Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why isn't there more semi auto high power rifles on the market? I know we have the Browning BAR and the Remington 7400, but why is there not more? We have a gazillion makes and models of bolt guns, handguns, crossbows, you name it. But when it comes to a self-loading general purpose rifle, we have two choices. The Remington 7400 is almost the perfect rifle that I'm talking about if it would only function properly. I hear they are a jam-o-matic. There are aftermarket 10 round mags available for these rifles and in a caliber like 30-06 or .308 Win, would be a great all purpose rifle. Then the Browning auto is a fine rifle but it is so expensive and you can only get the 5 rd. or whatever capacity mags. Those things cost about $50!
If some good gun company would make a nice, reliable gun like this and if factory or Promag 10 rounders were available for about $10-$12 each, wouldn't that be an attractive rifle? Keep the cost in the $400-$500 range, keep the rifle simple and rugged and produce it in several large calibers. I'm not concerned with evil features as these are merely "gadgets" to me anyway. This way we could own a non-evil rifle that could serve as a hunting rifle or defensive rifle if necessary, and be effective at most ranges you would need a rifle for anyway. And there is plenty of quality FMJ out there for such a rifle at a good price and premium loads as well. The perfect gun in my opinion, if they only built the damn thing!
How many would buy this rifle if it existed? Maybe some gun company VIP will browse through here and see this and create something else for us rifle freaks. I am surprised someone hasn't thought of this yet. A company would get rich if they could get a corner on this market, which wouldn't be hard to do. Post your thoughts here.

op-rod

·
Registered
689 Posts
Well I suppose the bigger companies judge the market to see if theres enough money (profit) in a new rifle. As you stated there is already the Browning BAR, Remington 7400, and H&K's new model that looks similar to the BAR and is grossly overpriced at about $2000.00. You have to remember there are Springfields M1A's in 308 with plenty of 10rnd. mags available plus FAL's, G3's and AK type 308 cal. Saiga and Vepr's and AR 10's, M1 Garands can be had in 308 and 06. Not to mention fewer states are allowing semiautos for hunting. So if the profits don't add up for the engineering costs and tooling it aint gonna happin. By the way if you keep an eye on the auction boards used BARs can be had for $450.00-500.00. I have a used Belgium 06. in gradeII that I paid $500.00 for and they do shoot fairly well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Personally, I believe the reason there isnt a large demand, at least I dont think there is, for what you're asking for is that: One, people dont generally want to go blasting off ammo thats expensive on a regular basis. Secondly, most people dont require a semi-auto in large bore, simply because those types of weapons are generally for large game, which one shot is usually used to take them down. Third, large game can tend to be dangerous, i.e. bears, moose in rut, and African animals, and the semi-auto isnt reliable enough for that situation. Fourth, large bores are generally wanted to be as accurate as possible for large game, and thats just not a common characteristic of semi-autos. Fifth, semi-autos dont lend themselves well to accepting as wide a range of ammo for the handloader, i.e. C.O.L. limitations, magazine limitations of C.O.L., feeding problems with different bullet types-designs. This is how I see it, however its just my opinion. I would like to have one myself, but it has to be perfect, and not have any of these problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How about Ruger making the mini-14 type rifle in more than .223, and 7.62X39 choices. Of course they would have to beef up the weapons as the calibre gets heavier, but I think it would work. It would give the M1A some definite competition. Just my .02

glynb:usa:

·
Registered
689 Posts
glynb Ruger did make a BIG MINI it was called the XGI. They were going to bring it out in 1985 The book I have here( Assault Pistols and Rifles and Submachine Guns) shows a picture of it on page 115 also an article saying it was to use M14 mags and chambered in 308 and 243 cal. Picture looks like an over grown Ranch rifle. It's interesting for sure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Flak2, It's a shamed they didn't continue production. I would love to have one in stainless steel and .308 calibre. Any way you can scan that picture and post it on this site?

Thanks,

glynb :samurai:

·
Registered
689 Posts
I don't have the puter smarts or equipment sorry. You may be able to do a search under Ruger XGI or something on Yahoo or another search engine and find pictures. The book was written by Duncan Long there black&white photos.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had one on order when they were slated to be made, but it didn't work out. Seems ruger took the m-14 action and downsized it to the 223 cal. they made a few modifications, seems the modifications won't let the rifle function safely back up to 308 length. To think I sold a HK-91 to buy it!
OH BTW some states won't allow semi's for hunting, Pa. doesn't
RR
:cannon: :rapid:

·
Registered
8 Posts
op-rod
I have been using a 7400 for about 15 yrs. My father has been using one for well over 25 years. Both are in 30-06.
Neither of use have had any problems with the gun ever, both have taken several large game animals over the years.
Its a great gun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts