Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
306 Posts
Funny how the military newsreel on this clip reports that the M14 is a "lightweight shoulder weapon" and Chris Baker says it's not. Of course, Baker is correct.
Huh?
My Army issue weapon was the M14.
If someone can't manage the 10 pounds (loaded) weight he or she needs to do more pushups.

· Registered
5,858 Posts
Huh?
My Army issue weapon was the M14.
If someone can't manage the 10 pounds (loaded) weight he or she needs to do more pushups.
Hi Rice!
Stage-IV prostate cancer for 12 years guy here. Have gone from 170# in good shape to struggling to get up to 115#. Weight is a HUGE factor for me. Push-ups are really not an option for me unless I have someone else help me up. Zero "T".

I liked the M14 in ROTC, hated the M16 during my 22+ years of active military service. To be sure, my oldest brother (during two tours in RVN) had the distinct option to carry the M14 rather than the M16, which he did. He didn't prefer ease of carrying over the firepower, being an infantryman.

Now - at almost 70 - weight is a huge factor and my Minis are very right for me. I've gone to lighter stocks with a shorter LOP, and that has helped a LOT!

I can't manage 10# loaded. Just me, but there are some of us out there where two # makes a difference. Still love the M14, but I'm no longer up to carrying it. I don't hunt.

· Formerly "raf"
4,263 Posts
Hi Rice!
Stage-IV prostate cancer for 12 years guy here. Have gone from 170# in good shape to struggling to get up to 115#. Weight is a HUGE factor for me. Push-ups are really not an option for me unless I have someone else help me up. Zero "T".

I liked the M14 in ROTC, hated the M16 during my 22+ years of active military service. To be sure, my oldest brother (during two tours in RVN) had the distinct option to carry the M14 rather than the M16, which he did. He didn't prefer ease of carrying over the firepower, being an infantryman.

Now - at almost 70 - weight is a huge factor and my Minis are very right for me. I've gone to lighter stocks with a shorter LOP, and that has helped a LOT!

I can't manage 10# loaded. Just me, but there are some of us out there where two # makes a difference. Still love the M14, but I'm no longer up to carrying it. I don't hunt.
My respects and all best wishes!

· Registered
18 Posts
Hi Rice!

Be a good thing if you would google dog dewormer for cancer and also high dose vitamin c given IV. Both have saved lives by killing cancer. Fenbendazole is cheap, not sure about the Vitamin c treatment, but it should be cheap compared to the stuff they normally do. Good luck on getting better.

· Formerly "raf"
4,263 Posts
I thought he was a bit harsh, but I wouldn't exactly call it a "hit piece". Most folks on this forum have learned how to modify their Mins to yield better performance than the stock models offer. I doubt the author of the vid has the depth and breadth of knowledge about Minis as do many experienced folks in this forum. He was giving "first impressions" on his part in the second vid, as opposed from what some experienced folks have been able to achieve with a few tweaks. Not trying to defend his opinions, just providing context.

As to his complaints about reliability, I can't speak to that issue, but a thorough cleaning and proper lubing right out of the box, which he did not perform (as stated in the second vid), might have helped. Also, he did not mention whether or not he used/tried multiple mags, nor their mfr.

If anyone has issues with his opinions, suggest finding the vid on Youtube, and adding polite and pertinent comments to it.

ETA: sent to Lucky Gunner as a comment on his second Mini vid:

"Some comments:
1) It would have been extremely useful had you given the Mini-14 a total and 100% cleaning, inside and out, and properly lubed it BEFORE testing. Ruger seems to spray their firearms with a preservative which can be problematic until removed.

2) Some Ruger wooden stocks may be of wider internal dimensions than later-made synthetic stocks, thus detracting from accuracy. In any event, if the fit of the stock is loose, some careful shimming with thin plastic shims can work wonders for accuracy.

3) IIRC, I don't recall your mentioning whether multiple magazines were used, nor their manufacturer. I have found that OEM Ruger mags usually work best in the Mini, but there are Ruger mag lemons, as with any product.

To sum, I believe that your second vid is a bit lacking, and unduly harsh in some respects, notably "Reliability".

I own a number of ARs, some of them are "higher-end" units. Given same-length barrel, and possibly some inexpensive user-made tweaks, the Mini-14 will do respectably against them.

As far as reliability goes, a well-cleaned and properly lubed Mini, and assuming it is mechanically sound as most are, will be as reliable as most ARs. Properly functioning mags DO make a difference.

All best wishes, and I look forward to a follow-up report on the Mini at some point."

· Registered
5,858 Posts
I thought he was a bit harsh, but I wouldn't exactly call it a "hit piece". Most folks on this forum have learned how to modify their Mins to yield better performance than the stock models offer. I doubt the author of the vid has the depth and breadth of knowledge about Minis as do many experienced folks in this forum. He was giving "first impressions" on his part in the second vid, as opposed from what some experienced folks have been able to achieve with a few tweaks. Not trying to defend his opinions, just providing context.

As to his complaints about reliability, I can't speak to that issue, but a thorough cleaning and proper lubing right out of the box, which he did not perform (as stated in the second vid), might have helped. Also, he did not mention whether or not he used/tried multiple mags, nor their mfr.

If anyone has issues with his opinions, suggest finding the vid on Youtube, and adding polite and pertinent comments to it.

ETA: sent to Lucky Gunner as a comment on his second Mini vid:

"Some comments:
1) It would have been extremely useful had you given the Mini-14 a total and 100% cleaning, inside and out, and properly lubed it BEFORE testing. Ruger seems to spray their firearms with a preservative which can be problematic until removed.

2) Some Ruger wooden stocks may be of wider internal dimensions than later-made synthetic stocks, thus detracting from accuracy. In any event, if the fit of the stock is loose, some careful shimming with thin plastic shims can work wonders for accuracy.

3) IIRC, I don't recall your mentioning whether multiple magazines were used, nor their manufacturer. I have found that OEM Ruger mags usually work best in the Mini, but there are Ruger mag lemons, as with any product.

To sum, I believe that your second vid is a bit lacking, and unduly harsh in some respects, notably "Reliability".

I own a number of ARs, some of them are "higher-end" units. Given same-length barrel, and possibly some inexpensive user-made tweaks, the Mini-14 will do respectably against them.

As far as reliability goes, a well-cleaned and properly lubed Mini, and assuming it is mechanically sound as most are, will be as reliable as most ARs. Properly functioning mags DO make a difference.

All best wishes, and I look forward to a follow-up report on the Mini at some point."
I'd call it a "hit piece".

Agree with your post, RI, otherwise. I have owned Mini-14s since 1980 and have NEVER had any problems or hints of a problem whatsoever, and they have been as accurate as one would ever want as a carbine. Expectations beyond a carbine use are of no interest to me - I have bolt guns for that...

My nephew has a high-end gas-piston Sig that I have shot and it is nice, but to me it is like having sex with a canvas condom: gets the job done, but with less satisfaction.

· Registered
68 Posts
I cant say that I've ever bought a rifle that didnt need a proper cleaning and lube out of the box, my former AR being no exception. That said, my Mini out of the box was a dirty bugger.

Most of the 'dumb' stuff that happens on Mini's is quickly identifiable, and generally easy to correct. An AR, when its having a bad day, can be a lot harder to pin down what its problem is and where.

Magazines... geezus. A lot of mags need to be setup and tweaked for general use. My gawd, take the time. I've had AR mags that fed perfectly in some rifles, and not others. Mini's are no different.

SO, they didnt waste any time modifying their Mini with that Samson rail. Whats the gas-block torqued to? Alignment even? Bushing length checked?

Swapping stocks... 'nuf said.

G

· Registered
5,858 Posts
Griff:
Torquing the gas block is a science all in itself, but generally about 25-30 INCH-pounds does the trick, as long as it is uniform (cross loosening/tightening as with a car wheel). The key thing is an even gap between the upper and lower halves fore-and-aft and port-and-starboard. An old spark-plug gap gauge helps (as well as justification to NEVER throw anything out!). I've had two NIB Minis that were off and addressed that before first firing.

Yes, Ruger ships with a LOT of gunk. I used either compressed brake (or carb) cleaner to get that crap out, along with compressed air (wear goggles outside). Other firearms I've gotten also have gunk, but Ruger seems to be the master at that. It is important to clean out all that gunk before first firing as it bakes in and gets more difficult to clean. I have a WW-II/Korean War M1 Carbine that has baked-in Cosmoline, and cleaning that out is nigh-near impossible.

As far as the bushing, first shoot a new Mini a bit and that will tell you what size is best (and it may change over time). My recommendation is to get a set of differing sizes, as the cost of shipping (the greatest part of the total cost) is the same whether you get one or four sizes. As your Mini wears in, the size needs might change. I have a Tactical model (16.5" barrel) and a standard Ranch model (18.5" barrel) and they would benefit with two different bushings (mostly due to barrel length). I bought a "set", so I can use one of the set for the Tactical and another one of that same set for the standard Ranch.

There is a member on this forum (Lee Hadaway at the "Arms Room") that makes them to order and knows a LOT about Mini-14s. He has been great.

Hope this helps!

· Registered
68 Posts
Griff:
Hope this helps!
Tell me something I dont know, lol ;)

My only point was, what did the LG guys do, didnt do, etc, before condemning the Mini. The impression I took away from the vid, is that a bit of care and due diligence wasnt necessarily applied in certain aspects. Maybe it was, I dont know... hence all reasonable questions I would ask the LG guys if I cared to.

G

· Formerly "raf"
4,263 Posts
Many interesting comments made here in this tiny forum.

If you want to make your comments actually meaningful suggest making polite and pointed comments on Lucky Gunner's Youtube site in response to his second Mini vid.

If not, you are only "preaching to the choir", and your comments not heard.

Speak UP or shut up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts