Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if the wood handguard off an older-series Mini (before Ruger started using the fatter barrels) will clip onto a 582-series barrel? The wood, itself, fits over the barrel, but the spring clip on the older handguard is clearly smaller. I just don't know if the clip will spring open enough to fit the barrel without breaking the clip or damaging the barrel. Anybody tried it?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Nope, it won't. Send it to me.

:lol: Seriously, though, several members have put old Ruger handguards on their newer Ranch Rifles.

Even Choate only sells one handguard for Minis of all generations.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
. . .Even Choate only sells one handguard for Minis of all generations.
That's interesting (and encouraging) that Choate uses the same-size spring clip on all its Mini14/30 handguards. I checked Choate's website but couldn't find the dimensions on this universal clip. According to my unsophisticated, Harbor Freight analog calipers, the older-model Ruger clip has an inside diameter of 5/8" and the newer clip has an inside diameter of ¾" - so, the newer clip is 20% larger than the older clip. That seems like a lot of stretching for the smaller clip to expand to the same, fully expanded dimension as the larger clip. But hey, what do I know, the clip may not mind. Still, something made Ruger go to a larger clip for the fatter barrels. Does anybody know whether Choate uses the smaller clip, the larger clip, or something in-between? Just trying to cover all the bases.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The plot thickens: I just called Choate and the person I spoke with had a fellow worker measure the clip on one of the Mini14 handguards. It measured .76". So Choate's spring clips are closer in size to Ruger's newer, larger spring clips. I guess the larger clips can clamp down enough to hold onto the smaller barrels of the earlier Minis. I was hoping the info I got from Choate would confirm the other scenario -- that the smaller clip would expand enough to fit the larger, newer barrels. This doesn't mean that they won't; it just doesn't confirm that they will. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Personally, I'd clip it on there and not worry about it. It takes some work to break spring steel...

But, if you're worried about it, why not pry the clip enough to open it up to something closer to 3/4"?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
. . . why not pry the clip enough to open it up to something closer to 3/4"?
That may just be the perfect solution. I'll have to see if I can do that. The problem with spring steel is that it wants to retain its original shape. So to get it to stay open 3/4", I'll have to open it much more than 3/4" initially so that it comes back to 3/4" open at rest. I don't know if there is enough room in the handguard (which it is still attached to) to permit that. I sure don't want to break the handguard by opening the spring clip too far and creating a pulling force on the rivet in the process. It will be interesting to see.

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
Personally, I'd clip it on there and not worry about it. It takes some work to break spring steel...

But, if you're worried about it, why not pry the clip enough to open it up to something closer to 3/4"?
That may be true enough, but if the profile of the barrel is different, won't there be a physical interference that will keep the handguard from seating flush with the buttstock? :unsure: :unsure:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wood Handgaurd

Does anybody know if the wood handguard off an older-series Mini (before Ruger started using the fatter barrels) will clip onto a 582-series barrel? The wood, itself, fits over the barrel, but the spring clip on the older handguard is clearly smaller. I just don't know if the clip will spring open enough to fit the barrel without breaking the clip or damaging the barrel. Anybody tried it?
Where can I get a wood handguard?
Thanks
R/Chris Woods

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I don't have a 580+ series to measure, as my 3 Mini's are older. But I would think the barrel diameter just ahead of the chamber where the clip snaps on would be the same on all Mini's, most differences occur beyond the gas block, do they not ?

·
large member
2,089 Posts
hmmm....just a thought here.

but i think it could be made to fit, one way or the other.

my newest hand guard didn't quite fit. i persuaded it to fit. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts