Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 308 rifle niche was already filled with the M1A, FN/FAL, PTR-91, Remington Woodsmaster, and various bolt action 308 rifles.

Heavy Duty SHTF Battle Rifles - AllOutdoor.com

Sometimes there is a real need for more firepower. As popular as the AR-15 in .223/5.56 is with survivalists and preppers, a good argument can be made for having a prep rifle delivering more target impact at long ranges. This means the .308/7.62 in a heavier platform than the M4 type ARs that are so prolific these days.
I remember reading about the AR-10 decades ago. Why it took so long for an AR platform in 308 Winchester to go main stream I do not know. Now that it seems a lot of AR manufacturers are jumping on the 308 bandwagon, I have to ask is it really needed?

What niche does the AR-10 platform fill that the M1A, FN/FAL, PTR-91, Remington Woodsmaster, and dozens of bolt action rifles do not already fill?

If anything I would like to see the AR platform in something like the 243 Winchester. A little bit more power than the 223, and less recoil than a full sized rifle round like the 270 or 30-06.

It seems the AR-10 platform in 308 is trying to fill a niche that is already full.

·
Operation:Mindcrime
3,036 Posts
The niche you present is caliber based, so anything, including a breach loading rifle (not mentioned) fits inside. Are tactical SxS shotguns, and lever guns stupid and ugly? In my opinion yes, but Im not who they are marketed towards. Who is to say when the niche is full? If its full then, I guess no one should make any new 308/762 caliber rifles.

The main niche for the AR-10, in my opinion, is for people who like the AR-15 platform, but want more boom. Thats reason enough. Thing is, the AR-10 is what lead to the development of the AR15, so why not then.

People will buy it. People can buy it. In the arena of gun rights and gun ownership, the question of "need" or "necessary" as it relates to selling, buying, and owning a firearm, shouldnt be cause for concern. That sort of thinking and talk helps provide fuel for gun bans. Clinton did it with hunters and autoloaders.

After an HK91, M1A, Belgian FAL, and Izzy FAL, do I want an AR10?
Hell yeah! Dont have one, like the platform, dont have to have a reason, and cause I can!

echo sierra

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
Reactions: RJF

·
Registered
108 Posts
If anything I would like to see the AR platform in something like the 243 Winchester.
you can get that. armalite made some 243 others might too. The one my father in law has is stupid loud because muzzle brake, but it was within 3/4 moa in various weather. It was also green from the factory which made me want it for bambi time. I really wouldn't call 308 a nich. Its possibly one of the most common rounds available today. Semi auto 308 seems to always have trade offs, either accuracy weight or reliability. I have chosen m1a, but I have been through a few other platforms to get back to the m1a. Its more of what does what you want it to do and makes you happy. The ar platform is great for the military folks who are used to holding the m14's. When it boils down the ar platform is kind of universal anything from 22 to 308 and many in between.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I see it as guys who discovered, or rediscovered, shooting have filled their safes with custom built AR15s and now want something else--but they're afraid to get far from their comfort zones. They don't want to have to slow down and learn how to shoot for precision, or to learn about handloading, so they just want to jump up in size rather than skill.

AR10s are neat, but they're not really my cup. They're generally less manageable, they're heavy, and they like to jump on the bench. If you're standing up shooting one, you go through a mag and are uncomfortable afterwards. There are two areas I find the AR10 painful--one is the shoulder. The stocks are 'upsized' from the lighter recoiling brethren that are a one-size solution, and do little to minimize pain. The other area I see guys getting hurt is right above their right leg on the backside. Stepping up to the more expensive ammo is painful on the wallet ;)

As for myself, there will be a SCAR17 in the closet before I ever have an AR10. Sure I've got my 'dream' AR10 planned out, but by the time it's SBR'd, silenced, and wearing thermal optics the SCAR is actually cheaper...

·
3,036 Posts
AR10s are neat, but they're not really my cup. They're generally less manageable, they're heavy, and they like to jump on the bench. If you're standing up shooting one, you go through a mag and are uncomfortable afterwards. There are two areas I find the AR10 painful--one is the shoulder. The stocks are 'upsized' from the lighter recoiling brethren that are a one-size solution, and do little to minimize pain. The other area I see guys getting hurt is right above their right leg on the backside.
Reminds me a bit of the battle rifles being too heavy thread:lol:

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Yes Please!

No we don't NEED an AR in 308 But I'd sure LIKE one !:lol::lol::lol:

·
Son of the South
546 Posts
HHHMMM,Need? No,But Want just because.Also Want 45LC and 357 Mag lever action. 50 cal semi auto handgun, Savage and Remington .308 bolt action rifles,AX50 rifle,McMillan Tac .338 ect..ect.. WHY because We CAN!!!!!

·
3,036 Posts
WHY because We CAN!!!!!
Yes, sir. One should not have to "justify" the reason beyond the mere fact that we can. Ive been asked that question before by gun owners (mostly pure hunters), and it makes me highly suspect of their commitment to the 2nd amendment.

Reactions: BWM and Bepe

·
Registered
61 Posts
The number one reason is accuracy. None of the European rifle are anywhere near as accurate and are generally heavier to boot. It is a tough call for me between the M1 style rifles and an AR-10. But the AR 10 is more accurate and doesn't have operating rod limitations.the new generation of AR 10 are also lighter. I do like the Remington semi autos, they make a great hunting rifle but cannot take ammo dumps, heavy loads and require careful cleaning.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have one and love it.
Why do I have one?
1) It's the original AR
2) It's more accurate than the M1A
3) It's cheaper than the M1A
4) It's more modular then most other .308 rifles.
5) Sometimes you just need a bigger hammer.

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
371 Posts
I couldn't wait for a lighter weight ,& more reliable AR -10. 3 and a half years ago; I bought a SCAR 17 S. I love it, My favorite & highly accurate .30 cal carbine.
Currently, I know at least 3 AR's in .308 , are really great . Competition is closing in.

If you ran a Scar 17 , for any amount of time, many would consider it too.
Not going to trade my 17 S. for any of them , (AR's) Sorry "Stoner fans" .

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I have one and love it.
Why do I have one?
1) It's the original AR
2) It's more accurate than the M1A
3) It's cheaper than the M1A
4) It's more modular then most other .308 rifles.
5) Sometimes you just need a bigger hammer.
I agree with this even though I went with the M1A since I trained and qualified with the M14. Also the M14/M1A can relieve Garand fever! The price of the AR-10 is really good these days so I see one on my short list. Maybe ArmaLite's new models that use the original magazine like Knights Armament and Magpul. A current ArmaLite similar to the original 1950s ArmaLite is tempting. There are lightweight models, too. S&W has good prices.

If you're familiar with the AR-15 you'll find the AR-10 a natural. And many accessories fit both rifles. I'm glad the AR-10 is catching on ... finally.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Why do we need an AR in 308?

That is an interesting question.

Why do we need cars that go 120-150-200 mph when the speed limit is 65 or possibly 75?

Why do we need so many laws when the ones on the books are ignored? Personally I think the one against murder should have cut violent crime down to nothing.

Why are liberals allowed to breed?

Why are the working classes fined (called "taxed") to support the healthy and fit non-working class?

I guess we will never know.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts