Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not used Wolf ammo yet (I have 500 rds. in my garage) in my mini 30 but I have used some non name Russian steel case ammo (500 rds.) with very few misfires and no jams. Does everyone but me have problems with the steel cased stuff? However I do think that I will get an extra firing pin and extractor to have on hand.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Welcome to the forum mbtp1. Some mini's like the wolf, and some don't. I don't believe the steel case is as much a problem as is the Berdian primer. It is harder to set off than commercial boxer primed ammo.

You can use the search button, and enter wolf ammo, as key word's, several threads will come up on the subject.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My friend's and I have had bad luck with wolf ammo in our
mini-14's, but have had great success with wolf ammo in our sks's.

Red laquer on wolf steel cases is bad in ruger mini14's

blzn 69

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have used Wolf and Barnual ammo in my mini 30. I like the Barnual better and it is just as inexpensive as Wolf. AI use the soft tips if possible so I know I am getting a lead bullet. Some of the Wolf ammo has a steel jacket and copper wash.

I don't ever recall a stoppage or failure to fire with either type. I use Ruger 5 round mags. NJ bans high caps so I don't have to worry about bad mags. I usually fire about a 100 to 150 rds per range trip and clean the rifle completely between visits. I would recommend buying a few boxes first to see how you and your rifle like them. You can get 80 to 100 rds for around $10.00 so if it doesn't work out your not out much cash. If you like them thenlook into a case or 2.

TC:cannon:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ditto on Wolf ammo bad in Mini-14's. I had one get stuck after about 60 rounds or so. Had to use a cleaning rod to bang it out. Sold off the rest and got Winchester Q3131A.

No more problems.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had the same experience with my mini 14. After about 60-70 rounds when the gun heats up,the laquer begins to melt and a round will get stuck in the chamber. Steel cased ammo works fine in ak's but in american guns brass cased is the only way to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts