Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Old post, 2012, from gundoc in Tips & Tricks re thrown brass. If your shooting from a bench cut down a cardboard box and place it beside your receiver. Went back to the range yesterday and tried it. Works perfect, eliminates thrown brass and just as important if you handload you don't lose any brass.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
GunDoc gave much wonderful logic and advice. I miss him but hope he is living out a wonderful retirement, as am I.

There are also mesh laundry bags that could be configured for the same purpose. They are cheap, might have some occasional melting challenges, but would likely last and plentiful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Old post, 2012, from gundoc in Tips & Tricks re thrown brass. If your shooting from a bench cut down a cardboard box and place it beside your receiver. Went back to the range yesterday and tried it. Works perfect, eliminates thrown brass and just as important if you handload you don't lose any brass.
Hmm...cardboard box...
I target shoot down in my woods and then scavenge and scour through the leaves for the elusive "lost" brass.

This week I went shooting...after I burned a heap of cardboard boxes in the driveway.

I would not have thought of using a cardboard box in a hundred years...thanks for the tip!

·
Formerly "raf"
3,007 Posts
Quite a few store-bought mini-14 brass catchers out there, just do a search.

If shooting from a fixed position, and some sort of "barrier" or cardboard box won't do, bring a large tarp and place its center at the point where most of the brass falls. You'll be able to retrieve all, or at least most of the cases.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm...cardboard box...
I target shoot down in my woods and then scavenge and scour through the leaves for the elusive "lost" brass.

This week I went shooting...after I burned a heap of cardboard boxes in the driveway.

I would not have thought of using a cardboard box in a hundred years...thanks for the tip!
Thanks, but I'll give "gundoc" the credit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
.RIBob is right about the cardboard box. It's effectiveness is pretty much limited to shooting off a bench or maybe prone.
I agree, but a lot of my target shooting is off a bench and when I shoot freehand I always spread cheap tarps that catch most of it...the thought of a cardboard box and a little duct tape is right along my philosophy of hillbilly engineering...

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I agree, but a lot of my target shooting is off a bench and when I shoot freehand I always spread cheap tarps that catch most of it...the thought of a cardboard box and a little duct tape is right along my philosophy of hillbilly engineering...
When I shoot at the farm I usually shoot from the prone position. I do use a metal detector to find my thrown brass.

kwg

·
Formerly "raf"
3,007 Posts
Depending on the sensitivity of the detector, they will detect all types of metal.
Good to know. I'm sure we all want all our reloadable cases back, and also sure that none of us wants to contaminate the environment with spent cases, even if they can't be reloaded. My Club "makes" a significant amount of money from selling-off spent cases to metals recyclers. Same thing with lots of copper/lead from bullet traps.

Even on a private range, recovering non-reloadable spent cases can be a source of money. Waste not, Want not.

·
Formerly "raf"
3,007 Posts
"Gundoc" might deserve the credit hereabouts for making mention about spent ctg case 'traps", but I reckon he was not the first person to construct such. Likely he would agree, if possible.

I learned about such things 40 years ago when first shooting semi-auto firearms,and the practice was well-established long before then.

Nothing new under the sun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts