Perfect Union banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at how "fast" you are. The timer will make you faster, in short order, guys, because it shows you when you really WERE faster, as vs just "feeling" faster. Often, because you had wasted movemnt in a draw or raising of longarm, you may well have MOVED faster, but because you "ran around the block", instead of "cutting across the block", the actual elapsed time was slower. The timer's feedback can indicate to you where and when you are doing something that is slowing you down.

For instance, I was very fast from just dryfire draw practice, with a Co2 Hawes, SA 'revolver" type of bb pistol. i could "beat the drop" of a coin that I held on the back of my hand at waist height, prior to drawing. No problem, to include thumcocking the hammer of tjhe pistol. But when I got on an electronic timer (actually a sweep hand model, in 1978) I got to be almost twice as fast, within a month or so of dedicated work, using a speed rig by Bob Arganbright, of SAA Fast draw fame, and mostly primer powered wax ammo, and a 1911, loading the rds one at a time.

Then, using first a .22lr conversion unit on the 1911 and then my cast bulllet reloads in the .45, I worked until I could reliably average under .70 second for a reaction to the "beep" of the timer, draw, and hit the 10" A zone circle, at 5 yds, from hands at sides, for 5 tries, after a few "warmup" draws. "cold tries would average .90 second or less.

The muzzle forward rake of the speed rig, and its leaning out away from the body, clear access of the middle finger to the bottom of the trigger guard, lent itself to swift acquisition of the Weaver stance and a (mostly) point fire shot, but from eye-level.

Then I moved to a rig positioned behind the strong side hip, Even with lots of work, I never got much below .80 second for an average of 5 draws and hits, 10" circle at 50 yds. The FBI draw causes you to pass the muzzle thru buttock and leg, which always made me a "hair" more careful. Using hands at shoulder height always slowed me down about .10 second more, and concealment, real concealment (shirttail hung out and IWB rig) always slowed me .20 second or a bit more, and that was with hands at sides. Surrender start really slows you for a ccw draw, since the weak hand has to go down past the bottom of the shirttail and then sweep it back up.

from hands at sides, "warmed up", I could average under 1.0 second for 5 ccw draws,from under a shirt tail, 10" circle at 5 yds, with the gun worn at the more concealalbe, better protected, and swifter to access navel-position. "cold" tries would add .20 second to that average. Moving back to 10 yds would add about .15 second, too. Still, for "real deal" ccw draws, that is world class.

the "open jacket' ccw draw is bs, cause rain, wind, cold, or decorum can demand that you FASTEN your coat, and hot weather demands that you not wear one at all. KISS says to not screw yourself up by practicing 2 methods of 'clearing" your outer garment, much less using 2 different positions for your ccw gun. Even worse are the fools who switch from gun to gun, especially from cocked and locked SA to DA trigger types. When you make an "omigod" sort of panic-reaction draw, the place where you 'reach" had better be where the gun IS, and the gun you grab had better be the one your training is most used to operating.

So I no longer use any cocked and locked carry modes. Even my hunting and match 1911 .45 is an LDA model, from Para Ord. (Commander length). I really hated to give up all the SA auto training, but the advantages of the DAO front pants pocket holster/gun combo have caused me to switch over. The realities of combat just don't value the light, short SA trigger anything LIKE as much as IDPA and IPSC match competition would make us believe.

The reality is that the range will be under 5 yds, mostly MUCH closer than that, and that you are likely to have to grapple with someone prior to or as you fire, that gloves or cold-numbed fingers are likely to make SA auto's dangerous or slow/awkward to manipulate, that hot weather ccw is a pita for anything but a front pants pocket rig, and that having hand ON gun, in front pants pocket, is by FAR the most reliable, swiftest ccw draw. The great majority of the time, you don;'t even have to fire, much less hit the attacker with a bullet, to make him either surrender or flee. So speed of access takes precedence over power or accuracy.

You CAN'T intimidate or shoot anyone with a gun that you don't have out and "on" your attacker. So work on speed of access FIRST, and worry about the so called "accuracy:' (big deal, hitting the chest at 6-8ft):) and "power" much further down the road. You aint a cop, ;much less a swat cop, and cops can bring longarms, armor, flashbangs, OC spray/grenades, all sorts of stuff to the fray that you cannot. your odds of needing more than a pocket pistol are very low, and the odds that a bigger pistol actually making a DIFFERENCE are a lot lower, especially if you are slow with it. without owning a timer, it's guaranteed that you are slow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the rifle is needed much less often than the pistol, only shtf will bring the rifle into play, basically, but then you won't be able to just "bluff" as works for most people with guns today. shtf, people will; be desperate, if you let them escape, they will just snipe you later. you can't be bothered with prisoners, so if you need the rifle, you will have to kill pretty much everyone involved. The noise of the shooting will probably also "call in" other people whom you will have to kill (or flee from).

So if you need the rifle at ALL, it is highly likely that you will also need a sound suppressor, luminous sight inserts, a V notched rear sight, a "see thru" scope mount, return to zero scope base, NON battery dependent sights, PROTECTED iron sights(from blows or falls) a drop in trigger job, with no overtravel or "creep", softpoint, GI ammo, a .22lr conversion unit, and REAL abiliity at snap shooting, using either eye and either shoulder. Almost nobody has this sort of ability or gear setup, but anyone can have it, and it's not even all that expensive, if you go at it correctly. The current "famine' of AR parts and ammo will end in a few months, after everyone realizes that they have been stupid to pay so much for such gear. they will need the money for other things and start selling off this stuff.

·
Troll Fister
138 Posts
That you Convict?

you think that by changing your internet handle We can't recognize your brand of scum?

Keep struggling cupcake, your pathetic squirming amuses me. :lol:

sad old man.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Timers are definitely a game changer and tells you quickly how slow you may well be in a situation you cannot afford to be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts