for it. Not one of my other firearms will see it.

If it's so great- and cheap to boot- why does our military still insist on brass cased ammo?:huh:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I said nearly the same price.
Wolf is $5/box (I've never seen $4):
Ammo | Rifle | 223 Remington | Wolf Ammunition - Natchez Shooters Supplies

Federal is $6/box:
Federal 223 Rem 55 gr FMJ American Eagle 1000/box - Natchez Shooters Supplies

I just don't get the mindset of guys that think nothing of spending $500-$1000 on a firearm, then try to find the absolute cheapest sh** they can to send down the barrel. If I find I can't afford to buy ammo because of a $1 price difference, I'll find another hobby.

Sorry, just my opinion. I shoot steel case all day long in my AK or other eastern milsurps that were designed for it. Not one of my other firearms will see it.

If it's so great- and cheap to boot- why does our military still insist on brass cased ammo?:huh:
It's brass cased but in my experience we always had the ****tiest brass you can find. You may think that lake city M193 is mil spec but the truth is actual military ammo is of poor quality. FTF and FTE rates are the same as with wolf with good ole army ammunition. JOMO

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know the M193s aren't the best quality. I've never had a single failure with it, and my mini shoots it pretty well FWIW. I look at gunshows and hit sales, which is where i get my 55gr WOLF for 4 bucks. seeing as i'm a simple high school student earning minimum wage, it makes a difference for me. ;) once I can start handloading, then i'll probably ditch the steel cased stuff, except for casual plinking.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know the M193s aren't the best quality. I've never had a single failure with it, and my mini shoots it pretty well FWIW. I look at gunshows and hit sales, which is where i get my 55gr WOLF for 4 bucks. seeing as i'm a simple high school student earning minimum wage, it makes a difference for me. ;) once I can start handloading, then i'll probably ditch the steel cased stuff, except for casual plinking.
I meant to say that M193 that we can buy is better than the M193 that the Army uses.

I have lots of steel cased ammunition but I usually just use it in my AR. My Mini 14 gets everything brass cased...PMC, Lake City, Sellier & Bellot those are my three brands in order of lowest to highest, oh and when I'm desperate Rem UMC.
but I think I'm going to start using steel cased in my mini and save the brass for the apocalypse.

·
Registered
345 Posts
when you don't have the timeto reload 20cents a round is great. the difference between 4 and 6 dollars a box is 50 percent. i am lucky enough to get to go shooting at least 2 times a month going thru at least 2-3 hundred rounds each time just in the mini. add to that the 9mm carbine the sks and the 22 rifles that put me up to 600 rounds each outing. it adds up quick not to mention a midweek trip to the indoor range to shoot handguns. my ammo expense is rather high so i want the most bang for the buck i can get.

yes i probably should get into reloading but i really don't have the time or the desire to chase brass.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm with Scuba, when you don't have time to reload .20 cents a round is a good deal. Plus the cost of reloading equipment would set me back 4 months worth of ammunition.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm with Scuba, when you don't have time to reload .20 cents a round is a good deal. Plus the cost of reloading equipment would set me back 4 months worth of ammunition.
my sentiments exactly. I have access to a friend with a Dillon progressive, so I just need to 'bite the bullet' and get started. unfortunately, he lives an hour and a half away. we'll see. can't wait to try out some 55gr matchkings....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts