Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a NIB Winchester 1892 Deluxe Take-Down in 44-40, 20" barrel with a nicely checked pistol grip stock. Yes, it was made in Japan and very expensive. It has a three digit serial number. I am under the impression only 500 were made in this caliber.

I rarely shoot and I am not much of a collector. This rifle just really appealed to me. I could not resist. I am not really happy with the Japenese references marked on the gun and also the introduction of a tang safety, But then again, I am not all that upset with them. The gun's quality is exceptional. I am very pleased. I think it looks as good as any pre 64 Winchester I have seen. Rock solid and smoooooooooth action. I does make me wonder if Japan may be the last manufacturing location to avoid excessive costs and regulations. China? OMG

I also bought three boxes of Winchester brand 44 40 WCF lead bullet
"Cowboy Ammo".

If I ever should start shooting this rifle, will I experience barrel leading with this "Cowboy Ammo"? If so, would a jacketed bullet fired every so often clean the barrel out ???

Thanks so much,

RodneyE

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Winchester cowboy ammo is loaded pretty slow so leading will be minimal. If you want shoot some jacketed rounds through to smooth out any rough spots before shooting more lead rounds. That'll cut down some on the leading. Otherwise just run a brass brush down the barrel followed by wipes and you should be good to go. Also you can load some Oregon Trail cast bullets for it. They're a lot harder than most and leave little to no leading plus loading your own will save you alot of $ so you can shoot more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Larryp..

Thanks so much for the info. Maybe I am being too careful, but this gun deserves the very best I can do for it!!! I am sure you know the feeling.

RodneyE

·
Registered
106 Posts
The Model '92 is just a genuine, all around nice rifle. The rounded receiver makes them comfortable to carry (vs. the 1894 squared) and actions are usually as smooth as butter. Just took a '92 takedown mfd in 1896, caliber .38-40, in trade at the Duluth Gun Show yesterday. I can't wait to shoot it. As Barnes says in his COW book (Ctg of the World) ~ "The .44-40 has killed more game, large and small, and more people, good and bad, than any other commercial cartridge."

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks RCRBanjo

I am no expert as you can surely tell, but it amazes me that when I went to Walmart, Gander Mt and Cabelas this morning looking for 44-40 WCF ammo the salesmen just gave me a blank stare. I finally did find (by myself) three boxes of the Wincester cowboy ammo at Cabelas. Now I just ordered some jacketed ones from Midway on the net. I really would like to deal with a local store but they make it sort of tough.

RodneyE

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can I test your patience just a mite longer.

I just discovered a 2009 exclusive offer advestisement from Davidson's. Same model number 53415414, three digit serial numbers up to 501 for each caliber (44-40 and 45LC), colorful Winchester box and certificate of authenticity (what is that?). MSRP $1,874.95. ouch!!! Davidson was asking $1,289.99.

Mine came in a plain white box, no certificate of authenticity, but did include a cable with key lock to secure the lever. I paid $1,450 which was really high but seems in line with the Davison 2009 offer.

I called Winchester to check my serial number 00xxxMP92A. The guy I talked to was not too sure but speculated my rifle was part of the Davidson batch. He would not comment further.

How a rifle can still be circulating NIB after 3+ years and have shed the Davison label? Maybe it is just simply the high price or the Japan moniker scared buyers off and Davidson decided to wholesale their remaining inventory.???????

Comments????

RodneyE

·
Registered
106 Posts
You're opening a purty big can of worms here and much beer can be drank over this. If a manufacturer over built it's very possible that a firearm could be in the warehouse for years. It's happened often. Japanese, etc., manufactured items have a stigma to many buyers, although often the quality is first class. The can of worms becomes larger when you discuss why so many of our old American manufacturers have been chased off shore. Many reasons. Sad. I also play and collect banjos and the stigma of an Asian banjo is even worse than in firearms. The certificate of authenticity is a sales gimmick imho. I've collected firearms made in the "short" calibers; .44-40, .38-40, .32-20 and .25-20 for nearly 40 years now and you can't help but have alot of phun with them. FWIW.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RCRBanjo ........Many thanks again

I am really glad this was "left over". In my opinion it could not be better quality. The local dealer did not say where he got it. However, he did say there was another one available in 38-40 that he also wanted me to buy.

My wife was with me. I am still in SHOCK since she kept insisting I buy both of them as an investment!!! That would have been a little too rich for my blood. Geessshh She can be full of surprises but this one takes the cake!! She seems ok but I am keeping an eye on her!! ha ha

RodneyH

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys but I just cannot seem to let this alone!!

I have been all over the internet trying to find some reported "flaws" in the Miroku production that would discourage a buyer. The only problem seems to be the Miroku label instead of USA. (Reminds me of my Buick that I bought new in 1985 cause it was "American". After a few months I swore I would never again go the "big three" way.)

Many Miroku Winchester owners praised fit, finish and quality. A few cited improved metallurgy, advanced new CNC equipment, and the use of coil as opposed to leaf springs in the action. One comment was that the Miroku guns are forged as opposed to the Hartford post 1964 production. A few even speculated the new guns are even better than the originals going back to 1892. I would be especially grateful if someone would comment on these factors.!!!

One last point. Yep, the Miroku's are expensive. But it seems every time I buy based on price I am not satisfied and eventually buy what I really wanted in the first place. That costs me even more.

Again, thanks for putting up with me.

RodneyE

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't have one of the Miroku 92 clones but I do have a Browning BLR which is made by them also and it's one of the nicest rifles I've ever owned plus extremely accurate. I would expect their 92 models to be of similar quality.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blackhawk44 I stand corrected ... must have been some bad information I read. Howa is still Japanese I think.

RodneyE

·
Registered
106 Posts
Got a chance to shoot the 1892 .38-40 Takedown model and it was above my expectations. Very accurate! We have an extended deer season here in Northern Wisconsin so I handloaded a batch of ammo last night and plan using it this coming weekend. Maybe the turdy point buck is still out there!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RCRBanjo.....

Remember the 38-40 I mentioned above that the dealer AND MY WIFE wanted me to buy?

WEELLLL my wife mentioned it again to me (surprises will NEVER cease!!). So I called the dealer to see if it was still available. I was really surprised to learn it was available!!!

To made a long story short, the 38-40 is on its way to me. It is a 24" barrel as opposed to 20" for the 44-40. Same take-down model. I understand only 250 were made in 38-40.

I am half way between buyer's regret and thinking this was a great move! OHH WELL toooooo late now.

RodneyE

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think you're a purty lucky guy! Put a Lyman or Marble tang sight on that and you'll be well dressed in the woods!

Best regards,

Andy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I apologize for going on and on about my recent purchases (but I cannot help it!! :rolleyes:)

My 38-40 24" barrel is in hand and the quality is again top of drawer.

I have no idea what I am going to do with these two babies other than just sit and appreciate them.

The Japanese may not be able to own firearms (how dumb) but they sure know how to make them.

I am still surprised these 2009 - 2010 manufacturered guns were still in NIB circulation. If the Japanese label was a turn off, I think that was so very short sighted. Quality workmanship should be recognized regardless of where it came from.

ok ok , I will clam up. ha ha

thanks for putting up with me.

RodneyE

ps I have told my wife this is my very last big ticket (for me) purchase. Does that sound familiar to anyone?????? ;)

·
M.I.A.
1,474 Posts
I apologize for going on and on about my recent purchases (but I cannot help it!! :rolleyes:)

My 38-40 24" barrel is in hand and the quality is again top of drawer.

I have no idea what I am going to do with these two babies other than just sit and appreciate them.

The Japanese may not be able to own firearms (how dumb) but they sure know how to make them.

I am still surprised these 2009 - 2010 manufacturered guns were still in NIB circulation. If the Japanese label was a turn off, I think that was so very short sighted. Quality workmanship should be recognized regardless of where it came from.

ok ok , I will clam up. ha ha

thanks for putting up with me.

RodneyE

ps I have told my wife this is my very last big ticket (for me) purchase. Does that sound familiar to anyone?????? ;)
Which is more expensive, your guns or her shoes? ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Miroku and Howa

I have a Win/miroku 92 trapper take down (16") in 357 mag and I love that rifle. American design and Toyota quality,you can not get a better team. It was VERY expensive but uses cheap ammo and it compliments my SW 686:D

Also have a Howa 1500 in 308 kitted with a Knox Axiom stock, Zeiss glass and a suppressor and this makes for a wicked long distance piece

·
M.I.A.
1,474 Posts
Sounds nice, Normac.

I didn't know they made a take-down in .357 Mag. How is the accuracy on it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts