Perfect Union banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Count me as one who thinks the GL is useless...bayonet too...might as well be carrying a full length rifle in a full power rifle cartridge. Launching golf balls or fake grenades doesn't do anything for me...shot enough real ones out of an M203 in the military to satisfy me. If it doesn't explode on impact and destroy something what's the point? So I removed the GL on my 59/66, also the bayo, bayo mount, GL sight and flip up night sights. I cut the barrel down to 18" and recrowned, then I ground the front sight assembly down to just the front sight and reinstalled it back into it's original position. Now I have a handy carbine without all the extra weight and length to deal with. I have an M59 also...it remains untouched. My 59/66 was a beater and I bought it as a project gun...would not have cut up a nice one. But then again I wouldn't have bought a nice 59/66 to begin with...too long and heavy a rifle for the cartridge IMO.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I took the grenade launcher site off of my Yugo and It did improve the appearance but I left the muzzle device on as it tends to send the muzzle noise down range and not back to my ears. It makes it slightly more bearable to shoot. To each is own.

kwg

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
You folks are correct in pointing out that actual milsurps should not be permanently altered (though some are said to be beyond help).
A classic military rifle is a classic. Civilian-styled guns never really appealed to me.

None of my guns, whether the Yugo Mauser, Norinco SKS, four Enfields and Garand have been modified one bit. The same goes for my ancient (1940's) Savage .22 and wood/ss Mini 30.

As I've always suggested on other websites that Enfields and other classics (before the SKS) not be altered, it hit me that my topic here is hypocritical:eek:, to be frank.
But having contradicted my own 'policy', still always enjoy reading everybody's views.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I bought a beater yugo when they were like $100, cut of the barrel down to 17" and ditched the bayonet and GL, great brush gun, reliable as holy crap. Wish I had bought a nice one too when the "select" grade was like $150, wish I had also bought a albanian when they were like $89. Are the days of sub $200 dollar semi auto milsurps over? Yes I think they are, and for that I'm sad.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think a more pertinent question might be "Why do people take the grenade launchers off Yugos?" If you don't like grenade launchers, don't buy historical rifles that have grenade launchers.
I like your thinking! That's why mine is still pristine. (It shoots great and looks cool.)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
DiN BLiX:

Our president's choice as the new ATF Director reportedly will try to create regulations to block imported military rifles.

The White House already blocked huge numbers of M-1 Garands and Carbines from being imported out of South Korea months ago.
Some CMP staff who visited the storage facility were not too impressed with the corrosion in many of them, but that is not the point.

The White House kept shifting the blame to other govt. agencies, one of whom claimed that criminal elements could have had access to powerful guns with large 'clips'.
It seems possible that US commercial importers could have some access to them, but not the CMP.
I could easily be mistaken about what I read months ago.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
My Smithsonian condition blond T-Series (1983) unissued/as new from crate of consequtive serial # M59/66A1s had it's GL cut off (Rifle was neutered)for shipment to California ,but I found a Rockloc M6 SKS Muzzle Brake (M14 style with allen Set screw mounting ) that allows for the Bayo to function & lock into place properly .

·
Registered
49 Posts
Actually, I may take GL, ladder sights and bayo lug off my Yugo when I convert it to a bull pup. I bought a second one to keep in original configuration

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The Yugo is pretty hideous. It is as long and about as heavy as an M1. Still, I'd leave it alone.

My son has one. It eats my Russian SKS for lunch off the bench. 2-inch 5-shot groups versus 4 1/2-inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards. The Yugo's trigger is quite decent. The Russian's trigger takes two men and a boy to pull.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
bmcgilvray:

My first ("temporary";)) gun modification to my Norinco is mostly complete. Having brought up the grenade launch topic, it's hypocritical that I would never consider a permanent mod., to any other gun.

Anyway, this Tech Sight might need some tuning in, but even though the only targets were Coke bottles in the river bed from about 80-100', it is so much better than the original leaf sight.

An added benefit is that the aperture seems to be adjusted low enough to prevent the many high shots that resulted with the old sight.
You have the circular front sight hood to quickly center inside this fairly large aperture, allowing you to then fine tune where the post's tip should be.

The 1" 'slip on' butt pad not only improves the length of pull, but keeps your eye further from the aperture. A small can of "Sight Black" would prevent reflection from late afternoon sun in these sights. Birchwood Casey sells it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
DiN_BLiX;637391 Are the days of sub $200 dollar semi auto milsurps over? Yes I think they are said:
Yup, ancient history now and that's one of the big reasons I leave my milsurps in their original condition. I have an old '03 Springfield I bought years ago for $125 out the door. Check out what the prices are for an '03 Springfield is these days. Bet even a rust bucket beater is going to be $125 and if you have an unmolested version like I have, the price is CONSIDERBLY higher! Mosin-Nagants and SKS rifles may not be real big collectors items these days but neither were Springfields, Mausers and Krags years ago when they were a dime a dozen. I would venture to say that if I sold 2 or 3 of my more collectable milsurps, I could easily buy a new SCAR, high end AR-15 or most any other decent fighting rifle a bubba job Yugo SKS is trying to be.
Of course all that being said, I am fully in favor of "sporterizing" as many milsurps and SKS's as possible. The more originals that are destroyed (I won't go higher in price than $20 for a hacked up milsurp/SKS) the higher the value is on my unmolested originals. :D

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
You got that rignt. I bought a pristine Model 96 Swedish Mauser back in the early '80s for a hundred dollar bill, from the gun shop. I wish I could find that same deal today!

·
Erin go Braugh
157 Posts
You gotta have a golf ball launcher!

I find this question amusing... I LEFT the grenade launcher on my Yugo SKS because... imagine this, now... I ACTUALLY LAUNCH ( dud) GRENADES off of it!!! I know!!! Crazy talk, right?!?!? I mean who would have imagined SUCH a use?!?!?

I get close to a hundred yards without a grenade attacked to the launcher, and about 50-65 with.

I still have hundreds of blanks to send them off...

AND...

I know THIS will defy belief...

I attach a GOLF BALL LAUNCHER to it... and launch golf balls into the next county!!

Talk about a hoot!!!

You go taking your grenade launcher off, and you have just NEUTERED one of the most FUN parts of a Yugo SKS you could possibly have!!

You have NO IDEA the fun you are missing out on!!!

:lol:
If you want a great squirrel(etc) round or to have a less than lethal round for an attacker or dogs. The golf ball launcher will do the trick! Cheap and easy and the sights for grenades are great for the golf balls too.:ph34r: Also looks bad a$$ while your being bad a$$!

41 - 60 of 70 Posts