Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there use Windows 8? I installed version within a Xen Virtual Machine on my home laptop and found that I really really hated it. Sometimes there things you can only do in Windows. Removed it in favor of Win7. I am a tech person. My phone is rooted, Linux is my operating system of choice for work and home. I am well versed in Cisco. But I sure had a hard time with Windows 8. I even added "Classic Shell" and still didn't like it. I have a tablet but can't see it replacing my laptop anytime soon. Try typing fast on a tablet. So who hates Windows 8?

· Registered
36,430 Posts
I too hate it. In trying to make Windows "one operating system for all devices," Microsoft will annoy and infuriate their customers yet again. Desktop and notebook computers are not smart phones and tablets! One wonders whether Microsoft polled a real sampling of their customers to ask them how important it is for the operating system to be the same across the board. I can't imagine that matters nearly as much to the majority of users as it does to certain Microsoft techies chasing the latest trend.

I quit using anything from Microsoft years ago, unless required to for work.

· Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Free I unblocked you from this one. I figured we could talk about operating systems without getting into politics. I don't doubt your a good man, but we won't agree on most things.

I like Android and use it on a tablet and phone. The tablet I use for my work manuals and configuration guides. Nice to have something light that in past years would have been a very heavy briefcase. For laptop I run Win7 within Xen running on SuSE Linux. I have used other versions and Debian is the preferred at work, but they let us use what we want.

I tired adding the Classic Shell to Win8 but it doesn't really have the same interface. I have all versions of every Microsoft product available to me but I can't get along with it. However during the brief period I found it pretty fast. My work laptop is an I7 with a SSID and 16 gigs of Ram. It was fast to start, even faster with Win8. I also tried it on my old Toughbook at home with a Dual Core. It ran without a glitch, just hard to use.

I test interoperability of network gear from a lot of vendors including Cisco, Juniper and Aruba need lots of machines to test connectivity, tunnels and VPN's. Win8 doesn't cut it. Change the interface or make "classic" optional and I would be good to go.

· Registered
36,430 Posts

· Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Virtualization is the way to go. Thanks for the shortcuts. Being in a tech field I get to be the provider of free tech support in the family. I used Xen because it came with my distro and we use it a lot at work. I will take some time to play with VirtualBox.

· Registered
36,430 Posts
I have no reason to think Virtualbox has any advantages over Xen. It's just the version I read about when looking to run MS Office on my Linux box a few years ago. Had to have it instead of LibreOffice for complex documents editing compatibility. And it worked great. At the time, Windows Emulator (WINE) wasn't quite ready for MS Word (and may still not be).

I can say that Virtualbox is easy to use, well documented, and seems bug-free.

https://forums.virtualbox.org/index.php
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/UserManual.html

For anyone wondering why anyone would want to do this:
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html#idp13675040

One could, for example, have XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Mac OS all on the same machine, and with sufficient hardware power, could even run multiple OS's and view them on different monitors. I don't do that, but it is convenient to be able to use programs that run only on Windows from within Linux. Virtualization has security and recovery advantages as well.

We have an IT group here but nobody uses it.
http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/groups/information-technology.html

· Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have setup Wine. Was able to get many windows programs running with it. Xen works well and I have setup and used WinXP and Win7 at the same time. Wanted to try some others VM software just for the experience. Its all about skill sets these days. I am a pretty advanced Network Engineer but have to gain some more VM experience just to keep up with the youngsters.

· M.I.A.
1,475 Posts
I am waiting for the service pack to be released, then I will re-evaluate for corporate use. Right now I have one office with 100+ workstations that need to be upgraded before support ends for XP. Three others who will not upgrade since they are in locked environments and don't allow Internet access. Others will have to get on board. What with all of these Java exploits and crap like Red October floating around, it's suicide to ignore being proactive now, but I'm sure some will still roll the dice and get totally dominated by some Chinese or eastern bloc hackers before they learn their lesson.

In the corporate world I have a feeling many CFO's would rather sink money into Remote Desktop / Citrix, so it will likely become more popular due to a money play. Run a stripped down OS like *nix or network boot that auto connects. Application whitelisting will also get some play.

· Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree. We are incorporating Win8 for the desktop with a third party start menu at work. I am one of the last holdouts for XP. I have the option of using many operating systems, if only for testing reasons. We have two distinct networks for research and corporate. We keep the two separated pretty good. Citrix is becoming more and more dominate in the marketplace. We make good use of their Xen XT product. Java is becoming more and more of a nuisance each day. You need it for many applications, but it's got more holes that a strainer.

· M.I.A.
1,475 Posts
I quit holding out and went Mac four years ago. I run a MBP that has parallels installed, from there I run VM's for windows, and do also bootcamp to Windows 7 to play the one game series every once in awhile. And yes, NO java. I minimize Jave installs as much as possible on user workstations.

· Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I quit holding out and went Mac four years ago. I run a MBP that has parallels installed, from there I run VM's for windows, and do also bootcamp to Windows 7 to play the one game series every once in awhile. And yes, NO java. I minimize Jave installs as much as possible on user workstations.
I had a MAC Mini at my last position. Used it to run some network monitoring software. I like Linux and like I said I run Win7 in a VM using Xen. Java as little as possible, but there are a lot of Cisco apps I need to run that need Java. My company IT department doesn't put Java on anything unless absolutely necessary.

And your Win8 opinion?

· M.I.A.
1,475 Posts
My opinion currently is that Win 8 = Vista right now. But I say that with the caveat that I'm waiting for Windows Blue to be released then I'll re-evaluate. Vista did get better too, but by then the damage was done and Win 7 was just around the corner. Too bad the economy tanked around that time, otherwise I think a lot of companies would have been more willing to ditch XP for 7.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.