Perfect Union banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an older Mini 14 tactical with an ATI factory folding stock on it. I would like to replace it with a fixed stock. Will a Mini 30 synthetic stock fit it ?

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Yes, the stocks are interchangeable.

Reactions: 40nascar

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
PF, I think not, or at least not a great fit. Mini-30's mag well is a bit wider. But you can get a Ruger synthetic stock for the '14 for about $56 from Midway or Brownells or a few other vendors, and a Ruger factory wood stock for your Mini for about $100 (note that the newer Ruger wood stocks are about 1/2 pound heavier than their synthetic stocks and about a 3/4" longer LOP. E-Bay also has plenty of Ruger Mini-14 stocks. If you prefer wood, you might want to get the older Mini-14 stocks (with the curved butt plate): same LOP as the synthetics and a tad lighter than the newer wood stocks. Perhaps someone who has tried to do what you would like to do can chime in.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
If you look at Midway, they advertise the stocks as mini 14/30, usually the magwell bracket would be different.

ruger mini 14 - MidwayUSA

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I "bought" (from a member here, paid shipping only) a Mini-30 synthetic stock for my 580-series Mini-14 (which came wearing an OEM synthetic stock anyway) years ago. I can't remember now what I bought it for, but I had some specific project in mind...

The Mini-14 will fit into the Mini-30 stock, but, as discussed above, the mag well is a bit loose for Mini-14 magazines. Keep in mind, though, that the trigger group has "ears" on it which help stabilize the magazine when seated.

Personally, I couldn't get over the gap between the Mini-30 mag well and the magazine "ears" on the Mini-14 trigger group (not unsightly, and no one else noticed, but I did and it drove me nuts -- kind of like that door ding on my Jeep...). I gave the stock away to another member here 6 months later.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
As said, the stock will fit, but there will be a gap on either side of the mag well bracket.
Just get a synthetic stock from Midway or Brownell's made for Mini-14, and it will come with the necessary hardware.
Good move to ditch the ATI folder and go with the Ruger synthetic. I've tried most of the stocks out there, and the Ruger synthetic has become my favorite.
It's light, stiff, trim, and grippy only where you need it to be ( the checkering).
Only thing I don't like about it is it only comes on black. It would be great if Ruger would make them available in O/D. Green, Tan/Brown and Grey.
I put Cerakote on my stock when I did the metal in Cerakote.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As said, the stock will fit, but there will be a gap on either side of the mag well bracket.
Just get a synthetic stock from Midway or Brownell's made for Mini-14, and it will come with the necessary hardware.
Good move to ditch the ATI folder and go with the Ruger synthetic. I've tried most of the stocks out there, and the Ruger synthetic has become my favorite.
It's light, stiff, trim, and grippy only where you need it to be ( the checkering).
Only thing I don't like about it is it only comes on black. It would be great if Ruger would make them available in O/D. Green, Tan/Brown and Grey.
I put Cerakote on my stock when I did the metal in Cerakote.

What type of rail is on the mini on the right? Also, isthat a Burris Fast Fire on it?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Ultimak railed hand guard and FastFiire III
The Ultimak is s great place for a red dot or long eye relief scope, gets the optic nice and low where it should be, and the optic is completely out of the way of the action and ejecting brass.
Even if you never plan to put an optic on the Ultimak, it helps stiffen the barrel ( not needed as much on a Tactical as a skinny barrel) and will help keep the barrel cooler by drawing heat away.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
That is a nice looking stock!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts