Perfect Union banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are fire companies going toward making smaller caliber handguns. I don't know about most of you but prefer the larger calibers such as .45ACP and 10mm. I just feel more comfortable knowing that if I ever have to use my fire against a threat, that the round is going to do significant damage. If Glock were to make a .44mag, they would rule the handgun industry.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Obama wants ammo that wont penetrate armor, I'm thinking they are just getting a headstart.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Seems to me Obama, Congress, whoever can just outlaw lawlessness. That ought to cover all bases and we can all live happily ever after!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Seems to me Obama, Congress, whoever can just outlaw lawlessness. That ought to cover all bases and we can all live happily ever after!
Oh yeah, criminals ALWAYS obey the law........................

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lets not get political here. Back to the question at hand. Why are fire companies going toward making smaller caliber handguns. I want true stopping power. And no BS comments like; “a .22 to the right target area will stop someone”. I want true center torso, leather coat penetrating, put down a 250lbs. thug stopping power.

·
Registered
236 Posts
torch2246:
I can speculate that maybe they see a market for smaller pocket-concealable firearms, but contact Sturm Ruger, Kel-Tec, Magnum Research, et al and see what they have to say directly. No BS there.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I tend to agree. I prefer .45 ACP but they tend to be more difficult to conceal in summer wear. I do own a Kahr K-40 covert in .40 S&W that is somewhat easier to conceal but am limited to 6 shots on the charge mag with a chambered round. A weapon in .380 ACP carries less punch than the .45 but can give the same ammo capacity in a much smaller size. A concealed weapon gives an advantage over an openly carried one. Also, regardless of caliber, the follow up shot may be the one that saves your life. If you have the ability to deliver 6 shots and need a 7th, you are in real trouble. The smaller calibers usually provide that 7th shot option in a smaller, more concealable,lighter weight handgun. I will concede that there is a trade off of power for the increased capacity.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey, if something small and portable is needed during the warm months, I've seen a few different pepperbox style .357 derringers. Two shots of that ought to be worth 8 or 10 of .380.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem is not concealable vs. capacity. For example, my glock 29 (sub-compact 10mm, 10 rounds in the mag 1 in the chamber) is more than concealable for me. I put the glock belt clip on it and just stick it in the back of my pants with a t-shirt covering the grip area. There is also the glock 36 (sub-compact slim line .45 auto, 6 rounds in the mag, 1 in the chamber), which is the same size as my glock 27 (sub-compact .40 cal with a plus 2 mag extender for 11 in the mag and 1 in the chamber) which I sometimes carry in an ankle holster with no problem. But guys are right there is something to be said for capacity. If you really feel that you may need a 10th, 11th or 12th round, then just carry a spare mag.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I do carry a spare, two in fact. Needing 10 rounds for one assailant points to a real need to practice. I tend to be in the less savory areas of town on a regular basis and often after dark. I'm not so worried about 1 opponent as I am 3-4. With odds like that, I would be more than happy to expend my ammo to successfully extend an escape.

I tried the Glock 36. I did not like it at all. It didn't fit my hand well. Derringers are good for what they are good for. IMHO, a gunfight is not something that they are good for, especially when the opposing force is wielding anything that shoots more than 2 shots between reloads.

·
Registered
171 Posts
just a hunch, but maybe they are getting ready for higher ammo prices? some of the smaller loads are much cheaper then .45 or .40 to shoot. I have a 9mm for personal protection. good stopping power with right loads. and has a 17+1 capacity. with a spare mag that should be more then enough rounds.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Taurus PT 145 here 10+1 .45ACP. Small enough to conceal on my 5'6" frame, easier if I would loose some of this weight haha. Big enough, esp with spare mag, for a showdown.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm not going to say "a .22 to the right target, blah blah blah." But I will say that any caliber is better than no caliber.
I carry the keltec pf 9, 9mm and have thought about getting the .380 they have. My wife carries a sigsauer .380 for her everyday conceal carry. we both carry with an spare mag (the wife's fossil purse I had custom modified and is an awesome carry rig for her). When I've carried her .380 on occassion I've never felt under gunned. Unless there is a bad primer (which I've never experienced) neither handgun has ever had a failure to fire. Coupled with the right self defense ammo (winchester rangers when I can get my hands on it, winchester supreme elite or federal hydra-shoks when I can't, and on occassion speer gold dot) the .380 is quite capable. I also don't know a single situation where I would depend on one shot. Everything I've practiced/trained for is at least a double tap.

when you are lugging around a 4 year old and a 10month old the weight of your carry becomes a huge factor. 8 rounds and the gun weigh less than the same in a compact 45 for the wife, and then 7 rounds in the backup mag still weighs substantially less than 7 rounds of .45. while it does not leave the wound channel of a .45 or 10mm it is substantially more effective than say a derringer two shot of 22 short.

also knowing that the gun will go BANG every time, seeing my wife put shots on upper center mass (chest cavity) in normal range, low light, moving shooting conditions (as well as myself) even if the bad guy has a gun more than likely bad guy is going to lose. I've always been a mind of
Situational Awareness + Training + shot placement + effective caliber > Big Caliber

·
Registered
120 Posts
I carry my Glock M 27 under my shirt in the warm months. Never had an issue with it.
Mike

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Around here during the summer months it can get ridiculously sticky. Talking high 90s with 100% humidity and a heat index of 110 or greater. During this kind of weather you are looking at flip flops, shorts and a light t-shirt. I love my Glock 27 but I got to tell you it can print pretty well given the right clothes. Sure, some people might not look at printing as an issue but I don't like it. I don't want people to know I am carrying mainly because I look pretty young and it could cause unwanted attention. When this situation arises I look for my Kel-Tec P3AT (.380 auto). It is not ideal but with Speer Gold Dots it is much better than nothing. The best thing about my P3AT is I could be wearing nothing but spandex (not saying that this would ever happen) and no one would ever know I was carrying.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Around here during the summer months it can get ridiculously sticky. Talking high 90s with 100% humidity and a heat index of 110 or greater. During this kind of weather you are looking at flip flops, shorts and a light t-shirt. I love my Glock 27 but I got to tell you it can print pretty well given the right clothes. Sure, some people might not look at printing as an issue but I don't like it. I don't want people to know I am carrying mainly because I look pretty young and it could cause unwanted attention. When this situation arises I look for my Kel-Tec P3AT (.380 auto). It is not ideal but with Speer Gold Dots it is much better than nothing. The best thing about my P3AT is I could be wearing nothing but spandex (not saying that this would ever happen) and no one would ever know I was carrying.
Yup. I know what you mean.
I spent the week of the 4th of July in Wilmington NC and carrying was a bit more challenging than when I'm at home. I usually wore light polo shirts and tucked the M 27 into my belt but I also carried in the pocket of my cargo shorts with a piece of folded paper to break up the outline.
Mike

·
Registered
226 Posts
Most people buy a personal protection handgun without a bunch of research. They go to a store, or two, and just pick one. Most of them will be first time buyers, and buy whatever thay are sold.

Much of the misconception that they will buy into is that a small bullet equals less "kick". Standing in gun stores, I've heard a million folks ask about "kick" or "kick-back". The jerk behind the counter is all too happy to tell them that their 10 ounce 380 won't "kick-back" hard... Nice...

Also, it's an easier sell for the salesman, as typically, they are pretty cheap...

As for me, I'm looking at a 380, and I do know the limitations are there. I'd rather have my 45 along, but sometimes it's just not feasable. As a customer, I'm an easy sell on pistols, as all you have to do is have the pistol I want in stock, and at a competitive price. I do the research, and I walk in and buy.

For me, the small guns are that gun I'll carry that's better than no gun at all. That's a whole-nuther batch of customers. Not that we are un-knowing, but that we are knowing, just accepting.

Yes, there are multiple markets for the small guns and manufacturers are smart to throw new offerings in there.

·
Registered
287 Posts
They sell very well! Firearm companies make their living off the sales of firearms, the more they sell, the more money they make<_<. The Ruger LCP (little cute pistol) may be the best selling firearm out there right now, try to find one. Why do they sell well? Not sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts