Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 223 556 reloads will not feed they will not feed from the mag then sometimes they won't extract I have had this problem on two difrent guns and 3 different types of mags my buddy even had one jam in his chamber the bolt was stuck forward but not all the way forward had to send to gunsmith to get it out. I am using mixed head stamp 556 223 cleaned polished. Lee dies with factory crimp on a*Lee*press. Useing alient ar comp powder 22 grn.Hornady 55gr fmjbt with cantiluer. Bullet is seated to the middle of the cantiluer. Any thoughts or suggestions

·
Registered
800 Posts
Several Issues ... Might Be Just One Problem

Might be a couple of issues here. The first is that your hand loads seem not to feed from your mags? This might be important. The second issue is that the cases appear to get stuck in the chamber and will not extract? They might be related. Might not.

Are you full length resizing the brass? Is the brass being fired in one rifle, reloaded and attempted to be fired in another rifle of a different type? Chamber sizes do vary somewhat, but not enough to be a major factor here. Probably not in this case.

Are you inspecting overall case length? Usually not a concern, unless the brass has been reloaded several times. Then the cases tend to stretch and need to be trimmed back to a critical overall length. 2.00 inch comes to mind, but this is a memory only.

First question; Are your cases in fact 5.56x45? Is your rifle chambered for the same? Are you cases commercial .223? Chamber of rifle? Usually there is so little difference between the two that both can be safely interchanged around. But ... differences occur.

My best first guess, (only a guess) is that the cases are not being full length resized and then are being passed around from gun to gun with different chamber sizes. Not a whole lot, but enough that a bad combination of factors compound themselves.

Back to the rounds not stripping from the mags. The cases ARE .223 or 5.56x45? Mistakes happen. Example; A .222 Rem case sometimes will blow out to the point where extraction is a problem if fired in a .223. Many other examples. Easy fixes.

Consider always full length resizing .223 or 5.56 cases if they are going to be put through a AR15. Especially different AR15s. Also consider watching overall case length. They do stretch. Very non likely you have a chamber problem with your rifle.

Possible but very non likely. I have seen cracked AR15 barrel extensions caused by non correct barrel installations, but very rare. This will let the chamber become non spec., causing sticking cases. Hope all of this helps kinda. PEM me if you want to.

HB of CJ (old coot) hundreds of AR15 builds and uncounted beater M16 rebuilds, but long ago and far away and nobody cares today any how including me so there you have it. You have a unique rather unusual situation. I think it has to deal with the reloading.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I trim my cases after every shot so it can't be that I'm Useing a Lee full length sizing die I'm am using mixed head stamp brass some lc some fed some pmc and some other assorted brands 223 and 556 it does it not matter wich one i use none work. no same batch of reloads in two separate brand new guns one sig m400 one spikes . I also just purchased a sig 516 I haven't fired any through it yet I'm kinda scared to till I fix the problem.what do you mean by bulging case during the factory crimp.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
KISS (Keep It Simple S)
One step at a time
Using a single case & bullet (primer and powder not needed):
How does a sized case (only) chamber?
Does it slide out of the mag OK?
After the bullet is seated (NO CRIMP) how does it chamber?
How does it feed from the mag?
Now crimp your test round and see how it chambers (& feeds)

Using a Sharpie, color the entire case, chamber it, and after extracting it see where the marking is rubbed off / thin.

At no time in the above testing should you let the bolt slam home (hand close it gently).
BTW, all the above diagnostics is covered in your loading manual.

·
Draw, Varmint!
778 Posts
You have to be careful whenever using a Lee, 'squeezer' Factory Crimp Die. If the compression is too great then the brass will actually bulge the moment pressure is released and the cartridge case will remain expanded and not return to spec.

There are two (easy) ways to go with the 5.56: RCBS sells both of them: Either get yourself a set of, 'small based' semi-auto rifle dies, or pick up a set of, 'X-Dies' for the 5.56.

RCBS X-Die 2-Die Set 223 Remington

RCBS AR Series Small Base 2-Die Set Taper Crimp 223 Remington

Not feeding from the magazine has me puzzled? How are your magazine lips, spring, and follower? The only other thing I'd want to know is the shoulder configuration on your chamber? Is it 5.56, or 223 Rem? Because you're having extraction problems with unfired, but, fully sized cartridges I think your factory crimp isn't properly adjusted.

Reactions: BWM

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I'm gana try that. I'm Useing brand new p mags so I wouldn't think it would be the lip all my guns are in 556 on the barrel how Do I find out about the chamber shoulder.

·
Registered
209 Posts
KISS (Keep It Simple S)
One step at a time
Using a single case & bullet (primer and powder not needed):
How does a sized case (only) chamber?
Does it slide out of the mag OK?
After the bullet is seated (NO CRIMP) how does it chamber?
How does it feed from the mag?
Now crimp your test round and see how it chambers (& feeds)

Using a Sharpie, color the entire case, chamber it, and after extracting it see where the marking is rubbed off / thin.

At no time in the above testing should you let the bolt slam home (hand close it gently).
BTW, all the above diagnostics is covered in your loading manual.
Tailgunner is right on do what he says and you will fix your problem. :D

·
Registered
800 Posts
Excellent Answers Already Given And Thank You

Nothing to add. Maybe the magazine feeding problem is something different and non related? Do you have some way to precision gage your hand loads? A dial calliper comes to mind. All the other suggestions have very good merit. HB of CJ (old coot)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I have a caliper i set my oal to 2.23 do you think my oal could have something to do with the mag not feeding

·
Registered
800 Posts
I Dunno

Easy to find and pull down the engineering drawings of the 5.56x45 cartridge with all the important critical dimensions. I still think, (do not know) that your problems are hand loading related. Beyond that, I do not know. Might be a dimensional concern with your hand loads caused some how by your particular hand loading procedures and techniques. It will be easy to figure all of this out. Hope this helps kinda. HB of CJ (old coot)

If you have the dial callipers, I would be curious as to how your hand loads measure up to desired sizes and stuff. Long shot here ... what diameter bullets are you using? Also ... another long shot here ... can you check out your chamber? What is your exact head space? Now reaching for low probability causes. Can you try other make mags to see if the feeding problem with your hand loads still occur using different mags?

Personal note here; To max out the accuracy with my trusty Saiga 7.62x51, (308 NATO) AK47, I went ahead and cast the chamber and slugged the barrel. What I found was typical Russian sloppiness. It is also easy to learn up reading lots of stuff about hand loading. I know Dad made me do this way back in about 1963 or so. Lots of important things to understand. Our hand loads were very precision and very accurate. HB

·
Registered
343 Posts
Might be a couple of issues here. The first is that your hand loads seem not to feed from your mags? This might be important. The second issue is that the cases appear to get stuck in the chamber and will not extract? They might be related. Might not.

Are you full length resizing the brass? Is the brass being fired in one rifle, reloaded and attempted to be fired in another rifle of a different type? Chamber sizes do vary somewhat, but not enough to be a major factor here. Probably not in this case.

Are you inspecting overall case length? Usually not a concern, unless the brass has been reloaded several times. Then the cases tend to stretch and need to be trimmed back to a critical overall length. 2.00 inch comes to mind, but this is a memory only.

First question; Are your cases in fact 5.56x45? Is your rifle chambered for the same? Are you cases commercial .223? Chamber of rifle? Usually there is so little difference between the two that both can be safely interchanged around. But ... differences occur.

My best first guess, (only a guess) is that the cases are not being full length resized and then are being passed around from gun to gun with different chamber sizes. Not a whole lot, but enough that a bad combination of factors compound themselves.

Back to the rounds not stripping from the mags. The cases ARE .223 or 5.56x45? Mistakes happen. Example; A .222 Rem case sometimes will blow out to the point where extraction is a problem if fired in a .223. Many other examples. Easy fixes.

Consider always full length resizing .223 or 5.56 cases if they are going to be put through a AR15. Especially different AR15s. Also consider watching overall case length. They do stretch. Very non likely you have a chamber problem with your rifle.

Possible but very non likely. I have seen cracked AR15 barrel extensions caused by non correct barrel installations, but very rare. This will let the chamber become non spec., causing sticking cases. Hope all of this helps kinda. PEM me if you want to.

HB of CJ (old coot) hundreds of AR15 builds and uncounted beater M16 rebuilds, but long ago and far away and nobody cares today any how including me so there you have it. You have a unique rather unusual situation. I think it has to deal with the reloading.
I'd say this is some of the best info ^^^^^^^
But my first thought was the overall length of the cartridge with bullet seated is too long. I did a batch of 45acp once (in a hurry) forgot to recheck length - did 500+ rnds a hair too long - caused feeding problems in a 1911.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I usually stay out of this because it is a whole lot easier if I were there with you.
1. I understand you have a .223 chamber, not 5.56. Avoid (don't) shoot 5.56 in the .223 chamber. It will give you problems down the road.
2. Is your full length (first die) sizing die set so that it is touching the shell plate? If it is not touching the shell plate I would say that is your problem and also the most common problem in reloading.

Lead Foot

·
Registered
11 Posts
My guess is that your sizing die isn't adjusted properly or has come out of adjustment if you weren't having this problem in the past. Consider buying a Sheridan slotted case gauge. I drop every finished round in mine and it'll show you instantly whether a round will feed and/or chamber. It'll also show you exactly where the problem is if there is a problem. They're about $65 but I wouldn't even consider reloading rifle rounds without one.

As far as the problem feeding from your mag, the max case length is 1.760" and I trim back to 1.750" just so I don't have to trim every time. Max OAL is 2.260". Anything greater than that and they won't feed from your mags.

Good luck but check that die setup first.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I use a trim die to reshape any cases suspected of having a bulged shoulder. I set it as low as it will go and if just run the case up into the die. You can feel the drag if the case has been deformed. The cases I tend to deform the most are annealed military cases especially when using flat based bullets but boat tail bullets will deform a case if it's soft enough. kwg

I use this guy here.
RCBS Trim Die 223 Remington

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here

I had the same problems...man is rifle reloading much more complicated (frustrating) than straight wall pistol loading...

I'm using .223 lee dies on a lee loadmaster, 55gn boat tail copper plated bullets for a 5.56 barrel....

My fix was that I was over crimping with the lee factory crimp...my understanding is that you only crimp enough so that the bullet that the bullet is not spinning in the case...that fixed my not going into the chamber problem, the shoulder was probally getting squished/deformed.

The second area I had to correct was the powder thu stage...make sure your only making enough contact to prevent powder spill, any more there and you will also deform it (the shoulder).

Third area, which I have not tried is the resizing stage, about only making contact, too late for me, I "overcamed" all my 1500+ shells at once...

If you can manually feed you bullet by hand and have it fire, then that fixes your deformed shoulder problem...now the feeding problem is still something I'm working on...I don't think I pulled down on the magzine (just up) to seat it propertly...reloading tonight and will test again tommorrow...now that I got the dam que tip out of the bolt carrier block (never again).

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Holy Necropost!

Welcome aboard, wjakubsky, jump on over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Go and by a case gauge that way you can check them when reloading Lyman 223 from Mid South is 15.00 part number is 015-7832323 Wilson gauge at MIDWAY IS 24.00 PART number is 456-614 this will help you set up your die I have them for every caliber that I reload for GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I had the same problems...man is rifle reloading much more complicated (frustrating) than straight wall pistol loading...

I'm using .223 lee dies on a lee loadmaster, 55gn boat tail copper plated bullets for a 5.56 barrel....

My fix was that I was over crimping with the lee factory crimp...my understanding is that you only crimp enough so that the bullet that the bullet is not spinning in the case...that fixed my not going into the chamber problem, the shoulder was probally getting squished/deformed.

The second area I had to correct was the powder thu stage...make sure your only making enough contact to prevent powder spill, any more there and you will also deform it (the shoulder).

Third area, which I have not tried is the resizing stage, about only making contact, too late for me, I "overcamed" all my 1500+ shells at once...

If you can manually feed you bullet by hand and have it fire, then that fixes your deformed shoulder problem...now the feeding problem is still something I'm working on...I don't think I pulled down on the magzine (just up) to seat it propertly...reloading tonight and will test again tommorrow...now that I got the dam que tip out of the bolt carrier block (never again).
If you managed to over crimp with a Lee crimper, go back and read the instructions carefully brother. If you do get a slight shoulder crush run them back through the FLSD after you remove the decapper assembly of course. Slow down be methodical and read the instructions each time you load more until it is second nature.
https://leeprecision.com/instructions.html

1 - 20 of 26 Posts