Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting the itch to purchase my first lever action 30-30. Thought I wanted a Winchester Model 94 Traditional CW until I handled one at the local shop followed my a Marlin 336C. I am new to lever actions but have been reading up on them. The recurring theme I read is that Winchester quality went down the tubes some years ago. The one I checked out looked and felt cheap next to Marlin. I could not cycle the actions.

I am interested in getting opinions of others concerning the choice between these guns.

Thanks !

·
Registered
9 Posts
<I work on gun. I have had both come into my shop. The marlin just fits better, and seems to be a stronger gun, parts are more available, and simpler to work on.
peter_<

·
Registered
780 Posts
I've owned both models, prefer the Marlins.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Winchester 94 and has been very reliable. I have droped it in the mud, been rained on, etc. and just keeps on working like new and is very accurate.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Originally posted by buzzer@Sep 15 2004, 07:24 PM
The recurring theme I read is that Winchester quality went down the tubes some years ago. The one I checked out looked and felt cheap next to Marlin. I could not cycle the actions.
If your dealer won't let you try the actions on his rifles, I'd recommend a different dealer. At least part of your decision should be based on the feel of the gun and its action. You will shoot better with a gun that feels natural when shouldered and aimed.
Winchester didn't give up strength or accuracy in 1964, just modified their manufacturing processes to keep prices reasonable. Compared to the hand-fitted pre-'64 guns, the post-'64's feel "cheap." However, they seem a bit better when compared to similarly priced guns from other manufacturers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was just in the local Bass Pro store which is a large camping and outdoor store - Wal-Mart sized. I was not even there to look at guns - I was trying to buy batteries and propane (I live in Florida).

They have a gun counter and sell a lot of hunting rifles, shotguns and supplies. All their lever actions are held shut with wire ties. They are not really a gun shop.

There is a show coming up in my area. The dealers there usually have a good selection of lever actions, and are more accommodating. The prices are better too. If I buy one, it would probably be at the show. I will take a closer look at a Winchester but I am pretty sure my choice will be Marlin.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've owned both and found them both to be fine rifles. The Winchester seem to have more quality issues from rifle to rifle than Marlin, which seems to be more consistent. I used to have a Winchester .44 mag, but the accuracy was so bad I got rid of it.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
I have owned both makes over the past 25 years, one of my Winchesters was a cheapo from the early '80's, sold around here for less than $100 in those days. It was fine but a top ejector. Never had a problem but I take very good care of my rifles. My 336 Marlin was a Caddy of the lever guns. This fall I fianlly made a purchase of a new levergun, a .45-70 guide model by Marlin. It has fine quality and is a great gun! The only thing I don't like about the Marlins is their sights. My Marlin will be host to a new ghost ring set up soon, I didn't buy it for open ground so no scope is planned but Marlins are tapped if you so desire. Buy a Marlin and you won't be disapointed. :usa:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
April 1972, my father purchased a Winchester model 94 Lone Star Commemorative 30-30.
January 1985, I purchased a standard Winchester model 94 30-30.
I ask my father to get out his model 94 since I had not seen it in a nunber of years, so I could lay both guns side by side to compare them.
The next day, I traded off my Winchester for something else; it did not even begin to compare to my father's Winchester Commemorative. :(

A few month's back, I noticed a number of these Lone Star Commemoratives for sale on the GunsAmerica website; some new & priced as low as $350; and almost purchased another, for in my opinion, that is one heck of a gun for the money.
(I inherited my father's Lone Star Commemorative, a few years back.)
Anyway, I just checked the site again and although none are currently listed quite so cheap, I still feel this is where I would go to purchase a 30-30.

I would assume, the other Winchester Commemoratives are of as high a quality as the Lone Star.

You can find them here . . .

http://www.gunsamerica.com/2680/2680-random-1.htm

:D

Of those currently listed, this is the one in which I would personally inquire:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976485734.htm

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Gotta go with Marlin. As a kid, I learned how to shoot with a Model 39A Mountie .22 Carbine that my father owned and liked it so much I bought my own Model 39AS as an adult. Marlins are just classy and classy feeling in your hands. Its the coolest levergun out there.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I own many Marlins and Winchesters.......here's what I think.

Winchester 1895 is the Rolls Royce of levers
Marlin 336 is the Cadilac
Winchester 94 is the hard working old reliable pick-up truck

That being said, I myself carry a Winchester 94 in .44mag when I go camping. reason why I carry that instead of my Marlin 336 is simple. The winchester is lighter and slimmer. But both are great guns and accuracy and craftmanship ar on par with each other.

Levers that I have:

Winchester 1895 Original in .30 US GOVT-1906
Winchester 1894 in .30WCF
Winchester 94 in .44 Mag.
Marlin 336 CS in .30-30
Marlin 336 SC in .35 Rem.
Marlin 39A in .22

either way Winchester or Marlin, you'll love it....buy both if and when you have a chance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've got a Marlin 336 and its a great shooter. My only complaint came once I replaced the wood stock ( wrist crack ) with a synthetic. That made it too light for my liking. But $3 worth of pennies and 1/2 lb. hi-temp wax in the butt took care of that. And for being about 15 yrs., its in better shape tightness wise than the Winnies I've looked at.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
:eek:
i have always had win lever rifles, i have none now. my next one will be marlin. three main reasons: better selection, better workmanship/quality, side ejection port. :eek: :beer: :usa:
:cool:

·
Federal Firearms Licensed
736 Posts
I have the marlin 336C, in 30.30, with a nice bushnell scope and I love it. It is smooth, and decent trigger pull, fits well, isn't too heavy. I don't have problems packing it around on my shoulder while deer hunting, and it is a blast to blow sutff up with. I have read a lot about them, and it doesn't seem like anyone can touch them in the large bore lever guns. My opionion based on personal use and literature. (national rifleman did an article on them last month) Mark :ar15:

·
Registered
94 Posts
SKS does the same job, plus others, for 1/2 the money, and 1/4 the ammo cost. Let the lever join the SA revolver in its proper place (as an expensive plinker). Corbon's 150 gr softpoing load in 7.62x39 is 2400 fps, every bit as powerful and with a longer range (due to having a pointed bullet) than the 30-30 offers. So why pay 30+c a shot for practice ammo, when you can pay 8c a shot or less?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Originally posted by R&R.45@Mar 16 2005, 06:38 AM
SKS does the same job, plus others, for 1/2 the money, and 1/4 the ammo cost. Let the lever join the SA revolver in its proper place (as an expensive plinker). Corbon's 150 gr softpoing load in 7.62x39 is 2400 fps, every bit as powerful and with a longer range (due to having a pointed bullet) than the 30-30 offers. So why pay 30+c a shot for practice ammo, when you can pay 8c a shot or less?
Funny, I consider the SKS an expensive plinker (compared to any .22). Cost is not necessarily the defining factor in shooting. I enjoyed shooting my Sharps .45/110 although the empty brass in this caliber ran about $3.00 each (that's right, $60 for a box of 20 empties).
You forget there are places where a semi-auto is illegal for hunting (like right here in Pennsylvania).
There are other places where a semi-auto rifle is just plain illegal.
In such places, a lever gun is a good alternative to a military-type rifle. Most people don't get upset when they see a lever gun ("Aww, he's got a cowboy gun!") vs. seeing a military semi-auto ("Is that one of those 'militias' or is it a terrorist?"). Sad but true, the antigun liberal media has successfully demonized military semi-autos in most peoples'minds.
Also, simply because a gun like a SA revolver or a lever action rifle is "obsolete" doesn't mean it's ineffective for self-defense or hunting. Your SKS might be considered by some to be just as passe as the 19th century weapons you mentioned.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts