Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we all know what it takes to make a mini-14 shooter better, a heavier barrel, why dont Ruger get with it and start putting heavier barrels on the mini-14 instead of the crappy little barrel it comes out with, and dont say cost, i bet it wouldnt cost over 10 bucks a piece for them to do it heck the suggested retail for the new mini's is close to 700 bucks a bit steep for a rifle that shoots a 6 inch open sight group Ruger are you listining??? gut

·
Registered
689 Posts
Gutpile thats been hashed around quite a bit. I think a better quality barrel blank would help(SHILIN,DOUGLAS,ect.) I,m not sure how much thet could open up the gas block diameter or what modifications on the slide for a big diameter barrel. They,d have to do it with as little tooling changes as possible. If it added to much to the cost they would,nt sell. They did offer the 10 22 with a hammer forged barrel. My guess is Ruger may have already tried the H BAR mini and results were,nt as they,d hoped or it was,nt cost effective? Remember if you get the price up around $600.00 that will close to AR 15 cost. A cheap AR with the right load will shootr pretty damn good. Plus ya can get good AR mags a helluva lot cheaper! They,d still sell a few of those H BAR mini,s to mini lovers but not enough to cover costs. You gotta remember RUGER is a publicly held Co. on the stock exchange. Just because Bill R uger might want to do something does,nt mean he can.

·
Registered
13 Posts
:) The modified barrel would also make the gun heavier and appear somewhat differently, but I think the gas block could be engineered to provide more support without altering the look and weight of the weapon much. Ex. If the section of the barrel where the hole is drilled would be made thicker (like one inch ring) then the hole will not weaken the barrel much and the verticle force can be absorbed better locally; the vibration pattern of the thin barrel would be disrupted at that supper strong (thicker) ring to make shorter wave and lower amplitude (tighter groups) for the identical forces caused by the diverted hot gas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts