Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened to me the other day on an H&R that was very clean, lubed with a new looking clip. Unfortunately, I didn't try other "new" clips. Only had a few match rounds with me at the time. Twice, on a 8 rd clip, it popped up, not out, before I'd finished the rounds. Any ideas? If so, please email me at:
[email protected] . thanks Jon

·
Registered
10 Posts
My understanding is this is typically due to the latch clip spring being worn. Many people replace the latch clip and the latch clip spring as a set to solve this problem. I have also heard that if you pull the spring out and stretch it so its 1/8 to 3/32 inch longer...it will fix the problem for a while (eventually the spring will return to its original length).

While I have never personally had this problem with my M1, I have spoken to people who say this is a somewhat common problem. The spring and latch simply wear out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This is due to a slight distortion of the bullet guide, sometimes accompanied
by wear to operating rod catch. It is in the armorer's manual and my book,
THE COMPLETE M1 GARAND(p.31. This will not allow the clip latch to function
fully. It is often just enough to interfere with the follower arm as well!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Some of the clips themselves can cause problems, especially if the phosphate is too thick. I learned to use furniture polish on those black
"AGE"-coded ones from the CMP, as they generally won't work. But the
TM's all verify in detail what I said above. Replacing the clip latch and spring with sometimes help for about 10-15 rounds, but even that is RARE.
The literature is correct.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts