Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my mini runs flawlessly with wolf 55gr FMJ excempt with my 40round mag:mad: but with the other mags it has gone 800rounds with out any jams not related too the 40rder. So i am wondering if my gun will function with the wolf Hollow points? I don't think it should make a diference but has anyone had any experience with a mini 14 and this ammo?
How about as a self defense round would it make a good stopper?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Well, I'm not the expert. I have tried every brand in my magazines. With the large capacity mags, I had some feeding problems with Wolf ammo (steel lacquered cases). That was a few years ago, before possession of a large-cap mag was a felony in Kalifornia. (Nevermind when you bought it or when it was manufactured)

My best guess at the problem was lubrication. So I tried wiping rounds with an oiley cloth which cured the feeding problem, but later found out that oil is destructive to primers. But, Wolf has a red seal around their primers and the supersonic part. That's supposed to seal out water, but maybe it seals out oil too? Also, oil on the supersonic part might cause a pressure problem. I, for one, would like to hear more on this subject.

KC

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've not had the first problem with Wolf Brand Ammunion in my Mini 14. I've fired a 1000 round case each of JHP and FMJ through it without a hiccup. I don't see a problem with build up in the chamber either, but I clean thoroughly after each trip to the range.

Good luck and good shooting!

Originally posted by Greg1911
my mini runs flawlessly with wolf 55gr FMJ excempt with my 40round mag:mad: but with the other mags it has gone 800rounds with out any jams not related too the 40rder. So i am wondering if my gun will function with the wolf Hollow points? I don't think it should make a diference but has anyone had any experience with a mini 14 and this ammo?
How about as a self defense round would it make a good stopper?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Oil on the supersonic part is no problem. Oil on the case body leads to bad things. The case expands upon charge ignition and presses out firmly against the chamber. Lubricated cases will not 'grab' the chamber wall, resulting in all that pressure and energy being directed back at the case head/ bolt face...and potentially your face. Not saying that is the end result in all cases but it raises the odds. Also the lube on the case creates excess chamber pressure. Any of you who reload and have run a case into a sizing die with too much lube on it know what happens. Huge dents in the shoulder and wall, and that's just hand pressure folks. We're talking about 40-50,000 lbs here. I implore you, do not lube loaded rounds and fire them. Do it for your face.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have used the JHP round with the same result, I love this ammo, I know it shoots dirtier than other ammo but this stuff really is accurate and it gives me extremly good results when I go **** hunting(Just go look my hunt results thread!).
:rapid:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks, reloader

See how a simple idea can be trouble. I never would've thought about what could happen with the case lubed. I guess that would be equivalent to storage lube in the barrel. They always say swab the barrel and get that oil out, but nobody ever said the chamber too.

My math is good, I did pretty good in school. But sometimes I can't add 2+2 when it really matters.

KC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts